Kawasaki UTV

Olson04

Is anyone building a Kawasaki desert race utv yet. I see mcgrath had one at king of the hammers. But is anyone building one for bitd or score.

sand shark

I am sure someone will build one. It will need to have a higher top speed than the current 68mph from the factory.

NIKAL

Both Alba & Benchmark already have the Kawi in their shops and are working on programming, both have said increasing the top speed was not an issue.

When I asked Nate @ Alba his opinion of the Kawi, he said he did not care for the double clutching system. It’s got a CVT and a wet clutch. He said the wet clutch is an unknown as to its longevity or how it supports extra power. He still thinks the Arctic Cat XX is the best production machine available.

sand shark

Both Alba & Benchmark already have the Kawi in their shops and are working on programming, both have said increasing the top speed was not an issue.

When I asked Nate @ Alba his opinion of the Kawi, he said he did not care for the double clutching system. It’s got a CVT and a wet clutch. He said the wet clutch is an unknown as to its longevity or how it supports extra power. He still thinks the Arctic Cat XX is the best production machine available.
It will be interesting to see what they do with the Kawi. I think they will end up doing some type of change to the clutch to get ride of the wet clutch.

My friend picked up a used XX for a smoking deal - $12,500. I was very impressed on how well it did in Glamis with 32" dirt tires. It is a stout SXS. It is a shame Textron never put a turbo model out.

Nessy

Chris at Benchmark preferred the XX overall as well, but that was before the Kawi came out.

Total Loss

It will be interesting to see what they do with the Kawi. I think they will end up doing some type of change to the clutch to get ride of the wet clutch.

My friend picked up a used XX for a smoking deal - $12,500. I was very impressed on how well it did in Glamis with 32" dirt tires. It is a stout SXS. It is a shame Textron never put a turbo model out.
Mine with 30 paddles (heavy drifters) , Speedwerx tune (similar to Alba- he couldn't do mine because Kommie Kali and all) and heavier secondary clutch spring makes it run great in Glamis...seems to hit another level now above 9k. You feel the weight up the hills though but I did beat my bud in his RS1 up Olds at about 500 lbs more. 2WD.

sand shark

Mine with 30 paddles (heavy drifters) , Speedwerx tune (similar to Alba- he couldn't do mine because Kommie Kali and all) and heavier secondary clutch spring makes it run great in Glamis...seems to hit another level now above 9k. You feel the weight up the hills though but I did beat my bud in his RS1 up Olds at about 500 lbs more. 2WD.
My friend is going to get some Sandcraft Destoryer skat paddles for his. That motor likes to scream.

Lee Vining

Textron is a head scratcher for sure. Really thought the big 4 seater would be their sales break-out machine. Under powered, trouble prone it just faded away.

NIKAL

Textron is a head scratcher for sure. Really thought the big 4 seater would be their sales break-out machine. Under powered, trouble prone it just faded away.
Head scratcher for sure, and I believed releasing the 4 seat model would have probably doubled sales of the XX if marketed right. That is actually the biggest problem with the XX is Textron/Arctic Cat’s marketing, dealer support and customer service.

I would will disagree with you that it’s underpowered and trouble prone. For one it’s still the highest HP naturally Aspirated UTV in the market. It’s got Polaris beat by 20 hp. That huge! The new Kawi KRX only has 112 hp. And what issues has the XX really had? No major recalls, no fire issues like Polaris. Your not hearing of chassis or suspension issues like Can Am has. Both Polaris & Can Am see ball joint failures every day. Have yet to see or hear of a XX hiem failing.

Yes the XX had sway bar links that clunked. A fix was released (should have been give to first year model owners for free! Another customer service issue) Axles were the biggest issue and unfortunately was preventable if they would have just used Robby’s original design in the first place. Robby released his Aftermarket fix and now Arctic Cat has their Center plunging axle that seems to be their production fix. The rack should have been double sheared. Seems to only be an issue for those who run hard. Aftermarket bracket fixed that. There have been some water pump issues, But that’s a Yamaha issue, and Yamaha’s stance has been the failures are do to the prolonged high RPM’s the XX is kept at. The YXZ does not seem to have this issue due to a few hundred lower RPM’s, the shifting, and honestly you can’t run a YXZ as hard or long as the suspension design does not allow you too. You would wad up a YXZ trying to keep up with a XX in the bumps.

