• Forum membership has its advantages....

Just a buggy built in the driveway

geoffwg

hey everyone, so a buddy and I started building this buggy march 2015 and I want to document my process. I have a pre existing thread on dezert rangers but I'm having a hell of a time posting pictures, so I figure I would move over here to race-dezert.

the plan with this buggy was to pull the parts off my baja bug, and build a strong chassis that I could go fast in the desert and light enough to play in the sand.
I started with a 6inch over beam
+4 trailing arms
3X3 rear trailing arms
002 trans
1914 vw

Attachments

geoffwg

these are more recent pictures of the car I'm currently stripping the car down for paneling and chassis paint. it was October 2015 when the car was sitting on its own weight. I was delayed due to engine troubles. I had car craft in riverside rebuild my engine, because at the time I would rather have had it professionally built so I didnt end up throwing money at it (which I did anyway) ..... I wasn't too happy with their work. they crack checked the case before they started building the engine. and after the engine was built it had a few pin holes on the return port from the full flow, so I dragged my engine up to my buddys house so he could tig weld a magnesium patch for me. it worked for a little while, then the engine started making all sorts of noise when under load... multiple jugs were cracked at the head seal and I think they dropped some metal in the engine because I pulled out a large chunk off my drain plug. this was all within the first trip on the engine. I then called car craft and they don't warranty off road engines.... so I took it apon myself to rebuild the engine and it seems to run fine so far :D

then after the second trip out I lost 3rd gear in my trans

so ive had a few set backs, but when the car does run, It works very well

Attachments

geoffwg

Thanks zac! I would actually like to throw some bug fiberglass just for fun to see if I could entertain the idea. Today I was able to get a little bit done. Nothing too exciting I just made some steps and and a kick bar for the passenger. I also tacked in the dzuse tabs for the dash panels. I wish I would have done dzuse tabs on all the panels.
ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1464661477.921012.jpg
ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1464661514.538956.jpg

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

geoffwg

ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1465443942.800192.jpg
ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1465443956.652340.jpg

All stripped down and I'm getting ready for paint. I just bought 4 Baja designs 9inch HIDs but they are an external ballast so I'm gonna look into converting them into internal. And I'm also going to be buying some 3inch drop combo spindles before the car goes back together, And maybe disc breaks.... I'm thinking about sticking with drums for a while. Due to the budgetary constraints

geoffwg

My buddy built this front end for his buggy, then sold his car and started building a truck. He's wants to sell it to me so he can see it work and I am thinking about doing the swap.
ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1465692920.152926.jpg
ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1465692932.952614.jpg

Is anyone one running the dual pivot arms on their car?

Sneak peak on a new build thread
ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1465693057.565256.jpg

geoffwg

ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1467129241.667510.jpg
ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1467129256.501444.jpg
ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1467129278.870005.jpg

I decided to hold off on the the combo spindles and breaks for now just so I can get it back on its wheels, I'm really happy with how it's turning out

geoffwg

Made it out to the desert over the 4th of July with some friends, it was a little short lived due to engine failure again.
ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1470959906.032912.jpg

ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1470959922.534980.jpg

I think a ring broke and started bouncing around in there.
But i was really happy with it for 45 minutes

ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1470960049.043143.jpg

ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1470960070.892917.jpg

ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1470960132.398269.jpg