• Forum membership has its advantages....

JJ Mucha Racing Enterprises #577

I found this old class 5 car and wanted to see what there is for knowledge of it. Current owner bought it in Washington and says it came from Cali or maybe Mexico. It says it's a '65 but based on the body I'd say its around '59. Looks like it may have even been a ragtop at some point. Does anybody have any info on it?
00A0A_lUXZZcYPCBl_600x450.jpg
00J0J_ddw0V1q28nU_600x450.jpg

Bro_Gill

Is it still swing axle? Early 5-1600s required 1 shock to be in stock location and additional shock anywhere on rear and front used stock shock towers, whether BJ or LP. Motor/carb do not look 5-1600 legal.

Is it still swing axle? Early 5-1600s required 1 shock to be in stock location and additional shock anywhere on rear and front used stock shock towers, whether BJ or LP. Motor/carb do not look 5-1600 legal.
It is still swing axle, and it looks like it has single shocks mounted to the cage in the rear. The current owner did refresh the engine and it has been out of racing for awhile so it makes sense that it would't be legal.

Bro_Gill

OK. Old 5-1600 car. Probably ended its real racing career in the very early 1980s if not sooner and became a local racing car or prerunner after that. I can only think of a couple 5-1600 cars racing swing axles after about 1983-4. Most were Bus IRS Link pin by then.

Rory

Crayola Killer
Could have started life as a class 11A which was pretty much a class 11 with a Baja fender kit and bigger tires.......but still stock suspension.

Bro_Gill

Possibly, but numbers would be different. I wish I had known about class 11a (HDRA 1200cc stock bajas) sooner in life. That would have been a much more attainable goal to build when in high school than trying to build an actual 5 car!

Bro_Gill

They are suppose to cover the to with same thickness as the body metal, but back in the early 1980s, I prepped a car that was an old 5-1600 car that was swing/ragtop that had raced in the old AMSA series. It had a window net made by Mastercraft that covered the opening in the roof. Huge net.