Kar Tek 400 Course

JenDiggityDirt

Reaction
For those of you who are racing the Kar Tek 400 in a couple weeks, but won't have a chance to prerun the course, we have some extensive notes on prerunners.com that you might find useful. Please note that [insert disclaimer here] Inland Prerunners and prerunners.com makes no guarantee as to the accuracy of these course notes. They are not approved or authorized by Mojave Desert Racing in any way. They are provided as a rough guide only and we strongly encourage you to go out and prerun each race course yourself to get the best overall view of each course. If you find the notes useful please let us know! We appreciate the feedback. It's a lot of extra work and, although we don't mind doing it, we don't want to keep it up unless people are actually using them. Here's a link to where you can find the notes: www.prerunners.com/coursenotes.htm</A>

<font color=white>JEN</font color=white>
http://prerunners.com/butterfly.gif</A>">

Chris

Reaction
thank you much!!! It's always nice to have something tangible to go off of like course notes instead of my not always real acurated memory, so you can be prepared for whats around the next bend in the trail.

Eric

Reaction
Hey Jenn,

First off - A big thanks for posting the course notes. This will be my first High Desert race, even though I lived there for several years, and I was curious as what to expect.

Quick question about the sandy areas - is this like Nevada Silt or Mexico depth sand, very loose and easy to dig in, or is this harder packed sand? Would you say this course is sandier than rocky or is it mostly rocky and hard pack?

I have no idea what tires to race out there and my car is so old, I need any advantage I can get :)

Thanks for all your efforts and any info...

Eric
-------------------
Z-YA Racing

Jack

Reaction
I would say it is more like Nevada Silt, but not as bad. Just in short areas, and not as deep (on the first lap).

JenDiggityDirt

Reaction
Eric...
Fortunately, MDR made it a point to cut out most of the silty sections. There's maybe a tenth of a mile across a dry lake that's got some fine dust, but that's about it. Most of the sections where I note "sandy" in the notes means very granular sand...like little itty bitty boulders...less like sand and more like a lot of deep pebbles. It's high desert sand. If you grew up in them parts like I did you'd recognize it as kind of being unique to that area. The hardpack sections are very very very hard. Some parts are even more like you're driving on a big rock. Hope that helps out! If anyone has any questions on any sections just let me know like the approx mile and it will be easier to remember what that section was like.
PJC...We just got a GPS and tried it out for the first time on Saturday. We're still figuring out how it works so we'll work on doing something with it next race.
Good luck to everyone!

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
Greg and Jen, I know I speak for everyone in here, thank you so much for what you and your group does to help MDR mark these courses so we can all just come out and watch a race... THANK YOU. You guys rule... We need 200 more of you guys/girls in this sport and we will be at the top! Maybe we can plan RDC/IP course marking excursion for the night race or the race after, It will be pretty cool with 200 people out marking the course. :) What do you say guys are you guys down for a good time and to help out IP and MDR?

Eric

Reaction
Wow, that is great news - (Saves me from buyin a couple of new rims).. If there is anything I can do in return for you guys/gals, let me know...

Eric
-------------------
Z-YA Racing

JenDiggityDirt

Reaction
Well thanks guys (and Terrie!)! Everything Greg & I do we do because we enjoy it but I must admit to a warm feeling knowing that it's appreciated!