• Forum membership has its advantages....

Jerry Bundy 73 jeep commando #316/#416

Bloke

jeep (1).jpg
I am very interested if anyone has more pictures or video of this Jeep racing? or racing stories on it.

La Tijereta

Well.. Jerry Bundy also raced out west in the 80's.. This was from the 88' SCORE Mojave race..

Centerline Images.1988.Mojave.Bundy.21x.jpg

@Centerline Images

retroblazer

Bundy raced and won Class 3 at the Baja 1000 with this Jeep. A Weber carbed I6 powered it. The short course Jeep in the top picture has been for sale for quite awhile, too bad, it's a kool old race car.

retroblazer

Bundy started to race the Jeep in the top picture again, after I started the Formula 4x4 class at Crandon. I'm guessing that it was 2001 or 2002 that Jerry started to participate. He did quite well and won many times.

Bloke

Thanks retroblazer, #316 top is no longer for sale. I know it ran in the Formula 4x4, I believe it may have won the johnsonville 4x4 there at one point?

retroblazer

Johnsonville sponsored the Formula 4x4 class for a couple of years.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

retroblazer

We did get north of 20 cars in the class at one point. Almost all of them were Jeeps, Broncos, and Blazers. When I approached Crandon originally, I had just come back from running the 1998 Baja 1000 in Class 3. I say running, we made it a couple of hundred miles before we broke in the mountains just past San Quintin. Class 3 didn't exist anymore in the Midwest, it died four years before. My Blazer had won the class 3 championship in the Midwest for a couple of years in the early 90's. I bought it off the ground in a southern Illinois junkyard of Wildman, Gerald Foster. So when I came back to Chicago from Baja, there was no class to race. I called Cliff Flannery and told him that there were four pickup truck based classes, so that there should be room for a SUV based class. There used to be fields of 20-25 Class 3's starting at Crandon. So I studied why the class had failed. I also saw that SUV's were continuing to be raced in other venues, like Tuff trucks. So I found them, called them, to see what rules they lived by, and what rules they would need to join us on a longer track like Crandon. Half the field had never been to Crandon before they started Formula 4x4.

Bloke

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Very interesting history, thanks.
Yes, I am the proud new owner.I am on the tail end of making the jeep street legal but was very conscious to keep the original character as much as possible.
image.jpeg

Last edited:

retroblazer

This Jeep would be right at home in Crandon again. I'd be happy to recommend a driver.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert