Just finished standalone EFI conversion on 22R

geoff

Reaction
Going with the theme of lowbuck... We built our own standalone ECU for EFI based on the megasquirt EFI system, check it out at

http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

the thing is badass!! On only the basemap, it idles my giant 72 lb/hr MSD peak/hold injectors perfectly, and i havent tuned it at all. It only costs 100$ but you have to solder it yourself.

The swap went pretty well, the only thing i am not happy about is recirculating the fuel return line back into the fuel pump feed... but it works. Im running an aeromotive external fuel pump and once i can get it tuned, ill throw on the t3t4 turbo =)

anyone else dump the fuel return back into the pickup? or do you put a bulkhead fitting on your cells?

Motorider

Reaction
Sounds interesting. How is it tuneable, is there a port that you can hook up to a laptop or something? As for the fuel return line, just dump it into the alum. filler, works great

geoff

Reaction
hook up the laptop via serial port, and tune from narrowband o2 voltages. I have a narrowband on it 24/7, but will hook up my wideband during real tuning sessions,

my cell doesnt have an alu filler, just a cover plate, do you mean dump it into that?

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
running your return fuel line back into your feed shouldnt hurt any thing all its doing it keeping the fuel rails from building up pressure so it doesnt blow the "O" rings out of the injectors and cause a fire.....you acually made this set up? will it hold up in the off road industrie?...cuz if so I would be interested in it....Mike

geoff

Reaction
well the return does alot more than jsut save the orings... you are forgetting how vital having a constant pressure at the rail is, meaning that the FPR can evacuate enough fuel to appropriately maintian a proper fuel pressure.

yeah i made the setup, and as far as i can tell, as long as it is mounted appropriately, using good rubber mounting to dampen vibes there should be no issues. A few ppl are running this on buggies

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
I know it does alot more than save the o rings I was just covering the basics but my dad is putting in a twin turbo supra engine in his sandrail and this should work RIGHT? I dont want to spend the time of building it and dynoing the motor to have the computer fail due to vibration, I can rubber mount it but its still going to see alot of vibration from terrain to RPM to jumping and so on as I get closer I will PM you and we can talk thanks.....Mike

geoff

Reaction
If your dad is usin a 2JZGTE dont use the megasquirt, the stock ECU is totally the way to go. We made 1018 whp on a 2jz last year, slightly modified stock ecu

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
we dont have a stock ECU or wiring harness but if we came up with the stuff could you program the ECU and his motor is a 1JZGTE its the 2500 TT supra motor one og those Jap cut outs....Mike

ntsqd

Reaction
Geoff, had a similar issue a while back with a dual carb'd, dual NO2'd 500+ inch Pro-Mod car with a 440 gph @ 20 psi pump on it.
Where to return the 1/2" return line ?
I took the -8 AN bulkhead supply fitting I replaced with a -12 and put it in the top of the plastic cell. Ordered two more of the sealing washers the cell maker used for the supply fitting. Then I screwed on an AN cap on the inside threads and marked which flats to drill holes in. 3 of the adjacent wrench flats got a hole drilled thru them to the center. The purpose of this was to not introduce any bubbles from the return line squirting straight down into the cell. I calced the area of the -8's id and made sure that the 3 holes were 50% larger in total. Wasn't going to wade into Fluid Dynamics calcs for that.

FABRICATOR

Reaction
Why would it have 72 lb/hr injectors? Is there one per cylinder or one for the whole motor, lol. I'm woking on a big block Chevy that will see some racing and it does'nt need injectors that big. ???