kevlar

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
I want fiberglass for my truck. i'm thinking about kevlar.what is the difference. I want it to look cool but what is better kevlar or like most stuff i see is carbon fiberglass and and the people who buy it think it is carbon fiber. so if anyone knows about this please explain.

scott

Reaction
Are you racing???? Carbon Fiber is stronger than regular glass. If its regular street truck, no need to spend the money.

vwguy

Reaction
i have not ever heard of products for trucks that involve kevlar butfor your info kevlar is what bullet proof vests are made up of so form your own opinion

how ironic is it that most people slow down for speed bumps yet almost all of us here im sure pin it

ntsqd

Reaction
Kevlar is very strong in tensile loading, but I suspect that carbon fibre is stiffer in a laminate. Kevlar nearly has to be of the pre-preg variety as getting it to 'wet out' is difficult. The Lola T-8990 I worked on had a Kevlar reinforced nose piece. It was light, it was also several thousand dollars for a simple sports racer nose with less surface area than one class 8 hood.
I'd look for woven regular glass fibres used with an epoxy resin. Common cheap fibreglas parts use a chopper gun (no weave to the fibres) and polyester resin.

"Teach you all I know and you're still stupid"
-- Howdy Lee

Jimmy8

Reaction
kevlar is not used alone, but usually lines something for strength because it is so expensive. Usually you will have something like a carbon fiber shell, and a kevlar lining like in most high dollar helmets.

ntsqd

Reaction
The reason Kevlar is used as the innermost layer on things like helmets and Human Powered Vehicle fairings is that if you fracture carbon fibre, the strands are very sharp and the Kevlar acts to reduce or eliminate puncture wounds. The HPV rules require the Kevlar liner in the case of carbon weave use.
The Lola's nose piece was pure Kevlar woven material, sandwiched over Kevlar honeycomb in the mostly flat areas.

"Teach you all I know and you're still stupid"
-- Howdy Lee

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
Wrong Forum, isn't this "shop talk"?

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
John, can you change Shaun's title to "Forum Police"? J/K Shaun. I agree, get this crap out of here and into the shop! Ha!Ha!

BRAAAAAAAAP!