KingPin equal length beams question !!

JeffS

Reaction
I have '78 Ford 3/4 ton camper special I-beams - (stock, rear-steer)

What hubs/spindles do I need to convert to front steer and 5 lug bolt pattern. Can I get these from a existing stock vehicle ? ( E-150? Year? )

Thanks

ps... Installing these on a '78 Blazer :)

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.RedRockOffroad.com>http://www.RedRockOffroad.com</A> - There is a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

SpareChangeRacng

Reaction
After looking for a while when I was considering this (have since gone on to J-arms instead) I found that most people just put the spindles on the opposite side to correct the rear steer problem. As far as hubs - now you are into some fun... I know John @ Autofab and Sandy Cone both make a kit, but they are more then I planned on spending. I was just going to measure the spindle and rotor (planned on using like a 95 F-150 rotor) to get the O.D. and I.D. and then go to Timken.com and look up the bearings to make it work. One tip though - I was looking for standard sizes and I have heard that there are MANY more metric sizes available. Get your measurements in metric and you should be able to find a Timken bearing to make the setup work. Good luck! Steve

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
Anyone have pics of "King Pins"? I have heard the term before but not sure what they are.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you are right.

IDRA_CRB

Reaction
Waldo,

You can't see an installed kingpin. It's simply what attaches the spindle to the axle in a standard "I" beam steering axle. Nowadays you'll only find them in trucks and buses.

Reese

BA_DirtDriver

Reaction
In most apps the kingpin is non exsistent nowadays. The angles it would theoretically make are where caster and camber come from. This angle is the centerline of the upper and lower ball joints. Original horse and buggy spindles were attached to tubes that pivoted on a yoke connected together by one main pin "the King Pin".

heavy8

Reaction
You need spindlels from an 1982 f150, they have the big one ton king pins, the 5 lug hubs, there front steer and there bomb proof. These spindles are hard to find and expensive unless you can get them at a Pick A Part type wrecking yard.
I looked in San Diego for them and never found any. Went to Vegas for the Weekend and had three sets to pick from at the first all truck wrecking yard I went to.
Remember 1982

PS I just checked your profile and noticed your from So NV
This is the place I got Them ...Las Vegas Truck Salvage 702-649-3111
1900 losee Road No. Las Vegas, Nv 89030
One Block west of i-15 at Lake Mead Blvd

Gabe Lara

Reaction
Kingpin Beams, custom front crossover steering, and fullsize F-150 hubs.
This is the Newline kit on my Ranger.

-Gabe

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
The spindles are from 1980 - 1981 1/2. These are the only years Ford made the 1" f-150 king pin spindles. The beams if I remember are from a 1968-71, 72, or 73 1 ton Van. The only way you can align a king pin front end is to heat and bend the beams. So when you are in search of these parts you really need to know what you are looking for. If you buy a used set of beams and they have had a few degrees of caster and camber put into them they are not any good. You can spend all kinds of time searching for these parts and still not come up with the right ones. It is very hard to find these parts also because there is not any big demand for them any more. So the salvage yards just trash them:( As for the spindles I think we have 6-10 sets of them.

This Ranger we built has these same parts.

JeffS

Reaction
Excellent info guys....
Question for Gabe, are your beams 1 ton or 3/4 ton beams and what spindle/hub was used??

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.RedRockOffroad.com>http://www.RedRockOffroad.com</A> - There is a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

heavy8

Reaction
I Just went threw the same thing with my chevy (weird), My fabricator recommended I get 73 1ton truck beams and 82 1/2 ton spindals. I was told that the 73 beams are the straightest beams so they give him a clean beam to bend. Other;s will work up to 77 but there not as staight. As jerry mentioned other years spindals 80-811/2 will work. The only reason ford went to the big king pins in the half ton
spindals was to make all the trucks king pins universal and it was only for a couple years. If camburg has some you might just try and hit them up for some because they can be really hard to find.

JeffS

Reaction
Jerry, It kinda sounds like you don't recommend this equal length beam setup. What would you choose as a setup in this case ??

Beams on a '78 Blazer,( currently 4x4 straight axle). Not enough money to go crazy with a-arms, but beams should be ok with coilovers and bump stops, maybe a bypass in the future ... We were considering a TTB, but the pumpkin's on the wrong side (doh), so we scratched the 4wd in favor of keeping it simple with i-beams.

Thanks

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
I think beams are a great way to go if you know how to set it up correctly. The way you are going with the king pins is also a great way to go. But just take your time to get all the angles correct. What I am getting at is don't just go to the salvage yard and pick up the first set of beams and spindles. Make sure you get good ones. Make sure they are the same left to right and have not been modified.
People always make it sound so easy " Just go buy king pin beams and put them on" It is just not that easy. I am just giving my 2 cents to help you out. If you have any questions feel free to call any time 714 848-8880.
People like Nester @ Newline have spent the time and know what it takes that is why it is $5000 for their front end kit.

SpareChangeRacng

Reaction
I believe Gabe's beams are 1-ton (F-350) and like 78 or so. That is what SI uses, so I assume Nestor does the same. If you look at gabe's beam you'll notice the way it kicks up at the end - these are the beams to get. Some of the beams (I think the earlier models) had the beam come straight down into the spindle and not kick up. The kick allows the spindle to sit higher, and hence the truck will sit lower. Also, the F-350's have the larger 1" kingpin and the BIG spindle. The only "problem" is finding a way to convert the 8 lug to the F-150 5 lug - but it can be done... Steve

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Machine a set of hubs or buy a set...no reason to nickel and dime when you are going that big

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late..."

SpareChangeRacng

Reaction
As far as I know Autofab's hubs are cast and Cone's are forged. Autofab's setup is $2000 for the complete front setup (rotors, calipers, hubs, etc.) and after hearing that I didn't even ask how much Con'es stuff was. It was a little out of my budget. I was planning on machining some 4140 chromo, but then realised I could get some SCP hubs that were 4140 for about as much (if not cheaper) as making my own. They (SCP) only offer GN lug patterns but I was just gonna re-drill um for the for 5x5.5. Then I was gonna use some 4wd bronco rotors - the ones that don't have the bearing retainers and stud (hub) built in. Steve

Gabe Lara

Reaction
Correct, Steve. They are the 1 ton beams, 78 and earlier.
Nestor basically has it down to a science, and that is one of the reasons I decided to go with the Newline kit.

-Gabe

Attached is a shot of the entire front end. The notches in the hood are from my old bumper, as we have yet to mount the new one.

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
Go with the TTB, just get a different T-Case. All Chevy A-arm 4X4s have the left hand drop T-Case that you need.