Just for fun

Mohr

Reaction
Oh Jeff....You know I love you....but sometimes you get off on some pretty hairy tangents....

Bro_Gill

Reaction
It's power and RPM. Single ports simply don't have the RPM air movement that dual port do. And RPMs are not what VW trans are built for from the original design. Remember, the original design was to go 100 kilometers an hour for the People's Car. Same holds with the bus trans. Just not the correct bearing set-up for higher rpms.

Shred918

Reaction
I have been out of the game for a few years now but I posed this question to a certain opinionated, old cranky guy but was curios on your thoughts.

Joel - This is of course just for fun but what about the swingaxle bus trans. How much stronger would a race setup be in this configuration for a 9 car compared to the type 1 trans?

Mohr

Reaction
Swing axle Bus? They are type one...with reduction boxes... that are VERY expensive to fix....

Shred918

Reaction
I have seen a swing axle bus box out to the drums awhile back with no reduction boxes. I guess it must have been a one-off but seems kinda counter productive.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Do you mean the Type 2 swing conversion that some of the drag guys run? Early buses used a type one center section with reduction boxes out on the ends of the axles. They were stronger than the regular type 1 due to the extra gears absorbing some of the smashing that goes on and gearing was better with bigger tires, but I would be those parts would be even harder to come to without big price tags.

ACME

Reaction
How big of a difference is there between a single port and dual port motor? Would it be fair to say single seat cars have to run single port motors and two seat cars can run dual port motors?

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

It's easier to control any disparity with a restrictor plate and/or ballast.

Imho there were less trans issues with the SPs which equats to lower costs.

Love you too Joel!

mrmatt

Reaction
Regarding the power difference between sp and dp.... I have heard varying numbers over the years but I made the change to dp this year after running sp for 8 years and it is a noticeable difference by a pretty big margin. That being said, I would still have no hesitation throwing my sp in if I needed to...it was always competitive. Peterson has won 2/championships with an sp...
But I would choose my dual.port any day of the week. It is definaltey faster as a whole.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

snoreracer

Reaction
The trans cost has become ridiculous. Even if you went with all the high dollar parts, axles and axle tubes will still need replacing every couple to 3 races on top of the trans look through. Originally Class 18 was suppose to be for 100" cars, but someone with some pull at SNORE decided their old 1600 car would fit the class nicely and the wheelbase rule went out the window, making 100" cars not competitive. And switching to link pin stuff up front but using the 8" travel shock rule will make leaf springs live much longer than what the 1600 guys are getting out of the leaves now with 10" of travel. I think I would put a limit on rear travel at 12" so that the entire driveline can live forever and those without big bucks but access to stock VW parts could run type 2 CVs and not have issues.
Class 18 was always a old 1600 class but to make car more competitive it was 100'" was the lowest weight
SCR41 Weight will be dry weight with all tools, spare parts, and spare tire removed but weighed with driver and co-driver...1750lbs @ 100" and any wheelbase over 100" will add 10lbs per inch max 120".

Bro_Gill

Reaction
No, I remember the conversations, they included converting Class 9 cars with the wheelbase and to get all those older 100" cars back out in the desert. Would have worked too, but the wheelbase thing killed it.

snoreracer

Reaction
I don't think you are talking about Snore class 18 champ car class . That class was set up with older 1600s in mind and at the march 2004 SNORE general membership meeting about 25 racers showed up and set up rules for the class and the class started racing in 2005. The only change to the rules was in 2009 to allow power steering. In 2006 there were 12 to 15 cars racing and some were old 9 cars that they put a bus box in and went racing. I think that not having the class at more hurt and some of the guys racing moved up to 1600 or got out of racing. I plan on running in Snore this year in my 1983 bunderson and to try and get some competition putting up $3,000 to the points in the class ,$1,500 1st $1,000 2nd and $500 3rd

Bro_Gill

Reaction
There you go- Twice the price of a complete car! But at least you know it will work with the ecotec!