Just Announced: Toyota Signs B.J. Baldwin!

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
Reaction
Moving the race - not even a slightly realistic option.

By the way, it was not hot when most people were prerunning the weeks before the race.

It was realistic due to rain at the 250 a couple years ago and that was the morning of the race.

Hindsight, something like this, despite the enormous mess it could cause, could save lives.

Also, I'm not saying change it the day of but I think that something could have been done in the days leading up to the race when we were aware of the 115 degree temperatures.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
Reaction
Since Ramsey will probably ridicule my suggestion to reroute the race...

How about a way to limit spectator attendance?

Maybe start extremely early, before all the hungover people and early drinkers head out.

Maybe start at an undisclosed location/time.

munson

Reaction
Maybe a night race but adds a bunch for logistics but would be a little cooler without the radiant heat just a thought

buckwild

Reaction
13393441_10153714135663106_1027750753_n.jpg
My friend sent me this because he couldn't believe BJ's arrogant douchebag statement In his Instagram post while prerunning "our victory was overshadowed by Kurt's passing"What do you all think?View attachment 170285 View attachment 170285

Last edited:

biffgnar

Reaction
A poor choice of words definitely, but hard to believe he would go there intentionally.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

az_amsoil

Reaction
Look, I was there and it was HOT, I can't imagine being in a truck or worse fully exposed on a bike/quad. The area between check 1 and RM150 was pretty desolate with little to no spectators (while higher in elevation, it was still 100+)...from 150 down to 200 there limited chase roads: one that takes you to RM161 and then the next chase roads would have been around 192, so you have 30 miles of nothingness (with silt and whoops to expend all your energy). We had to recover our vehicle in that area last year and it took 2.5hrs to go about 15 miles! SCORE could have setup areas in those remote sections of the lake bed & on the backside of the SF loop (as Dan suggested). HOWEVER, you have to STOP to receive help. I wasn't at the drivers meeting, but the risks of heat related injuries should have been a point of emphasis. Also, the pit organizations (Mag7, Baja Pits, Locos Mocos, Baja Fools, ect..) were setup almost every 50 miles and nobody refuses medical help. I guess my rambling both agrees SCORE could have been more proactive (if they had the physical resources to man the outposts), but everyone racing should have know the dangers and taken the appropriate steps to insure they know the signs/symptoms of heat illness. BJ did the right thing, no matter how anyone feels about his tapout...It broke my heart/soul to listen to WM and hear about these fatalities, my deepest condolences to the family and friends of Noah & Travis...the Baja brotherhood is in mourning.

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
Have any of you ever had heat exhaustion? I have. It snuck up on me. I was drinking gallons of water that day and the day before. I never felt any symptoms.

Then boom. My hand locked closed while I was trying to pull the pin on my trailer hitch. Cramped closed. Then it got worse. Leg cramped and I couldn't walk. I almost crashed my truck because of it.

I'm pretty sure that BJ is in better health than I am but anyone can have the heat take its toll on them.

Today I hand washed my black vendor trailer in 100 plus degree heat. I was hydrating, taking breaks to cool off inside and taking salt tablets. I still had to go home early and my hand is cramping and will barely let me hold my phone to type this...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brain171

Reaction
"Ballistic" Willie Baldwin. That's got a nice ring to it!

The heat was unbelievable. Anyone there knows that, and even if you weren't at the race, you've probably been in 115+ degree heat. This race is always hot. Always. I think it was obvious for a week or so before that this year was going to be above the normal hot for a 500. Just by looking at the map, it was an easy indicator that it was going to be hot longer. I can respect BJ for making the decision to not personally risk his health. No one here is BJ and no one knows what he was feeling. Heat stroke is nothing to take lightly so he did what he thought was right.

I think what was needed for this race was SCORE should of implemented "medical base camps" with water, first aid, food, etc. etc. for riders (or drivers). Somewhere at the bottom of the summit (rm 115/120), Cahabuzo Junction, La Ventana Road, at the very bottom of the course at VCP 30, and Morellia Junction. Those base camps could have a rover. Sometimes a rider doesn't think they need water until it's too late. SCORE should be aware of those dangers of racing in extreme heat. This solution is SIMPLE. Designated "medical base camps" strategically placed along the course would of been ideal due to the heat and the fact we were going to be in the heat longer than years past. No, I haven't thought about the other circumstances to this like time crediting, etc. etc. just an idea. They could be places for fatigued riders to safely stop and avoid mixing in with the four wheel vehicles.

