King & Fox shocks on ebay

Motorider

Reaction
I e-mailed the first guy Shazzam, someone else with an e-bay account e-mail the second one, and we'll check if they are going to the same e-mail

Motorider

Reaction
This is what he said,

XSoCalRiderX@aol.com
"They're slightly used but still in good condition. I had them on my silverado HD with a Full Throttle lift. I had the Dual-Bypass on the front and I'm also selling my rear shocks which are the king piggybacks."

I just remembered that e-bay won't let you set up two accounts with only one e-mail address, at least not 3 years ago.

J_Dog

Reaction
E Bay does have their own investigations division. If you think they may be stolen or suspicious, I would contact them. If these things were stolen by one person and now that person is selling them, he could be using different e-mail addresses for the accounts. E Bay's investigations would be able to look into it. They are pretty good at their investigations and are very pro-law enforcement. So, if they found out these were stolen items it is likely the seller would be prosecuted. They don't want to be a fencing operation for criminal activity (it would hurt their business reputation), so they are very concerned about suspicious things.

bajaboy

Reaction
There have been talks of stolen shock going around on all desert racing sites lately. Some people have been suggesting that we tack weld the bolt to the shock mount just to make it alittle harder to take. Or engrave a mark or name to identify your shock. You guys have any other ideas ? Having $2000 of shocks sitting in my Anaheim driveway sounds like a stupid thing to do now. Maybe the shock shops could start a registration program?

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
I always tack weld my shock bolts on. Serial numbers only do good if you can recover the shocks. Why do a serial # only? It dosent stop them from taking them.

jeff

Reaction
Trucks have VINs and are usually registered and they get stolen all the time and most are never recovered. I agree that prevention is the best action in this case. Going on the suggestion that registration of serial numbers for parts is a pretty good idea. If someone wanted to start a database of off-road parts it would be pretty easy to do - and extend it beyond just shock absorbers. The problem then becomes what if someone decides to grind/sand/cover-up the engraved serials? I've had shat stolen before (tools come to mind) that was engraved and the person I am almost positive did it just ground my initials off. The COPS wouldn't do anything about it either - my word against his with no proof they were my tools.

Aloha

JeffS

Reaction
I'm thinking that a tack-weld is tough to remove without ruining the bolt with your grinder....
What do you guys think about drilling a hole in the bolt at the end, and using a pop-rivet to keep the nut from coming off easily ? (like a permanent cotterpin) ... then you just have to drill out the aluminum rivet to remove the shock bolts. And I doubt the theives will be carrying drills with them.

- Jeff S.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
with all the F911 hardware I see on kits ...tighten those things to spec and no pansy ass thief will be able to loosen them to take your shocks!

kjmiller1

Reaction
Does anybody make a locking mechanism for bolts? I know they have locking trailer hitches. It seems like so many people these days are spending a lot of money on shocks, so I'd bet some company could make money off of it. I picture a bolt and nut so you tighten it like normal, but have a lock at the end to prevent the nut from coming off that slides off when three rotating washers are lined up right. I can hack into those little boxes with the rotating combination locks in like two minutes, but I figured out a design flaw and even then I doubt a theif would want to deal with it.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
A buddy of mine designs special nuts and bolts for aircraft and one if them is an obround nut that uses a special tool to tighten it and once the obround nut reaches the proper torque it goes round and cannot be removed without a special tool. Granted...a set if visegrips would get it off, but it still is a theft deterrent.

sirhk100

Reaction
I saw a guy last night that had run one long brake cable in between the all the bypass tubes and shock body on both shocks. He had a tab welded to his cage with a hole punched in it that the ends of the cables ran to and he had a master lock running through the tab and cable ends. I'm assuming he did it this way to keep the lock positioned there and not bouncing all over. You'd have to cut the lock, cable, or rip off the bypass tubes to get them off the truck. Maybe that and tacking your bolt heads. Obviously nothing is theft proof but I'd want to make them work for the stuff if they're gonna steal it. Maybe pluging the car into the welder and somehow completeing the circuit when someone touches it with the alarm on.

Khris

motoxscott

Reaction
When my truck is built I will just sleep underneath it at night with a 12g.

Actually I like the idea of drilling the bolt and putting in a rivet.

-Scott

michael_loomis

Reaction
i'd be afraid the nut would just shear the rivet off .

how about using left hand thread bolts ! i can just see the thief now , mother @#$ son of a @#$^# !! this thing wont come loose !

ELECTRICITY AND THE SHOTTY seem good to me.

Timberwlf

Reaction
What about something based on automotive wheel locks?????

I have to say i like the left hand threads idea
That would be funnier than I failed spelling to watch

Brandon