• Forum membership has its advantages....

king 2.5" Pure Race VS. King 2.5" pre-runner

sirhk100

king 2.5\" Pure Race VS. King 2.5\" pre-runner

I've already done tons of research to determine the difference between King and SAW and will stay away from that. Now my question is for a dual rate coil over what is the difference between King's 2.5" Pure race series shock and their 2.5" Pre-Runner shock? I looked over the web site and all I found was that the Pre-Runner shaft is just harden chrome coated and the Pure Race has a shaft that is actually hardenend. Is this the only differnece?

'99YZ400,
'92 Ford Exploder lifted work in progress,
lifted golf cart

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Re: king 2.5\" Pure Race VS. King 2.5\" pre-runner

if you gonna go kings which ... never mind hate to start that again go with the race the seals in the prerunners are junk if you want the prerunner shock swap the seals with thier race version then you wont leak in a couple monthes
just my 2 cents though
dan

DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!

Kritter

Krittro Campbell

If I remeber the price is considerably different. IF you are only building a prerunner I would go with the prerunners. You dont really need a hardened shaft if you are only going to be abusing it occasionally.
The seal swap sounds like a good idea but I am not aware of leaking seals on the prerunners.

Kris

When in doubt, GAS IT!

Jimmy8

I know on the pre runners their is only a rubber hose going to the resivoir, and the race series, it is steel braided. The pre runners are made in bulk as well, and the bodies on the shocks are all the same. If you get one with a 12 inch stroke, the body will be the same as the one for the 16 inch, which means it will still be pretty long for the 12 inch. the only differnce is the shaft length. The race shocks are all hand made, and are a lot more high quality, but dont get me wrong, the pre runners work well to. My friend has a set of the pre runners on his f-150, and they work great. if you are on a budget, go with the pre runners, but if you have a little extra cash laying around I would spring for the race shocks, and I promise you, you wont be disappointed.

sirhk100

Okay, I SERIOUSLY DON'T WANT TO START A HUGE COMPANY DEBATE but, what are your guys experiences with the SAW seals?

I wasn't reading this forum back when what ever happened happened and I don't want to be the cause of it again so if this will start issues or something please PM me and we can deal with it that way. I just know someone has feelings or something against comparing shops and distributers from some other threads I've read.
Khris

'99YZ400,
lifted golf cart

John Bitting

Administrator

Sorry Khris that question is off limits.. Every shock you buy will have its own little glitches. Nothing is perfect in this world. That is why companies sale rebuild kits and warranty shocks. Just remember if someone has had a problem with it, the company knows about it and is willing to work with the comsumer until they are happy. Whether it is King, Sway Away, Bilstien or Fox. They are all great companies and will stand behind their product. You have a bad seal and the shock is new then that is covered.

Steve_HKmtrsprts

Re: king 2.5" Pure Race VS. King 2.5" pre-runner

I ran the Prerunner series Kings on my daily driver Chevy for about a year and never had a problem with them leaking. Now I have SAW coilovers on my Ford and I was going to switch them out for Kings because of hearing of leaking problems but I have not had a problem with them yet. So I am gonna buy some SAW bypasses for the rear and pray that I dont have any horror stories. So far I havent had problems with either of the brands of shocks as used on my daily drivers. So I believe if you take care of your shocks which ever brand they are, they will work well and should be problem free.

sirhk100

Steve,

Your response begs a question of what kind of maintenance is required with these shocks? I don't have experience with them. I know on my dirtbike I have the rear shock, which I assume is kinda comparable. On it I've had teh coil changed to my weight and riding style as well as the internals valved to my liking. As far as maintenance goes I have the fluid changed at least once a season if not more depending on my hours on the bike and where I ride most during a season as well as when the shock just starts to not feel right. I have to adjust the sag occasionally as well. Is this similar stuff to the coil overs for trucks? Do you have to set sag occasionally and change fluids regularly? If so, is the fluid change easy or inexpensive to have done?