We don't need stop check points for racers. That's what we pay the trackers to do. I think it's time we have stop check points for people. Hindsight is always 20/20 but we can always think forward. RIP to the fallen riders and thoughts with the Friends and Families.
This seems like a good solution albeit there would be an added cost but one that could be factored in to the future 500's. We were throwing around other ideas.
One being when the weather report came out the race start time could have been changed. Say start the bikes at 2 am to try and limit the time spent in the heat. It would be a painful start time but may be safer as far as the heat is concerned.
The other idea was to shorten the race to end it in SF. I think Dan's idea would work better and would be a safe haven.

JDDurfey

Reaction
What if SCORE had just eliminated the SF loop the day or two before the race? Would that have helped? Or would racers then be complaining about the lack of miles because it wasn't a full 500?

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
Reaction
What if SCORE had just eliminated the SF loop the day or two before the race? Would that have helped? Or would racers then be complaining about the lack of miles because it wasn't a full 500?

Ramsay said it's not realistic, move on.

mgobaja

Reaction
We were pitting at RM 90, and the two ladies that were with with us had been asked to hand at least 2 bottles of water to any body that stopped, don't give them a choice. if they didn't want them, they could toss them out. It was only 104 at our pit, not nearly as warm as it was down the summit.

BANNED4LIFE

Reaction
BAJAPITS are every 50 miles.....ill buy $500 worth of water bottles for them next year .......will it make a difference? probably not, but anyone could stop and get some if they felt thirsty.....and it would cost everyone nothing...

Shannon

Bear on a Unicycle
Reaction
Have any of you ever had heat exhaustion? I have. It snuck up on me. I was drinking gallons of water that day and the day before. I never felt any symptoms.

Then boom. My hand locked closed while I was trying to pull the pin on my trailer hitch. Cramped closed. Then it got worse. Leg cramped and I couldn't walk. I almost crashed my truck because of it.

I'm pretty sure that BJ is in better health than I am but anyone can have the heat take its toll on them.

Today I hand washed my black vendor trailer in 100 plus degree heat. I was hydrating, taking breaks to cool off inside and taking salt tablets. I still had to go home early and my hand is cramping and will barely let me hold my phone to type this...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hydrating is not a 1,2,or even 3 day deal.. It takes 5-7 days and it's not just water and salt pills, from what I've been told from numerous trainers and doctors, coached high school football 4 years, in 90-110 heat , 2 a days(hell weeks) had to start off slow and work the boys up to keep them from getting hurt,games were played in imperial valley 90-100 heat, yes these are young men, but IMO much harder to play a game of football then drive a race car.. As far as any arguments in regards to track change ect .. We are in the 21st century.. I knew 4 days out that it was going to be hot by looking at my phone. It comes down to PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY...

Dezertpilot

Reaction
If you don't drink a gallon of water a day in general and then expect to be OK in a race like this for hours on end you are out of your mind. You need to be used to drinking water all day long every day.

Dezertpilot

Reaction

Fire1998

Reaction
As a P/FF the only way to hydrate someone after they have past
the point of dehydration.......is an IV!! Drinking water and salt pills will do you no good. Paramedics at pit stops who could give riders an IV in a race like this is probably cost prohibited and hard to man.......but it's the only way to rehydrate someone. If I know a race(bike rider) is going to be extremely hot, I'll give myself and IV the night before a race.
Oh....and what happened to a tether system on bike when a rider goes down it alerts SCORE the rider is down. If rider gets up and and resets alert system all is good. This was talked about in length after Casselis death. Seems like a simple system to implement. Device will give coordinates for a rescue asap. It's time for this to be implemented and mandatory for bike and quad racers!!! Yes it's going to cost more but if it saves lives who cares!!!

Last edited:
Reaction
Yes it's going to cost more but if it saves lives who cares!!!

Great Idea! Let's raise entry fees to $125,000!

That'll be even better!

Just think of all the bruised egos, let alone lives, that can be saved!

Ah heck, just ban racing and we can just attend BJ's pedicures via Skype!

That would be even safer!

o_Oo_Oo_O