Just say no to gas welding

punkassslacker

Reaction
The pic is out of a car that was on a customers trailer at work, it's an 80's Mustang that was converted to a drag car, the guy MIGed most of the cage and brazed a few joints(if you can call that brazing), the best thing is the guy was a "Mechanical Engineer".

Remember just say no...

cleartoy

Reaction
Hamburgers\boogers anyone?

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

Dave_G

Reaction
Holy crap!!!!!!

Dave

"I know it all, but I can't remember most of it..."

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
that is sick

<font color=green>That which is, cannot be that which is not except in the minds and hands</font color=green>

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Must have been one of those engineers with a 4.0 GPA and can't do anything real.

Kris
"I was thinking the exact same thing about you..."

rdc

Reaction
Just cause they can design it does'nt mean they should build it!!!

ntsqd

Reaction
My MIG welds look about like that, which is why I TIG everything. For some reason I've never been able to consistantly make a MIG weld that is correct. Yet, other than when the shakes set in, I have rarely have trouble getting a decent TIG bead.

Just say no to un-edu-ma-cated morons with any kind of welder.

TS

I used swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

jwfab1

Reaction
I have the opposite problem, I can consistantly mig pretty good, its tig welding I'm not very consistant. I'm taking a class though and have gotten better, but that looks horrible.

evan_clanin

Reaction
ifm gettin ready to start building my truck, and i can weld mig tig gas and arc, i have a arc set up and a gas set up, i dont want to go out and bye a new mig set up, would i be ok to gas the tubing, or is gas not provide enough penetration?

evan

ntsqd

Reaction
If you are really, really good with an Oxy-Buel torch it will do the job. If you are not, or if you don't want to spend the next 4 years (Ok, slight exageration....) welding it together then I would consider getting something else.

TS

AZmiik

Reaction
Well OAW has worked for years in the aircraft industry and I remember having a good discussion about a similar subject not to long ago. If you would rather use an electric process you could get a TIG torch with a gas valve, Argon flow meter and a cylinder of argon. This hooked to your arc welder can give you decent results as a scratch start TIG. You could also look into a high freq. Arc starter if you don’t want to try the touch start.

Mike

ntsqd

Reaction
I agree, but Aircraft stuff is usually quite a bit thinner walled material. .120 wall both complicates things in some ways and makes it easier in other ways.
4130 was originally designed to be Oxy-fuel welded and used to build aircraft internal structures.

TS

rdc

Reaction
that looks like some of the weld i see on the building here in vegas makes you think dont it i think my dad would shoot me if i welded like that on one of his jobs damm what people get away with

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
He had to have been drunk when he did that!

HDRA, there is this cool punctuation mark called a period and it helps people make sense of what you wrote. Have you heard of it? :) j/k

See ya in the dirt!

Tom_Willis

Reaction
what speed was the car moving at when it was welded? Was the weldor running alongside or was he driving it, too?

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
And all of us part time fabbers weld perfecly every time. I say if its not your car...get over it.

<font color=yellow>United Jump Truck Society<font color=yellow>
U.J.T.S. President.

punkassslacker

Reaction
I never said that my welds were perfect, I just thought it was funny having a mig welded cage with a couple "gas welds", thats it.

Time flies, but airplanes crash

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
That seems to me like a repair weld..maybe thats al they had.

Kris
"I was thinking the exact same thing about you..."