John Baker's mitsubishi class 7

iheartbaja

Reaction
Hey gang looking for pictures of John Bakers old class 7, if anyone has them please post them here.
might have found it and I'm trying to ID the truck, also if anyone know the truck up close let me know.

Thanks!

Attachments

iheartbaja

Reaction
1st pic is Dave Wolins car a 7 4x4 actually..
the one in the video surely is Baker's class 7.
thanks bud!!!

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Is the truck you're looking at use a factory frame? Baker was one of the first guys to come up with a 'kit' race chassis that never took off. I think a couple got built and raced in both the desert and MTEG, but don't know if they were ever approved for Class 7. Baker was a big Gil Valencourt(sp) shock fan and the trucks had big (for the day) coilovers at each corner. Hope that helps.

La Tijereta

Reaction
John Baker's Mitsubishi program had many versions of the truck from 1980-84, and later in the MTEG series..
This image is from the 82' San Felipe race, up by Mike's Sky ranch...

1982.SF250.Baker.704.mitsubishi.21x.jpg

@ Centerline Images

harleys dad

Reaction
Last I knew Ernesto Arumbula had it in Ensanada but that was a while(a long time ago) A good friend had Baker build him a 7 truck identicle to his again a long time ago. I got to drive that one. One of the Baja 500s in the early 80s John broke the truck up by Mikes he climbed into my class 11(3 of us) and rode about 30 miles to Mikes sky ranch. What ever became of John Baker?

Steve Marolda

Reaction
Here's a tidbit I found interesting... John told me when going to those big coil-over shocks the suspension geometry they used was copied from a Husqvarna mx bike. Which was at that time, state-of-the-art for dual-shocks. And it worked really good.

Steve Marolda

Reaction
Speaking of photos... My favorite John Baker pic was from a MTEG LA Coliseum race. He veered off the back straight, jumped the fence, and drove about 3-4 rows up into spectator stands. I gotta find that pic. ha

harleys dad

Reaction
I know John was driving a big truck at the 1976 Mint 400 and destroyed a number of class 11 cars driving the engines into the back seat of the vws many times. Needless to say John was a wanted man that race ruining a number of class 11s, I have seen a sequence shot of Baker when he did it to one of the cars, wish I could find that

Class3Fan

Reaction
I know John was driving a big truck at the 1976 Mint 400 and destroyed a number of class 11 cars driving the engines into the back seat of the vws many times. Needless to say John was a wanted man that race ruining a number of class 11s, I have seen a sequence shot of Baker when he did it to one of the cars, wish I could find that
Ask and you shall receive (it was 1977, by the way):

Attachments

harleys dad

Reaction
Ask and you shall receive (it was 1977, by the way):
thank you Class3fan, that 11 was driven by Syminds(cant remember first name) he did it to several cars. We won in
77 with M Van Ells but we gave Baker a WIDE lane. World war 3 was taken to the start finish that day. He did a couple in 76 also. Driving that big Dodge must have made him feel big(he was a smaller guy)

yamahlr

Reaction
Just finished the 2017 nomination package for John into the Off Road Motorsports Hall of Fame. Have been friends over 30 years. I own an 87 that had everything from his catalogs. I pulled about 40 or so pages from the magazines at the time. If there are any specifics you are looking for with regard to this truck, I will take a gander at my stuff. From what I've seen in some of the Mitsu ads from the day, there were some trucks on the road for dealership display where John did meet and greets also.

yamahlr

Reaction
awesome pics guys thanks for the info, when Tito Arambula had the truck it had the shocks protruding from the hood which I think was latter version guessing from the picture in 82.

the one in question doesn't, trying to get from info from the current owner.
Can you post some full shots standing in front. Several things look familiar from some shop pics I have but the photo is too cut off to really compare.