Jimmy Stephensen engine builder "Sly"?

spalind

Reaction
Does anyone know who the engine builder "Sly" is that Jimmy mentioned on the July 1st Totally Off-Road Radio show? Jimmy mentioned that "Sly" from Nissan was building him a couple new engines and I wanted to find out who this was and what operation he was out of. Or, if anyone has Jimmy's contact info that would work to. Thanks!

Bill

Carlos Danger
Reaction
Sly was the guy heading up the Nissan offroad program.Has been at the track with all the Nissan teams the last few years.I don`t have any contact info on him tho.

Pro-Lite Brian

Reaction
Sly is the guy that people went to for the Nissan 12-valve K24 engines, and later the 16-valve KA24DE stuff. I'm told he uses Rebello for most of the design work. The later KA24DE stuff that was pretty fast was built by Ed Pink Racing Engines with input from Menards. Sly's KA24DE package is somewhere around 14-15 G's, and from the looks of how they race, make somewhere around 295hp. The engines that Chad Hord was running were the ones from Ed Pink. I'm not sure who's engines Art Schmitt was running at the end. I know that EPRE was getting as much for a cylinder head as Sly was charging for the complete engine... The EPRE stuff definitely was faster though! Sly is a great guy to have at the track, it seems like he looks over all his customers well.

FYI, the latest concession to 42mm., and then 48mm. venturi for Individual Runner engines, was because of prodding by SLY to CORR trying to get them to do something to make his NISSAN's competitive. Thanks Sly, the big venturi just upped the power of all the combo's, Nissan, Toyota, and Ford!

I think Casey Currie runs engines from Sly. He's competetive on the short tracks this year...

Manning

Reaction
you could call Jimmy at one of his two companies...JS Pest Control or MS Concrete in Las Vegas...or call Sly^^^^^^

JSPEST

Reaction
All of the info here is correct but i buy my motors at pep boys and put octane boost in them....crap! The cat is out of the bag now....lol...feel free to call me on my cell anytime...i will give you all the info you need....jimmy stephensen 702-525-3350

T_Cuffaro

Reaction
Sly is a really good guy. He does all of the current Nissans and is probably the most down to earth guy in racing. I set fast lap of the weekend in Unlimited Lite at Elsinore with a motor he built. His motors and Pinks are the same thing.

Pro-Lite Brian

Reaction
Todd,

Thanks for the heads up. I have one question for you, why did Chad's EPRE engines run so much stronger than the Art Schmidt trucks?

T_Cuffaro

Reaction
Todd,

Thanks for the heads up. I have one question for you, why did Chad's EPRE engines run so much stronger than the Art Schmidt trucks?

Because Chad drives better than Art. Also, I believe it was Kroyer that lobbied for the 48mm chokes to run individual runners on Menzies' Ford engines. Sly and I tried 48's on my truck and the thing was a dog.