• Forum membership has its advantages....

Jeep Rear End?

BIG_FAT_LOSER

How wise would it be to swap a Jeep wagoneer (mid 80's-90's) rear end into my 2wd Toyota? Mine is slowly failing. I am mainly wanting a wider track, lower gears, limited slip or locker. And the lug pattern is the same. No real plans of racing, just the usual hammering. I'm thinking this may be a cheaper than a 9"

<font color=red>PAT KAPKO</font color=red>
"DISCO FEVER"

DougM

Those may be the Iron Dana 44s but im not sure. It would be easier to get a Ford Explorer 8.8 with 31 spline axles and prbably cheaper UNLESS you have a Jeep rear already lined up. What about a newer Toyota rear end?

dm
Jeep owner with the vunerable Dana 35c

Jerry Zaiden

Pat, I am with Doug. I don't know how it will work but if a 95 or newer Explorer rear end will work it has disk brakes, a locker, and close to 4:00 gears in it for around $500 from the local yards.

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Yeah, I'm with Jerry, your stock rear end is better than that jeep rearend which is a dana 35, which is the same as a jeep wrangler which many people are swapping the exploder 8.8 in. I would go with the exploder 8.8.

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Thanks, The explorer never crossed my mind, even though I have one in my driveway. lol. Wonder if the wife will notice?

"DISCO FEVER"

gary

how much wider is the explorer rear end than the toyota? pat, i was thinking jeep axles too, for my toyota. just not in need yet, but i do wanna go wider.

singlehanded

What is the lug pattern on a explorer? I think I might end up getting that rear end for my ranger. Warn makes a floater kit for it also.

local

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Explorers are 59 inches (2 inches wider than a ranger) depending on year and 5 on 4.5 center lug.

Kris

"Revenge is best served cold"

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
I'm pretty sure that all Explorer rearends are the same width. I don't know though. If you pull one from a '95 up Explorer you get discs too.

David - No one of consequence.

BIG_FAT_LOSER

and explorers are 4 to 5 inches wider than a toyota

What about a a Cherokee rear end? Just asking opinions, options?

<font color=yellow>INLAND PRERUNNERS MEMBER OF THE YEAR </font color=yellow>

ntsqd

Depending on donor vintage there are a variety of rear ends used in later (small) Cherokees. One is the Pentastar 8.25", note it's not the more famous 8-3/4" I believe both the D44 and the D35 came in those at various times. There may be a couple others as well. The 8.25" isn't a bad unit, but the drum brakes are puny. Something like 9"x2" with a 10"x?" optional. Might be the case with all of them.
Why not move to 6 lug and use the FROR floater kit with 4WD parts on a Yoter 8" ?

TS

"Teach you all I know and you're still stupid"
-- Howdy Lee

Greg

If you look long and hard you will find some '87 cheerokees (first year of the 4.0) had the same dimensions as the regular rear but had dana 60 gears. not sure of the axle size though.

Greg