Johnson valley and doing my part

Dirtracer 619

Reaction
wrote to senetor Fienstein:
Her is her reply thaough I would share
Dear Mr. Landstrom:

Thank you for writing to me to express your concern about the Marine Corps' efforts to acquire land within the Johnson Valley Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) Area. I appreciate hearing from you and welcome the opportunity to respond.

As you know, the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center in Twentynine Palms, California is currently conducting a Combat Center Potential Land Acquisition Study. Marine Corps officials are reviewing potential lands - including OHV routes in Johnson Valley - for acquisition to expand the Marine Corps' training facilities. The land acquisition proposal is subject to through environmental review under the National Environmental Policy Act and will require approval from Congress and the President before the Air Ground Combat Center expansion can move forward.

I understand your concern that the land acquisition proposal could lead to the permanent closure of OHV recreation areas in the Mojave Desert. Driving off-road vehicles is a popular hobby in the State of California, and I recognize the need to provide adequate OHV recreation areas. Please know that I support access to our public lands and will keep your thoughts in mind as I continue to monitor the Marine Corps' land acquisition efforts.

Again, thank you for writing. If you have any further questions or comments, please contact my office in Washington, D.C. at (202) 224-3841. Best regards.

Sincerely yours,

Dianne Feinstein
United States Senator

WannaB-class5

Reaction
I just got that response as well. At least it's in writing that she "recognize(s) the need to provide adequate OHV recreation areas." And she is correct, the NEPA document is really what will allow or not allow the USMC to aquire the land or not.

Last edited:

Slippery P

Reaction
Sounds like a letter of bs. to me, my family currently owns 15 acres in the surrounding area, and if any one has been on the "bombing range" knows that it is the most polluted and littered piece of land in the surrounding area. and the only way they get away with it is because their the government. Its bs. they should be leading by example if they take over johnson valley it wil be a catastrophe. And if you havent been out there go take a look im sure the "environmentalist" will have a change of mind.

Last edited:

ultrablew

Reaction
I have received a couple repliesfrom letters sent to Fienstein. Each one of them seem to be similar formats and standardized replies. I'm not down playing the importance of writing letters but I don't get to excited when I get a reply from her.

Dirtracer 619

Reaction
yea me either but just maybe she will think about us when she is making her arguments or putting her thoughts together cant hurt:cool: