Jim Guthrie's Chenowth 1000

LantanaTX

Reaction
Merry Christmas everyone, We are looking for any pictures of Jim Guthrie's Chenowth 1000. At the Off Road Hall of Fame banquet he asked me to help find his old car (He would like to find it and restore it for NORRA). We have located a strong possible suspect and would like to find some pictures. We believe it was originally Yellow with McDonald's sponsorship, it was also red and white with Uniroyal sponsorship, was blue for a while when he raced the car with Mark Stahl, and last paint job was black (painted and prepped by Kevin Conlin) with orange "Guthrie Construction" lettering. When he sold it, it was black and had a wing added. We are especially interested in a picture with the wing that shows how it was mounted. If anyone has any pictures, please post them or PM me. Thank you!

Fourstroker

Reaction

Lord Green

Reaction
I'll have to look. I think i have some from the 1981 1000, I have some 8 mm too, because Butch Arciero was drivi

LantanaTX

Reaction
I bought a Chenowth 1000 a few months ago from Dallas.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
Hot VW's did a feature on Jim Guthries race car, pretty much identical to Mark Stahls racer because Mark is the one who prepped it (originally). Not sure what issue but I'm guessing 1979-ish.....

La Tijereta

Reaction
Here is Jim's car at the 78' 1000 with the Uniroyal sponsorship... I recall the "black" car also that came along later..

1978. Baja 1000. 101. Rochalia.Guthrie. Uniroyal.21x.jpg

@Centerline Images

LantanaTX

Reaction
Thank you! The Black car was the same car. It had four different paint schemes while Jim owned it. Anyone have a picture of it black with the wing?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

BajaJT

Reaction
I bought a Chenowth 1000 in 1977 from Harbor Radiator in Costa Mesa, it was a swing axle with a pancake type 4 in it, supposedly it was one of two built for Ivan Stewart to try, the other was IRS. We converted it to Chenowth IRS with a bunch of pick up points.
I would like to confirm that with someone form Chenowth, if someone has contact info I would appreciate it.

Jeff Furrier

ADVERTISER
Reaction
I'd be surprised if the car was Guthries is its Mild, I'm guessing that Guthries was sold after Marks.

I looked at the car 2 years ago in Phoenix at a repair shop on the north side. The shop owner as I recall had the history, seemed to be an Arizona car that was raced ADRA. The car had a wing on it when I looked at it.