Now back to the Kawasaki KXR. My friend sold his XP and just bought one. I have yet to ride in it, but looking at it, it’s a very nice machine. Fit & finish is much better then most other UTV’s. It’s Very stout! It’s heavier then the Polaris or Can Am. It’s N/A so probably not your dune machine of choice. But the inner fender wells are steal. So you won’t have sticks or debris going through them. The bottom of the chassis has a sold steel plate skid plate. The suspension is very robust compared to a Polaris or Can Am. The interior is nice and very roomy.

I think the KXR will be a great all around desert machine and rock crawler UTV. And it’s at a great Price Point compared to others in its class.

sand shark

Head scratcher for sure, and I believed releasing the 4 seat model would have probably doubled sales of the XX if marketed right. That is actually the biggest problem with the XX is Textron/Arctic Cat’s marketing, dealer support and customer service.

I would will disagree with you that it’s underpowered and trouble prone. For one it’s still the highest HP naturally Aspirated UTV in the market. It’s got Polaris beat by 20 hp. That huge! The new Kawi KRX only has 112 hp. And what issues has the XX really had? No major recalls, no fire issues like Polaris. Your not hearing of chassis or suspension issues like Can Am has. Both Polaris & Can Am see ball joint failures every day. Have yet to see or hear of a XX hiem failing.

Yes the XX had sway bar links that clunked. A fix was released (should have been give to first year model owners for free! Another customer service issue) Axles were the biggest issue and unfortunately was preventable if they would have just used Robby’s original design in the first place. Robby released his Aftermarket fix and now Arctic Cat has their Center plunging axle that seems to be their production fix. The rack should have been double sheared. Seems to only be an issue for those who run hard. Aftermarket bracket fixed that. There have been some water pump issues, But that’s a Yamaha issue, and Yamaha’s stance has been the failures are do to the prolonged high RPM’s the XX is kept at. The YXZ does not seem to have this issue due to a few hundred lower RPM’s, the shifting, and honestly you can’t run a YXZ as hard or long as the suspension design does not allow you too. You would wad up a YXZ trying to keep up with a XX in the bumps.

Now back to the Kawasaki KXR. My friend sold his XP and just bought one. I have yet to ride in it, but looking at it, it’s a very nice machine. Fit & finish is much better then most other UTV’s. It’s Very stout! It’s heavier then the Polaris or Can Am. It’s N/A so probably not your dune machine of choice. But the inner fender wells are steal. So you won’t have sticks or debris going through them. The bottom of the chassis has a sold steel plate skid plate. The suspension is very robust compared to a Polaris or Can Am. The interior is nice and very roomy.

I think the KXR will be a great all around desert machine and rock crawler UTV. And it’s at a great Price Point compared to others in its class.
The Kawi KXR is an excellent trail and cruiser. The XX and KXR are the two best offerings for a n/a sport SXS. It will be interesting to see how the K&T turbo kit authorized through Kawi will improve the power.

Still amazes me that Honda, Yamaha and Kawi do not offer turbo factory models. Kawi and Yamaha certainly are not scared to offer supercharged watercraft that will do 70 mph and ruin your day real quick if you get tossed off.

novaman64

The Kawi KXR is an excellent trail and cruiser. The XX and KXR are the two best offerings for a n/a sport SXS. It will be interesting to see how the K&T turbo kit authorized through Kawi will improve the power.

Still amazes me that Honda, Yamaha and Kawi do not offer turbo factory models. Kawi and Yamaha certainly are not scared to offer supercharged watercraft that will do 70 mph and ruin your day real quick if you get tossed off.

Very true..

Although I believe Jackson Racing had a authorized turbo for the Talon....

Would be nice if the NA models all had something similar. Would be a very nice option for people wanting to get into racing, be able to get in at NA, build their machine, then bu a factory option to go turbo class rather than having to buy a new UTV....