Jeepspeed or Toyota 7s / 12

BlueCoyote

Reaction
Decisoin time for me.
Have an 81 Toyota 4x that I was getting ready to build for MDR Class 12 / 1450 or 7s. Have all the tube, cell, shocks, and tons of spare parts.
But have had second thoughts - been thinking about going with Jeepspeed. Have a change to get a cherokee for cheap - 4cyl, 5sp, 4x4.
Both trucks are in about the same conditoin - motors are out, machine work done, ready to assemble. Both will need a cage work, etc. As for build time and cost they will be the same.
This will be my first desert racing vehicle. Have lots of experaince with Toyota, and have tons of spare parts. Have no Jeep experaince. But Jeep parts are cheaper than Toyota.
Now the though part:
As a first time racer am I better going with Toyota in Stock Mini, because it is a smaller class and I have lots of product knowledge?
Or am I better starting off with Jeepspeed because it is a larger class and therefor better contingincy$, potential payback, and room for growth?
All your expert opinions greatly appreciated.

Who are you calling Coyote ugly?
84 Toyota p/u Rokrawlr
86 4rnr
80 Toyota MDR Project

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
If you are in it for the money...you need a different hobby..seriously! 1450 or stock mini is your best bet, 7s is expensive to be competitive. As for the Jeep Speed...if you want to be competitive in that class you will need the I6 4L...that is a kickass motor.

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late..."

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Like Kris said, I would only go jeepspeed if you had the I6 motor. Otherwise, go stock mini and get experience racing.

See ya in the dirt!

Bryan_D

Reaction
Just a little note on the contingency of jeepspeed that they have the largest payout of any MDR class and we also have the most backing from major sponsors like valvoline, bfg, american racing wheels as well as a ton of other suspension companies and other companies like HOWE and numerous others as well. If you are interested in Jeepspeed and this goes to anyone that reads this just write me and I will set you up with as many people as possible to make the building of your rig as easy as possible and if you are posetive that you want to build a car let jeepspeed know this and they can issue you a number and you can get all of the racer discounts as you are building it, the hookups are amazing. Also if you need a car let me know I know a guy in Coachella that races JS and he has endless supplies of jeep parts that you will need and for cheap. ALso for the price you can race the sportsman class to start out with and then move to the pro class later. The entries are cheaper and you dont have to have the high dollars to get started. SO let me know. Bryan

AllwaysRcn

Reaction
If your in it for the payback, built a newer Ford ranger and run stock mini in BITD. Nothing compares to the contingency program Ford has brought to the BITD series. If your in it for the love of the sport, build whatever you feel confident with.

Jack

Reaction
It is also a very fun class. We almost always help others in class with parts manpower or just advice. After the last race of the year, we all got together at one pit for a BBQ and party. We all pit (main pit) together in one big line, so it is easy to keep up with what is going on in the race.

Bryan_D

Reaction
You dont need one as ruff as the jeep in the classifieds. You can get a running 4x4 4dr police prepped cherokee that is running with the 91 and up 4.0ho I6 for like 2500.00 and you can drive it until you are ready to race. Either way the 7s in the BITD and the JS both look fun but I am biased to the JS because mine is almost complete. What do they charge for entry fees with the 7trucks? The sportsman JS is like 250.00 or something like that so figure that in as well, as well as the length of races you will be racing as far as pit support and tires and extra parts.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
I think I heard that next year for BITD the Stock Minis have to be no more then 2 or 3 years old...can anybody confirm this?

Kris

AllwaysRcn

Reaction
Thats what I understand also! They will pay less for the older trucks in the same class though!

BA_DirtDriver

Reaction
What is the Ford BITD program, or more over is it online somewhere? I went to BITD and it just says to call for details.

StandOnTheGas

Reaction
To win in BITD Stock Mini you have to beat Rob McCracken (SP?). Does not seem easy.

THROTTLE DOWN

Josh_Westwood

Reaction
If you do not have the newer body style Ford truck, than you get less Ford money. From what I have heard instead of $10,000 for 1st, $5,000 for 2nd, etc. You will get half the prize money, $5,000 for 1st, $2,500 for 2nd, etc.

SANDlessNSeattle

rock solid user name
Reaction
Wow now that sux that Ford would do that, kinda blows the whole longest lasting on the road thing...JUST A THOUGHT : they should pay more for the older trucks and sel it as THE BEST NEVER RUST THEY JUST GET FASTER!!!!! or some other cool marketing poop......

Start drinking till you see double and act single

AllwaysRcn

Reaction
Since Ford uses these classes as "proving grounds" for production parts, it wouldn't make sence to R & D a part that is no longer in production.

SANDlessNSeattle

rock solid user name
Reaction
WE are not talking R&D, I was just making a statement that cutting the check in half for a person who has an older truck kinda sux because a win,place or show still says something about the product doesn't it???new or old???

Start drinking till you see double and act single

AllwaysRcn

Reaction
I was thinking maybe they're doing this as incentive for racers to build-up newer production vehicles? Yes it sucks, but it's still better than any purse we get for class 1,10,9 etc.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Ford is essentially paying for R&D like stated above. Older trucks have already been R&D'ed so it seems Ford is paying it to be nice per se. Ford could just say they will only pay to new vehicles and then a lot of people would be screwed....I think it is good money either way and since they are the only ones who step up...they get to have it their way.

Kris

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
It is so typical that Ford would be the only one's interesed in our sport. Buy hey, you guys keep buying those Chevys and Dodges!

-Blue Oval Boys

See ya in the dirt!

Tomack

Reaction
The whole thing behind the things that you guys are talking about is that, in order to get the ford money you have to keep up with the production of the trucks. So there for if you have a stock mini like ours you are going to have to get a new truck for next year(2003). Ford wants people to run the newest and Latest. So Everytime that Mac wins he gets the whole amount of the money. So to get to the point in 2003 you must have and a-arm truck, not I-Beam. Witck sucks because we all know to an extent that I-beams are way better than A-arms in that department.

"If you aint racin, you aint livin"