'99YZ400,
lifted golf cart

Donahoe

John, I think you can addres the Saw Leaking question... Its not going to hurt Saw. This is the truth. The problem was in part Saws fault and in part the customers fault... WHen Saw brought the prices down a few years ago EVERYONE could afford Race shocks so DOOR KNOBS who have no idea what they own started putting SAWS on there trucks and not charging them with nitogen.. (the seal wont set unless the shock is charged) the second problem is SAW let about 80 shocks go out with the wrong seal head o-ring groove in it... THOSE SHOCKS LEAKED.... ANd you know as well as I that the word spread fast in this sport so instantly SAW shocks sucked. But in the last year and a half I have yet to see a SAW leak unless it was one of the original 80 shocks.... There is Nothing Wrong with THe Saw Shocks... And bang for your buck it is still in my opinion the best buy... All the top 4 shock companies have there good qualities and there bad. But that is the saw leaking story...Peace out.

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

sirhk100

Hey Kreg,
On a side note and outta curiosity are your radius arms for the Ranger Chromoly or mild steel? What about the cross member?

Thanks,

Also thanks guys for the info on the shocks. If I were to walk into a shop and buy a SAW or King hanging on the wall do I need to have it charged? From what Kreg said it sounds like I do. I'm probably one of those kids (24y/o) that Kreg was talking about that bought stuff they don't know about. The difference is I'm trying to learn all I can before I buy the stuff and spend the money wrong!!

'99YZ400,
lifted golf cart

Waldo

Safehouse

To my understanding, the King Prerunner shocks have cast end pieces. The race shocks have cnc machined end pieces. Both are pretty blue and look similar. Casting cut the cost for the "prerunner" label.

BRAAAAAAAAP!

Steve_HKmtrsprts

sirhk100,

Well I clean my shocks up just about every time I wash my truck and I check the shaft for nicks. And before I go out to a race or just go out to play I always charge the shocks up, My friends and I make it part of our ritual of prepping the trucks before going to Glamis and stuff. You should always look over your truck and tighten up bolts before you go out to beat on it. And when I get back I clean my truck and under carriage and do another eyeball check on my suspension and shocks. May seem like a pain but I think it's more of a pain to break something cause of not maintaining it. Especially since it's my daily driver. And about sag I dont know, I just changed my spring rates on my shocks cause I put wider beams on and have not had them on long enough to see if I get any sag yet. I would take care of your truck like you would with your bike. It just becomes routine. More maintenance = less money in the long run. Just my 2cents

Kritter

Krittro Campbell

Khris

You will need to have the shock charged. Usually where you buy them form will charge them for you for free . Nitrogen is cheap. If they don't offer to charge them free then I would go to a different shop just becasue of principality.

Kris

When in doubt, GAS IT!

Waldo

Safehouse

You can take your shocks to any welding suppy shop and they can re-charge them for a minimal fee.

BRAAAAAAAAP!

sirhk100

How much does it cost to get them charged up? Do you tend to find them low on PSI often?

'99YZ400,
lifted golf cart

mike_hinson

Question regarding charging shocks. Does anyone out there know where to buy the little connector that screws to the Schrader valve and has the little "t" handle to open the valve core? This part is the critical piece of a shock charging unit. I was wanting to find one so I can build my own charging device, like the ones you can purchase from the race equipment shops.
Thanks, Mike

sirhk100

Wow, looks like you guys were posting at the same time as my last one. Do you have to take them off or can they just get in there with their equipment. I appologize if these are lame questions!!

'99YZ400,
lifted golf cart

Waldo

Safehouse

I tell my students not to shy away from asking questions. Any question is considered a good one. If any other students mocks or laughs at another student's questions, they are immediately disciplined.

Regarding your shocks, I think it depends on how much and how hard you will be using your shocks. Obviously, every time I service my shock on my motorcycle I have to get it recharged. The shocks on your vehicle should be well maintained like someone posted earlier. If your shocks fad or aren't working like they normally do, then I would service them and get them recharged.

BRAAAAAAAAP!

sirhk100

Thank you professor WALDO!!!!

So you go by just feel and performance. That's awesome!! I can't wait to have a setup that I could actually fine tune!!

'99YZ400,
lifted golf cart

Waldo

Safehouse

Don't forget to ask the manufacturer of the shock their recommended Nitrogen PSI.

BRAAAAAAAAP!