• Forum membership has its advantages....

kingpin I beams?

Flea

OK hears a question for all you ford buffs. I found these eight lug kingpin spindles that are super beefy and i need to have them because they have huge calipers with dual pistons. my question is that awhile ago i heard that you can convert these to five lug if you know the right part numbers for the rotors and also you need to have something machined but i dont recall what that was. so im gonna build these beams for kingpin spindles but i need to find a way to use these spindles instead of the other ones i have. So if there is anyone out there that has done this please tell me how and how much it cost you. any help is appreciated. thanx. if i cant do this im thinking maybe i will just go with eight lug rims on the front. if you have an opinion on this let me know...good or bad i am always open to others thoughts.

Rodney

Give Cone industries a call, if I remember correctly he machines the spindle and makes a hub assembly
that is 5 lug. They are @ (805) 239-2663. Let me know what you find out..I'm curious to see if this stuff is still available from him.

Winning IS everything

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Pat you might try talking to John or Wesley at Ajax Wrecking 760-398-0147(I think)....

Tony

Flea

if the beams are of the same year the spindles should fit. if you have the forged beams with the ball joints in the I beam then all the older spindles are interchangeable. i think they stopped making those beams in 1988, or maybe 89. i dunno but then they started making cast beams and if you have those then you cant put the older spindles on newer beams or vice versa.

rdc

I get that question all the time so here is the answer. Lets start with the large brakes. You will not be able to use the caliper set up because it is designed to fit inside of a 16.5" wheel. The spindle your talking about is a good choice and there is 2 ways I know to put a hub on it. It will take alot of searching but you must find the old 5 lug hub produced in Canada (has a casting stamp). I have found trucks that have it on one side but not the other. The reason for this is the large size of the spindle pin requires a much larger bearing and the standard rotor/hub is to thin after machining for the bigger bearing. The proper rotor/hub can be found by taking the inner seal or bearing that fits the big spindle and measure the O.D. You will know you have the proper hub/rotor when The location of where the bigger bearing and seal will be is at least 3/16" (on both sides) larger than the seal after machining. In other words this rotor is extremely thick where the bigger bearing will be fitted. The outer bearing can be purchased to fit without machining. The second way to do this is to buy a set of hubs from CNC in San Diego for about $550.00 ( a pair) then buy the matching bolt on rotor an calipers from whom ever.Sandy Cone use to make a hub/rotor assembly for that big spindle but I seem to remember the completed cost to be about $1,000.oo per side less caliper. That was through Auto- Fab I believe. Ihave raced several class 8 and class 1 trucks with the junk yard 5 lug hub on that spindle and never had a problem. You do have to cut off the big caliper ears to fit after market calipers for the 15" wheel. Good luck

Flea

hey classless, thanx for all the great info. before i do all this do you think i should consider finding some spindles off a truck or van that uses the smaller five lug spindle. obviously (after reading what you wrote) this would be a much cheaper way to go. will these hold up on a truck im just gonna use for playing around in the desert and not race? i really dont have the money to spend on all that stuff though it is something i will copy and paste onto notepad because i will probably do this in the future since i can always upgrade to those spindles later. i really appreciate your help. if you have some time i would like to hear your opinion on the other spindles

rdc

Most definitely. I kinda thought you would consider the 1/2 ton spindle because the other routet is quite time consuming and wrecking yards aren't what they were. A very fast or heavy RACE truck owner tends to do this more often obviously( 3/4 ton spindle ) but I have always gone the big spindle route because once you have broken a spindle at full speed you will do what ever it takes to not repeat it. I have had this happen to me 3 times. I will say that I have more serious off-road miles on the 1/2 ton spindle and if you crrack check it periodically it is amazing how long they last. By the way you might alredy be doing it but the early 80's spindles with front steer work great on the older I-beams, you will only need to make a small spacer to put on the King pin because the spindle king pin space is a bit taller than the older spindles. I don't recall if there is verying sizes of 1/2 to spindles so I always look at the heavy work trucks like a crew cab long bed or similar, you get the idea. Good luck

Flea

another question...have you ever seen anyone just run the eight lug spindles with eight lug rims? it seems like that would be an option to have a lot more strength and stay on the cheaper side even though you would have to get alll new rims and the tires for the bigger rims are more expensive too. But have you ever seen anyone do this? well if i did decide to go this way i would get the bigger rear end too. the rear end would probably be wider and stronger than my 8.8 rear end which would be a plus also. what is your opinion?

rdc

I think that you wouldn't like the comments that some would say about going that route. I don't think thats really what your after and for all the other work you'll have done on the truck you will probably had wished you didn't do it that way. OK what I'm really saying is please don't do that, it is BOGUS. I don't mean anything but your tricking out your ride and that method is not trick. Keep looking in the classifieds cause last month some guy was selling brand new hubs and axles cheap. (Dusty Times} Keep looking and I know you'll find what your looking for. Good luck

Flea

ok thanx for pointing me in the right direction, i really appreciate it. if i have any other questions along the way ill be sure to post. hasta!