Jeepspeed Front Suspension

OneTime12

Reaction
Hey guys,

Been having issues with my front shock mounts riping out. I have the T&J mounts that have been welded in. They are ripping out from the rear and appear to be pulling forward (see picture). They have been welded once and are continuing to tear. The driverside is worse but both sides are tearing out. Ive cycled the suspension and the limit straps are stretched but seem to be stretching just before the limit of the shock. Purchased 4 new straps and plan to double up. Shocks are leaking a little but nothing major and no visable damage from the shock possibly over extending. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Will Hines

Attachments

• IMG00061-20090514-1715.jpg
    IMG00061-20090514-1715.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 770
  • IMG00060-20090514-1715.jpg
    IMG00060-20090514-1715.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 1,617
  • IMG00064-20090514-1720.jpg
    IMG00064-20090514-1720.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 646

sickdayz

Reaction
I'm not expert when it comes to these jeeps, but it looks like you could use a little more, well placed mass in that mount. It looks pretty thin. Even though the shock is not carrying the load at full droop, it is carrying it all the way down and there is a lot of force there.

Random Thoughts Racing

Reaction
The strap is too long or has stretched. Cycling in the garage and letting only the axle weight rest on the straps does not take into account the operational effect of all the unsprung weight yanking on the strap (and in this case the shock and upper mount) when it reaches full droop. Also I see that you have old and outdated Bilstein components. The current Bilstein internals and rod will change the extended and collapsed length slightly, and yeild a full 10" travel. We should talk updates before you build around those obsolete bits. Performance gains with the new stuff goes without saying.

joel @ Bilstein

Joel Ward
Off Road/Motorsports Technical Supervisor
ThyssenKrupp Bilstein of America
(858) 386-5955
joel.ward@bilstein.com

Tipracer

Reaction
I have seen Jeepspeeds that plate and rosetta weld lots of additional metal in that area and tie it to the frame(they also have trick steering box braces as these will rip out as well), check out the jeepspeed website, lots of info on chassis set up on there

OneTime12

Reaction
Thanks guys for the advice,

Joel this is what i was thinking was happening and was hoping that doubling up the straps might help. Im thinking now that i will get the adjustable clevis so i can fine tune the strap length. In regards to the shocks, i will definitely be giving you a call, these shocks have been great in the years that i have had them.

atomicjoe23

Reaction
Definitely plate that area. . .that's just not enough weld strength for the application. . .metal looks to be too thin. . .

Jeepspeedster

Reaction
tie the back end of the mount to your engine cage.
check you shock valving, it might be too much valve or frozen shock piston.

Post on www.jeepspeed.com for more info