k&n sand cover

singlehanded

Reaction
First off do I need a cover for my k&n for glamis sand. If so where do I get one or how do I make one, what do you guys use.

midnight landscaper working overtime and I'm full throttle I'm full throttle tonight

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Use a prefilter..should have one on all the time. Pick them up at KArtek

Kris
"I was thinking the exact same thing about you..."

singlehanded

Reaction
Ya I rigged one up this morning seems every place close doesnt stock them and I needed it today. thanks

midnight landscaper working overtime and I'm full throttle I'm full throttle tonight

ntsqd

Reaction
Call me crazy, but a filter that needs a pre-filter doesn't sound like much of a filter to me.........

TS

I used swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Show me a filter that can handle the silt/sand and desert all alone for an extended period and i will agree. Paper type last one dez trip....k&n last a few, k&n with prefilter has lasted several.

Kris

Eric_M

Reaction
hey kritter....
i looked at your web site and watched those video clips you have. whats the name of the song that is on the "testing in barstow trip"? that song is sick, lol

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
mexico song from dez people the movie

Kris

bajaruner11

Reaction
"Show me a filter that can handle the silt/sand and desert all alone for an extended period and I will agree. Paper type last one dez trip....k&n last a few, k&n with prefilter has lasted several."

Obviously you have never heard of a farm implement filter canister. It uses a paper filter and is designed to throw excess dust, and silt away from the element. More commonly know in the off road race world as a UMP box. K & N filters are engine killers, yes they do flow more, hell they flow more of everything, dust, silt, dirt, you name it. Try this little test and prove it to yourself. Put a smooth layer of white lithium grease around the intake of the throttle body, or air horn if carbureted, and run your K & N's (well oiled!) until it's wash time. When you do check the lithium grease you'll freak!!

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
We use an UMP in the race truck and it is inside the cab. After an ordeal in a silt bed it was wasted...probably pulled out 1 inch of silt into a 5 gal bucket, yes it did keep from getting in the engine for the most part but it was still wasted and was hindering intake.... and it costs a lot and is not reusable.

Kris

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
"yes it did keep from getting in the engine for the most part but it was still wasted and was hindering intake.... and it costs a lot and is not reusable."

Filter = 18.00$
Race motor = 10,000$

Hard choice. On the 5 car we have two UMP's not for flow but for surface area.......

michael_loomis

Reaction
outerwears are best for glamis sand . i'd have to agree that yes they do flow better , but they dont clean the air all that great. which would you guys deem better for a bike/quad , a K&N or an oiled "foam" filter ? i would think that the K&N would be better than foam , but not as good as paper, from a FILTERING aspect. how about power ?

bajaruner11

Reaction
Kritter, would a totally plugged K & N after a silt bed, and a wasted engine have been a better deal? You can knock the silt out a of paper filter and continue on, or just slip in a new cartridge. With K& N it's more like having to do your laundry in the middle of no where, grease, oil, wrappers, hot water, soap, screw that crap, with a big set of K & N's you go through $18 in cleaning supplies! No offence to you, I just know from experience that these filters are trouble.

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Why is everybody except Kritter being so critical of K&N filters? It seems regardless of what is said, everybody still races with them on.

See ya in the dirt!

bajaruner11

Reaction
michael_loomis, on a bike go with foam. Another thing to look at on a K & N is this filstar gauze itself. After cleaning the filter hold it up to the sun light and look through the filter from the inside, you will see a bunch of little pin holes straight threw. Now oil your filter and look again you will see the little pin holes only this time they will be red. My point is how long do you think it takes for air flow to draw the oil out of the pin wholes and leave a open hole? Since the open hole will flow more the little hole will be open first. Now I'm not saying that K & N's are total junk I think the concept is good, and the ease of application is great for the price. I just wish that K & N would put more emphasis into filtering than flow . Then they would have something!

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
We stil use the UMP but on prerunners and the sort...K&N is the only way to go.

Kris

desertracer

Reaction
On our car we run a k&n with an outer foam oiled filter on it. The k&n has worked great so far, and during races if the outer foam gets dirty we just pull that off and throw on another one. The ones from ump work very well too. So far we have had no problems with pulling dirt into the motor.

MDR #112

motoxscott

Reaction
Kris why do you think a K&N is a better choice for a prerunner/daily driver?
I've never used an UMP can but doesn't it do a better job than a K&N drop in or cone filter?

ntsqd

Reaction
"Put a smooth layer of white lithium grease around the intake of the throttle body, or air horn if carbureted, and run your K & N's (well oiled!) until it's wash time. When you do check the lithium grease you'll freak!!"

BT, DT. Kept getting grit on the inside of the filter can, past the K&N. My old swirl pot never had that problem. Only gave up on it because it wouldn't flow enough for the 2.0L and at the time I could not find a bigger one. If I decide to rebuild that buggy I will go looking for a new swirl pot at the farm implement stores. One for a Wisconsin ought to be about big enough.

TS

I used swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.