King pin Beams VS Ball joint Beams

josh7674

Reaction
Ive tried to find threads on this topic but didnt find much so i though id start one. Ive heard alot of people say King pin is the way to go but ive also heard ball joints are the way to go so im super lost.

Heres my question-----------To build Equal length extended beams are ball joints worth my time or king pins worth my time????

Ive heard people say if i run ball joints i should need more than a stock upright and if i run king pins i can run the stock upright????? Any advice would be great thanks

Gonzo 5/1600

Reaction
Reading your thread title it sounds like you have a VW question, but your actual post sounds like a truck question... I'm a buggy guy so I don't know my truck setups but maybe you're confusing VW beam terminology with truck beam terminology?

In the VW world King/Link pins are preferable to ball joints for travel, and durability.

edit: looked around, not my area of knowledge, sorry...

josh7674

Reaction
Reading your thread title it sounds like you have a VW question, but your actual post sounds like a truck question... I'm a buggy guy so I don't know my truck setups but maybe you're confusing VW beam terminology with truck beam terminology?

In the VW world King/Link pins are preferable to ball joints for travel, and durability.

edit: looked around, not my area of knowledge, sorry...

Ya im asking about truck beams sorry to confuse you.But thanks anyways :cool:

bigtex

Reaction
I have always perfered king pin, but JD Fabrictions has a new set up with balljionts spindles (4x4) that uses uni-balls instead of balljionts.You get 4x4 spindles then order the beam ends from them, but if you are trying to save money just get king pins. You will never break them.

josh7674

Reaction

cool thank you much help.Their just going on a ranger.why im asking is cause i have all the front suspension components complete for my ranger but their ball joints so i just wanted to see if their worth running you know.

BRINGTHERUCKUS

Nimrod de PMC
Reaction
yea you can run ball joints, you just have to change them often if ran hard. cool set up is f100 beams in a ranger, instant 6 over beams...

Sato Bros. Racing

Reaction
You could do this....:D

Attachments

• 100_1574.jpg
    100_1574.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 4,972
  • 100_1575.jpg
    100_1575.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 4,429
  • 100_1577.jpg
    100_1577.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 1,430

fatnbald

Reaction
You could do this....:D
is that the cast knuckle you guys sell with your 60's or is it a old stock forged.
i have wondered for the past year or so, but never asked. i had thought long and hard about doing this setup. looks really good, and even though they are spendy, to carry a spare unit bearing and swap if there is a problem makes really good sense.

Sato Bros. Racing

Reaction
is that the cast knuckle you guys sell with your 60's or is it a old stock forged.
i have wondered for the past year or so, but never asked. i had thought long and hard about doing this setup. looks really good, and even though they are spendy, to carry a spare unit bearing and swap if there is a problem makes really good sense.

No, that is not the Tera cast knuckle.....I saved a set of the Ford forged ones for our truck:D. It didn't cost me that much to do......with Curries help and being able to do all the fab and machine work myself def. saved some money. Thanks again to the Currie family. That is one of the big benifits to the unit bearing set up, we just carry one spare and it will fit the front or back of the truck. Also, ZERO maintenance and strong as hell. We have about 400 miles on the rears and about 150 on the front and have had ZERO problems! We are going to upgrade the rear brakes to the Superlites so that the truck will run the same unit bearing,caliper, hat and rotor assys front and back. We absolutely love this set up!

BajaFand

Reaction
Dana 44 style beams are a cheap, easy, and strong way to go. The balljoints on a D44 are big and beefy, I have never heard of anyone breaking them. The greatest part about the whole thing is having a 2" hollow bolt on snout. You can find the parts at any junkyard or autoparts store if you break something, even in Baja. Try going to a junkyard to find a set of 1/2 ton 1" kingpin front steer beams, it's getting harder and harder these days to find them. You can get the 1 ton beams pretty easy but then you are stuck with 8 lug. I know of a Bronco prerunner that has been converted to 2wd that uses D44 beams ends with the stock spindles and snouts and hubs, this Bronco has over 60k prerunning miles on it and has prerun almost every SCORE race since the mid 90's, including the '07 B1K twice without being trailered either time. This Bronco is still on the original set of beams and is just now getting it's second set of radius arms.