Jimmy Smith/Ultra BUSTED

RacrDude

Reaction
I just read @ www.jayski.com that JIM SMITH & 3 managers are surrendering to authorities today for 17 Felony counts of TOXIC & ACID waste dumping in the local sewer system. DOH !!!!

01_el_tiburon

Bait Fish
Reaction
whos jimmy Smth ??

"if something can go wrong, it'll probably will"
pinche murphy

martininsocal

Reaction
Jimmy Smith is the Ultra of ultral custom wheels and limo's.He is also the original owner of PCI Scotts truck. Was this at the shop in Corona?

If your gonna go, go BIG

RacrDude

Reaction
The article said the shop in Buena Park...I think that's Robby's old shop too. Those wheels you guys were talking about...the price just went up ;). The article also said over a MILLION $$$ Fine, and up to 11 years in jail. OUCH !!

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
I thought you were going to say he was busted for drugs! He was busted many years ago for cocaine if I am not mistaken.

BRAAAAAAAAP!

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
That sucks! Another example of corporate america thinking they are above the law!

See ya in the dirt!

RacrDude

Reaction
"That sucks! Another example of corporate america thinking they are above the law!"

Or just "BUY" their way....

This must be in the paper down there somewhere. 2 Agency's you don't piss off...Franchise tax board & E.P.A. Those guys a ruthless.....

pciscott

Reaction
When you run a huge corporation you may be responsible, but he might not have known what was going on. I know Jimmy does not live in California all the time and for sure does not get his hands dirty in a Buena Park wheel facility. Many companies in the off-road industry would not pass an EPA inspection. I know I got in trouble a few years back for an illegal paint booth That was made out of three house fans and thick plastic sheets. We used this to paint a few race car bodies. Upon a surprise fire department inspection we got turned over to the EPA for an illegal paint booth. I never actually received a fine but it was a major pain in my behind. Until I receive all the facts I will not pass judgement on a guy that has allways been a friend to the off-road industry. Good luck Jimmy and why don't you start spending some of your cash in off-road, I'm getting tired of watching your cars go in circles!

God Bless America

Scott Steinberger Trophy Truck #7

deleted

----
Reaction
To go along with Scott, a little Business 101 would be that Jimmy Smith has a lot of managers under him that manage his company. Smith could by no means have even known that this was going on. Jimmy Smith is a very high profile person. With owning several Nascar(Cup, Trucks) teams he probably would not go so far to do something to get himself in trouble on purpose or intentional. Trust me his sponsors would not like that at all.

Matt Scaroni
SMD Motorsports/ Protruck 27 / Excursion 4111

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
I'll go with Scott on this one too. I've been in alot of shops over the years and have never seen one that complied 100% with all the OSHA / EPA / IRS rules and regs. I'm not even sure it is possible.

BTW, the owner of our company has No clue whats going on in the shop...... We like it like that......

RacrDude

Reaction
PCI Scott...I totally agree with you about Jimmy being good to our sport. Unfortunately...he's spending his $$$$ elsewhere ( and I understand why ). I'm sure there is "lots" of stuff @ Ultra that Jimmy has not a clue about. Unfortunately for him...his name is on the front door. Last but not least...I thought I was the only one who got busted for the "Plastic Spray Booth".

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
No way! I missed the artical. This sucks! Jim Smith and his brother Windle are the reason why I got into this sport. When I was 12 I was at his house at Parker for a week, got a ride in a buggy and was hooked ever since. Jim is such a nice guy. I am shocked to read this about him; wow.

pjc

Chairman
Reaction
Well said Scott.

IMHO, I am not condoning the perpetrated actions but, I'd like you all to consider that the EPA and the SoCal Air Resources Board have completely eliminated hundreds of very viable, law abiding businesses since they came into unbridled and very often, politically motivated and directed power.

Where have those businesses gone? Mostly into liquidation. Some went overseas and south of the border, if they could.

PJCinLV

ntsqd

Reaction
Not a few moved to Nevada.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages

martininsocal

Reaction
what you guys need to understand about EPA and environmental laws is that some are so obscure, you wouldn't even know you were braking a law. Did you know it is illegal to bust open burned out Florescent lite bulbs? They release a gas that is not good for the atmosphere. Solvent, Gasoline, Paint thinner and laquer, none are to be vented into the atmosphere. You cannot burn anything other than sawn wood, charcoal briquets, and russian thistle in SCAQMD's area. even the non-english speaking guy from the parking lot at Home Depot can get you put in jail for washing down the driveway after he spills dirty motor oil all over it. The business owner takes the hit, even if there are instructions, employees have been told, and the proper means for handling these items are available on site, if an employee dumps that thinner in the trash bin out back and gets caught...the owner gets the fine and the threat of jail.

If your gonna go, go BIG

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
You can actually be fined for washing your car on a public street as the excess water and grime (sp?) are bound to make their way into a storm drain.

While I will agree that one should hold judgement until all the facts are evident, I have a hard time believing that the president of a company could be unaware of certain aspects of his company. Obviously, they were saving money by dumping the chemicals (if the allegations are correct) so doesn't one want to know how they are saving money? And if they weren't dumping illegally, don't you think the president would want to know how they are disposing of the chemicals? I mean, his income comes from using and disposing of these chemicals.

This excuse of the him not knowing, is just like the argument proposed by Kenneth Lay's attorneys that Mr. Lay didn't know what was going on at Enron, even though he is the President. I just don't buy it. If you are the president of a company it is your responsibility to know how your company operates. Granted, you can't know all the detail of a fairly large company, but you should at least know how you are disposing of toxic chemicals and why you are sending millions of dollars off-shore as you are the one who is going to be responsible if you get caught.

Just my two cents now lets hear some arguments against it!

See ya in the dirt!

WRC

Reaction
I got popped for using Simple Green as a wheel cleaner, and it works great, and rinsing in the street in Newport Beach. Keep in mind you can drink Simple Green! I got a written warning. The EPA guy acted as though I was using radio-active-toxic-poison-super wheel cleaner.

Sean</font color=red>

frankh

Reaction
Well I say wait till you hear both sides before you start making claims. Be careful how you interpret the word dumping. Most of us picture a guy with a hose dumping hundred of gallons. Well for a guy in Ventura the term "dumping" was, when it was raining the run off from his driveway into the storm drain. Yes there were traces of his chemical in the run off but, that was way over board.

FABRICATOR

Reaction
Believe it or not, it is illegal in the larger cities in California to have any tires outdoors on the ground unless they are mounted on a vehicle. So far, they can sit on top of pallets though. They must also be covered from rain. Another one is that outdoor equipment like an air compressor or steam cleaner can be out doors as long as they are operational. If disconnected they must be immediately covered from the rain. Most larger industrial properties are now deemed as being allowed zero non-storm-water run offs. This means unless it has just rained, there better not even be a small puddle on the lot or anything that the rain can carry away. This is part of the Storm Water Run Off Prevention Program run by the California EPA. Been caught for all of these high crimes!

<font color=orange>The best ideas are the ones that look obvious to the casual observer.</font color=orange>

Tom_Willis

Reaction
It gets worse. The construction industry is supposed to control runoff from construction sites, (meaning dirt, too) and in Los Angeles they have even put together a task force of LAPD officers to cite offenders. All the L A city building inspectors were forced to watch with straight faces a "training film", showing the dangers of having dirt, (which is exactly what the frickin' planet is MADE OF), mix with water, (which covers most of the dirt on the planet) and run into the ocean.... They made it very clear that this was not about the trash, furniture, cigarette butts, dead bodies or other naasty things that show up in storm drains..... Apparently dirt is bad for you, too...... Who knew?