• Forum membership has its advantages....

John Baker motors...need some help

Fire1998

Hey guys.....Ive got a John Baker built Mitsubishi 2.6 motor in my race truck. Its stamped on front of head with Baker 006. We knew motor was from stock but just found this stamp after taking valve cover to check clearances with my buddy. Everything is hand etched with writing on top end. Camshaft says Engel, hand etched, and .295. Dipstick says "J Baker 7 quarts dyno only". We measured compression and we got 12.5 to 1 after math. I'll let ya look at pics and see whats going on. Anyone know...or know someone...who might have any info on these builds? We broke the tip off #1 sparkplug in Parker and now lost about 30 psi in # 1 cylinder compared to 165-170 in 2, 3 and 4. Did a leak down test and it looks like we knicked a valve!!! Bummer. Motor only has 400 miles on it. Any questions or have any info?? I have more pics of camshaft and markings

Attachments

Fire1998

The truck. Oh motor was new iwhen I picked truck up. It was in storage for roughly 15 20 years. Oh and everything is marked 006 in valve train.

Attachments

Bredbaker

All of John's engines were built by Keith Black Racing Engines, they did Walker's and Rod Hall's too, must have been a factory arranged deal. Originally Class 7 had a 2.4 liter engine limit so the engines were sleeved down to that limit. So maybe if Keith Black's company is still around they may have specs.

Fire1998

All of John's engines were built by Keith Black Racing Engines, they did Walker's and Rod Hall's too, must have been a factory arranged deal. Originally Class 7 had a 2.4 liter engine limit so the engines were sleeved down to that limit. So maybe if Keith Black's company is still around they may have specs.

Thanks! As far as I know Keith Blacks shop is shut down. Man....sad all that history dissapeared!! Heres some pics from yesterday after removing head.

Attachments

Fire1998

Thanks! As far as I know Keith Blacks shop is shut down. Man....sad all that history dissapeared!! Heres some pics from yesterday after removing head. Intake valves are huge? Valves are Titanium. Intake is ported and polished. #2 cylinder has some scores on cylinder so motor is coming out. Pretty cool history here!!

Bro_Gill

Tapered valve guide and reduce shank/stepped, valve stems. All high dollar stuff to do for a motor like that, especially back then.

Fire1998

Tapered valve guide and reduce shank/stepped, valve stems. All high dollar stuff to do for a motor like that, especially back then.
Yep...spoke to a dude today in Cali who worked with John. This is a one off motor that can't be replicated today. He said he thinks there were 8 made and I have #006. All parts were factory specs and paid for by Mitsubishi. The head is where all the power comes from and he cant replicate it or will he work on it. Titanium huge valves, Titanium springs, one off cam, billet rocker arm followers and rocker arms. I am basically screwed. Head looks good but do have some scoring in Cylinder #2 from a broke spark plug. Pistons are one off high dome high compression pistons. Block is one off and uses some hybrid block and timing cover. Pistons, crank, head, block oil pan and everything else in motor is one off. He said even if I had an unlimited budget...he wouldn't be able to replicate. Looks like I may have an expensive glass coffee table. Most NA power he can out of a built 2.6 is 220 HP and thats pushing it. Any other motor ideas for this 87 Dodge D50. Its a huge bummer...just spent 10k to have a built C4 transmission adapted to the truck in December last year. Works awesome for the 26 miles I drove it. Do you guys have any suggestions for a Dodge motor for race truck??
This Pistol Petes ex class 3 truck. We' spent 35 k updating truck and now engine has a problem. Looking for any other options to install in this truck that will fit Jeepspeed rules.
Thanks dudes!!

Attachments

Last edited:

jon coleman

i was under impression JS can run Any thing in one of there catagorys as long as its a jeep/ AMC/ Chrysler body, Clive Skilton will help you out, jeepspeed.com, put eng in a museum

TRichards

Talk to Dana Dague. He has a Rod Hall D50 truck. might have some info on that motor. or maybe try to wedge in a straight 6 out of a cherokee. Good luck. Back in the day i had a Iron Duke 4 cylinder that has a lot of unobitanium parts. i feel your pain.

Bro_Gill

Look at something a little newer from Mitsubishi. Talk to some of the rice burner crowd about what the Evo guys run. May bolt right up to your trans adapter and modern stuff will make good hp without being wahzoo cast wise and run on premium unleaded. 200hp should be easy with a modern 4 cylinder motor from Mitsubishi.

jon coleman

at least 200 pump gas na horses in todays ' tuner' world, thats the way to go, & im sure aa has an adaptor.had to ad,this, ; just put a Big turbo on it.....tooo fast & sillyous.....

Michael Cohen

Yep...spoke to a dude today in Cali who worked with John. This is a one off motor that can't be replicated today. He said he thinks there were 8 made and I have #006. All parts were factory specs and paid for by Mitsubishi. The head is where all the power comes from and he cant replicate it or will he work on it. Titanium huge valves, Titanium springs, one off cam, billet rocker arm followers and rocker arms. I am basically screwed. Head looks good but do have some scoring in Cylinder #2 from a broke spark plug. Pistons are one off high dome high compression pistons. Block is one off and uses some hybrid block and timing cover. Pistons, crank, head, block oil pan and everything else in motor is one off. He said even if I had an unlimited budget...he wouldn't be able to replicate. Looks like I may have an expensive glass coffee table. Most NA power he can out of a built 2.6 is 220 HP and thats pushing it. Any other motor ideas for this 87 Dodge D50. Its a huge bummer...just spent 10k to have a built C4 transmission adapted to the truck in December last year. Works awesome for the 26 miles I drove it. Do you guys have any suggestions for a Dodge motor for race truck??
This Pistol Petes ex class 3 truck. We' spent 35 k updating truck and now engine has a problem. Looking for any other options to install in this truck that will fit Jeepspeed rules.
Thanks dudes!!
Thanks for sharing the details of your journey. Sorry to hear of the predicament though. I have messaged a frined who has deep roots with Mitsubishi Motorsports and sent him a link to this thread. If he can help, I am sure he will chime in. Good luck and keep on keeping on! Michael Cohen