Kia TT in June 2002 Issue of Motor Trend

full_pull

Lobo
Reaction
There is a short 3 page article on the Kia trophy truck in the June 2002 issue (2003 Viper on the cover) of Motor Trend magzine.

Tim

Reaction
I just read that while I was getting my tires balanced. That thing is pretty bad ass and suprising considering its a Kia! I want to drive around a trophy truck and write an article on how cool it was!! waaah! Tim

scott

Reaction
Did anyone notice at San Felipe, their sponsor is Edelbrock, so their running them next to the coilovers. It pays the bills, but its funny when you look at it. I suppose they put them on to run through contingency.

drtdevil93

Reaction
Message to Kia:

PUT A FREAKIN' MOTOR IN THAT THING!!! 350HP ISNT ENOUGH FOR A STOCK MINI, MUCH LESS A TROPHY TRUCK. I WANT TO SEE 600 MINIMUM BEFORE THE NEXT RACE! YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELFS FOR TRYING TO GET AWAY WITH THAT.

erik

mgobaja

Reaction
I also noticed at SF that the brake lights and Amber light were all well hidden under the rear cover. Almost behind the drivers head. So not only is it underpowered it's also unsafe for it's own driver.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Horsepower to weight is about the same as the rest or it least it seems about 10:1.

Kris

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>

full_pull

Lobo
Reaction
I don't have the article in front of me, but they refer to the Edelbrocks as "prototype Edelbrock rebound control devices" or something along those lines. As for the horsepower to weight ratio, I can't recall the figures, but they do list both the Kia's and the figures for Jeffries TT and the Kia is significantly (3 or 4 pounds heavier per horsepower) underpowered.

scott

Reaction
I know they blew the motor on the Dyno before Laughlin and thats why the drove the Class 3. I thought the motor was going to be ready for SF, but I guess it wasn't. Supposably that was just a stock type motor to get some miles on it.

Tom_Willis

Reaction
SCORE rules for Trophy Truck are basic. It has to look like a new model truck or SUV, and run an engine "based on" available production motors. Do the rules limit the number of motors in the vehicle?........... (Just thinkin' outside the box)

FABRICATOR

Reaction
Remember when the top rally cars had 2 engines? Wow!
10:1 power to weight is not good and the KIA looks to be less than that...

<font color=orange>The best ideas are the ones that look obvious to the casual observer.</font color=orange>

Josh_Bethmann

Reaction
My friends and I saw this truck testing in Barstow about three weeks ago. The Edelbrock shocks have King resevoirs on them. Very interesting the wat they have it set up. It has a stosk KIA V6 in it right now with a new race motor being built. It has roughly 18" of travel all around and is very simple in construction. For a stock motor it gets up and goes pretty good. They should do pretty well. Good Luck To Them.
-Josh

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.JTB-Design.com>http://www.JTB-Design.com</A>