Jupiter pictures.....

DOG ON

RDC's illegal immigrant
Part of the desert experience for me is taking a portable scope and look at the stars while in desolate country.....

Granted, that if I have a beer case and crazy friends, I always prefer the laughs around a nice fire sharing funny and trivial stories, but now and then I love the solitude of a nice desert night to feel some harmony with the cosmos.....

I am not very spiritual, but this humbling experience is as close as it gets for me in belonging and interconnecting with the universe....

Yesterday, I setup my camera , my scope and image Jupiter, I must say I am not new at it and as offroad racing this is also my passion.

Here are the pictures I took from Jupiter, one is animated, I hope you enjoy it.....Keep looking at the sky!;)

DOG ON

RDC's illegal immigrant
Yes, I have a C14 fully geared.....But Jupiter can be visually enjoyed as clearly with almost any decent scope. It is high in our skies right now! :)

DOG ON

RDC's illegal immigrant
Here is another one with slightly larger "zoom"

Attachments

1fastbean

Rookie
Thanks for sharing. Very captivating. I'm interested in attending the popular public tour that is available at the Palomar Observatory and looking through the monstrous 200-inch Hale telescope. Unfortunately, it is always sold out and tickets sell fast.

DOG ON

RDC's illegal immigrant
Offroad and Astronomy are quite complementary..... At least it has been a great excuse for each other :)

scottm

Excellent work! I noticed Venus is high in the east before sunrise right now - hmm, how about a picture request thread? I would like to see pics of venus please!

And how about shots of Jupiter's moons? We could see 'em with binoculars from the top of Mingus Mountain a couple weeks ago.

Or did we?

DOG ON

RDC's illegal immigrant
Excellent work! I noticed Venus is high in the east before sunrise right now - hmm, how about a picture request thread? I would like to see pics of venus please!
Venus is rather an unsatisfactory planet to image. It is so reflective on the visual light spectrum that you cant get any atmospheric details on its surface.

Let me see if I can get some special light filters to try to make out some cloud formation on it....

The advance of science amazes me, 20 years ago this would have been impossible with out the budget of NASA, now everywhere amateurs do it on a shoestring.....amazin' :eek:

DOG ON

RDC's illegal immigrant
And how about shots of Jupiter's moons? We could see 'em with binoculars from the top of Mingus Mountain a couple weeks ago.

Or did we?
I will shoot not only for its moons, but a moon transit....a couple of years ago I did one, .....it was awesome (for a nerd like me).;) I will hunt them 4 ya!

DOG ON

RDC's illegal immigrant
Thanks, Gus! How's the hand injury healing up?
Thanks for asking, the hand is 95% there, but on the orders of the MD I cant spar or hit the bags yet. I have had other issues, but as of today...I am 95% back in workable shape....I will start hitting the gym today:)

Here is another picture of yesterday's session....I think they are nicer since you can see the Red Spot on Jupiter.
Thanks for the kind words

Attachments

fathead

Got any pictures of Uranus?

Sorry, I had to. Haha!
Awesome pictures by the way! Thanks Gus..

Shaggy

Thanks for the pic's. It's great to go south and look at the unlit sky and remind ourselves that there are stars out there.:D