King of the Trophy Truckers

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
The Toyo Tires Desert Invitational presented by Monter Energy was an exciting announcement for off road racing a couple of months ago. @Kartman recently sat down with @Dave Cole 4454 to see how the race has evolved in the short time since it's announcement.

Click here to check it out on the homepage.

Also, in the coming weeks Fishgistics will be filming a Q&A session with Dave Cole. @fishd00d has a post on Facebook and Instagram asking for anyone to submit questions for Dave. Since this is new race that is 4 months away I'm sure the race will have even more changes, possibly even in the next few weeks by the time the Q&A video is filmed...

J Prich

Reaction
Tell us more about the secretive underground world of the "Trophy Truck Union", lol.

Chris_Wilson

Reaction
Tell us the results of the rankings they came up with.

SuperRanger

Reaction
Politicians can! I'm sure they will do their best and equally sure of hurt feelers in the type A TT crowd.

TwistyItch

ADVERTISER
Reaction
This article says the dates are Feb 2 - Feb 10. The web site says Feb 1 - Feb 9.
Maybe Feb 1 is spectator move in and Feb 10 is last day to clear out?
Also the web site still says KOM is included but I thought David said elsewhere it would be a separate event?

Last edited:

Tipracer

Reaction
Tt union sound like a great idea, but I too would like to see how they did the rankings..5 years or so of data sounds like a good data set, but 50 trucks sounds like a lot IMO. The live coverage(even same day tape delay) can be done even in Mexico just would take a lot of resources(if Dakar can what’s stopping anybody from improving on what they can do?). I’m stoked to see people do new and different things, not only for the exposure and growth aspect but also to push teams to really push to win.

Goober

Reaction
50 TT's is too many. He should have been more selective, but money talks.

mgobaja

Reaction
50 TT's is too many. He should have been more selective, but money talks.
You could be correct, but this is Dave's show and his choice. Instead of everybody griping about it, spend that time and energy into promoting it into the most badass new event we have seen in years. I hope it is bigger for exposure than the currently most promoted event that takes place in Jean each spring.

Zac Reish

Reaction
I'm loving this idea and will attend for sure. Whats the course length?

McCredie A

Reaction
I like how they will be pulling the last 10 trucks off the course. Should make for a competitive race. I am looking forward to attending.

mgobaja

Reaction
distance, laps etc is in the story on RDC's front page

mgobaja

Reaction
The race will consist of two 80 mile and three 40 mile loops for a total of 280 miles. At the end of the first 40 mile loop, the bottom 10 trucks will be pulled from the course and the remianing 40 will race to the finish and the big payday. It has also confirmed that the TT’s will NOT race on the rocks. The TT race will share some of the desert sections with the KOH course, but there will be no rock crawling sections.

Tipracer

Reaction
Not that it would happen but in the off chance that rob Mac pulled 50th place start and only made it to 41st place overall, what then?! I like the idea of pulling back markers on a relatively short layout but determining start position based on arbitrary info seams janky, especially with no qualifying. I get the idea but transparency can only help to legitimize a great idea.

Dave Cole 4454

KING MAKER
Reaction
Not that it would happen but in the off chance that rob Mac pulled 50th place start and only made it to 41st place overall, what then?! I like the idea of pulling back markers on a relatively short layout but determining start position based on arbitrary info seams janky, especially with no qualifying. I get the idea but transparency can only help to legitimize a great idea.
It's not arbitrary at all. It is pure performance based on the last 3 years. The feedback I got from the drivers was they wanted some level of exclusivity, wanted their competition to be proven, the selection criteria to be objective, and most importantly any 'qualifier' for start positions be legitimately long and a true test. The prologue is 40 miles and is elapsed time. If you cant crack the top 40 on time in 40 miles, it just wasnt your day.

Fish will be the 'keeper of the list' and I'm confident it is the most objective way to grid the starters. The math will be documented and transparent.

After the first 40, re-grid and peel out.

Tipracer

Reaction
It's not arbitrary at all. It is pure performance based on the last 3 years. The feedback I got from the drivers was they wanted some level of exclusivity, wanted their competition to be proven, the selection criteria to be objective, and most importantly any 'qualifier' for start positions be legitimately long and a true test. The prologue is 40 miles and is elapsed time. If you cant crack the top 40 on time in 40 miles, it just wasnt your day.

Fish will be the 'keeper of the list' and I'm confident it is the most objective way to grid the starters. The math will be documented and transparent.

After the first 40, re-grid and peel out.
Thanks for clarifying Dave, that answers my questions. Very interested in grid list and rankings system.