Just Announced: Toyota Signs B.J. Baldwin!

sb4pro

RDC Crypto
More good news for BJ . Congrats bud it's about time .
image.jpeg

Advertising supports this site

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
RDC Crypto
So when a guy wins a TT race now, do any get on the podium or interviewed and thank their vehicle sponsor, i.e. Chevy, Ford, Dodge, or Toyota? I don't think I have ever heard anyone thank a manufacturer for providing them with anything. Well, that is about to change the first time Mr. Baldwin is interviewed after a race he will be thanking them for their support. That can't be bad for the sport no matter what level of involvement Toyota actually has in his program. Hopefully, Chevy, Ford, and Dodge will want that recognition again as well and get involved more. I know there is the Ford contingency with running the Ford stickers, but do the get recognition for it?

I will obviously never benefit from the manufacturers getting involved, but I think it would be cool. Look at NASCAR, how many "factory" parts are actually on one of those cars? Very few if any at all. But yet when Jimmy Johnson wins he always mentions how great his Chevy ran. I imagine it will be the same way with Mr. Baldwin

Jimmy Johnson is on tv in front of tens of millions of NAPCAR fans across the globe on network tv. BJ will be on cable tv in front tens of fans. Big difference.

It's good Toyota is backing someone in desert racing. Just wish they would have chosen someone that actually needs the support.

JDDurfey

RDC Crypto
It's good Toyota is backing someone in desert racing. Just wish they would have chosen someone that actually needs the support.

But that is the "problem" with sponsorship. You have to prove yourself before you can get the big sponsors. I think BJ has proven that he can drive. I don't personally know him, so I have no opinion of him other than how I see him race and his results. I know it has been a few years, but he has been and I believe still could be a threat to win every race he enters. Occasionally, big sponsorship falls on the "unknown" guy. The guy that didn't have to prove himself for years. Talent is great, but you must be marketable and get a start. I would like to think that since I have many years a bike racing in Baja and the Southwest desert, that I would be a pretty good driver, but no one is knocking down my door to put me in a truck or buggy because I don't have the means to do it on my own and make a name for myself first. That's a fact, and I understand that.

John Bitting

Administrator
RDC Crypto
Website
race-dezert.com
Man that's a nice looking truck....but why purple? Am I missing some brand connection?
Someone mentioned Can Am is using purple now, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

It was bitchin seeing BJ on supercross Saturday night being interviewed about the Toyota deal and he talked about Ivan Stewart. Such great exposure already for the sport. Toyota was smart with this one. His bad luck streak wont last forever and when he works that out he will be back on top. He already gets millions of eyes from the Youtube projects he does and all of his followers on social media. I look forward to the future to see what happens, and to see Toyotas involvement. Usually other manufacturers take notice and step up their game. A Toyota version of the raptor developed by BJ?? I am in.

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
RDC Crypto
Man that's a nice looking truck....but why purple? Am I missing some brand connection?

It's a color that is about to be very popular if you look at what the guys in Formula D are doing (they are always on the cusp of what is "cool") as well as in fashion. Plus it was a nod to his other favorite driver Larry Ragland so now both of his favorite driver's were influential in the design.

BJ is the only one who can deliver an ROI that warrants the investment right now. Brands want content and BJ has the biggest content platform behind Gymkhana. Its not about a logo on a race car; its about content, social media and creating marketing programs that support a brand's investment.

J Prich

RDC Crypto
Jimmy Johnson is on tv in front of tens of millions of NAPCAR fans across the globe on network tv. BJ will be on cable tv in front tens of fans. Big difference.

I am not sure I understand your premise. Sponsorships are not charity. Why would "need" drive Toyota's business practices? Toyota wants visibility, BJ gives them that. If "need" was a rational concern, Toyota would have been much better served giving me and my stock motor Tacoma team their money! At least you can buy something like our truck at the dealership, LOL.

mike337

RDC Crypto
It kind of shocks me all the 'F' bombs he drops on Facebook. I would think Toyota would frown on that?
Also, I'm surprised there isn't another decal or two that reads Toyota or Tundra on his truck. Just a grill and a little TRD decal is all I'm seeing.
Anybody know what he'll be using for an engine yet?

Quailhunter

Covert Troll.
RDC Crypto
mike337, I had a look at his Facebook page myself , F bombs , boobs, guns . Sure young guys like all of this stuff but not what you put on your Facebook page if you are the poster boy for Toyota's new off-road campaign. Plenty of other young talent that would carry this flag professionally.

BTW, Quick drawing a pistol at the TV and posting it = Gringo Scarface

Quailhunter

Covert Troll.
RDC Crypto
Not following, just a one time visit to pick some low hanging fruit.

J Prich

RDC Crypto
mike337, I had a look at his Facebook page myself , F bombs , boobs, guns . Sure young guys like all of this stuff but not what you put on your Facebook page if you are the poster boy for Toyota's new off-road campaign. Plenty of other young talent that would carry this flag professionally.

BTW, Quick drawing a pistol at the TV and posting it = Gringo Scarface

Do you suppose Toyota didn't get the chance to vett him? Maybe they didn't see his Facebook? Or his Instagram?

Of also maybe they did, and saw that he's got a bajillion followers tuning in to see his posts about f words, boobs, and guns? Like it or not this is not 1986. Or even 1996. Times have changed and whether you or I personally dig it or not the fact is social media is where business is for these guys these days. BJ knows that. His sponsors know that. And apparently Toyota knows that too.

PAB

40's rock!
RDC Crypto
BJ is the only one who can deliver an ROI that warrants the investment right now. Brands want content and BJ has the biggest content platform behind Gymkhana. Its not about a logo on a race car; its about content, social media and creating marketing programs that support a brand's investment.

Disagree only one.....ROI can be delivered by a few desert racers as is proven in multiple formats. B-Money (who you also represent and dog in this post) is solid on SM and get's great TV coverage, Rob Mac by pure winning percentage and TV coverage, love him or hate him RG has a value and the DA media/TV platform with two hours on ABC World of X games, a couple hours on CBS Sports and a social media partnership with X Games is nothing to kick around....only mentioning this since you need a kick off your horse.

We all think BJ is just peachy but he's not the only game in town. Congrats to you and the bjjj as well as Toyota. We are all happy for you guys and hopefully it directly improves our sport.

BHollander

RDC Crypto
Social media works and it shows, both of you guys are following him and discussing his posts along with 100K others.

You mean 427k others lol. Look he instantly can reach almost 1/2 million people through 1 account. It is crazy how much social media can influence partnerships.

sb4pro

RDC Crypto
3 videos

149 thousand views and that's just on YouTube . These same vids are on his Facebook , Twitter and other accounts as well .