Just Announced: Toyota Signs B.J. Baldwin!

Fire1998

Reaction
Your right......a life is just something to throw away. Family members can always just replace them!!! What a ridiculous reply. This had nothing to do with BJ. The riders who lost their lives this year.....who cares!!!

Reaction
This had nothing to do with BJ.

Uh, did you note the title of this thread?

Just Announced: Toyota Signs B.J. Baldwin!

BTW, please share the contents of the coroner's reports on the deceased racers, and inform us of how you received them, and then verified each for authenticity.

Thanks!

Short Bus

Reaction
Maybe there should be a couple checkpoints that have mandatory 15-20 minute break periods for bikes/quads. I'm sure most racers won't take the time to properly hydrate if they know it will cost them time, especially considering how close a lot of the races have become. But if they were given the chance to cool off without any loss of time it would probably help.

They could set up a few hydration tents at checkpoints that have fans and maybe a big trough of ice/cold water with towels that riders could use to try to lower their core temps a bit while they wait.

Punch a time card when they get to the checkpoint that will have the time they can leave. Have another synchronized display clock in view for the time they leave.

Reaction
It is Desert Racing - this was the 48th Baja 500 - participants and spectators have been at risk for 48 years, and yes, both have died - many of them.

I can't speak for "you" but I know the risks every time I get in a race car and every time I stand along the course or chase for that matter.

Looks like BJ knew the risks and managed them to his satisfaction.

Risk is part of life, trying to eliminate all of it, or even thinking it is possible, is the foolishness of this modern society.

Fire1998

Reaction
I agree with knowing the dangers, the what if's and oh F%!k moments of racing a bike everytime I get on mine. It part of the high!! Being a career FF for 18 years, I'm always looking for that high and pushing the limit on my bike. It has bit me many times. To many surgeries to count....but I keep doing it. I'm not saying take all the dangers away....that's ridiculous!! I'm saying if there's things we can do in extreme conditions to help drivers and riders deal with dangers of the heat......why not?? I've not raced baja but have raced V to R and luckily we hit the higher elevations to keep us cool. I have been stuck at mile 220 for 6 hours when my motor blew. Sat on a rock and couldn't remove my helmet or gear for risk of severe sunburn....and rattlesnakes!! Water turned to tea pretty quick. Have no idea how the riders died....but I do know heat stroke hits you quickly and if you don't get IV's and cooled down quickly....your going to die. There comes a point where it's irreversible. So why not have IV'S and cooling stations available? We all know some of the riders who attempt these races have no business being there. There chasing a dream....good for them...but let's do our best to keep our riders and drivers as safe as possible. I'm not asking to remove every rock from race course....just some simple steps that could save a life. I'm moving to a cage for V to R this year. It's kinda a relief. I'll still continue racing bikes but the faster races I'll stick to a cage.
Peace and love brothers!!