• Forum membership has its advantages....

Kings shocks PSI

saifalqubaisi

hi,

I have a 2010 Silverado and done some shocks modification on and have using it for the past years and so. for some reason I feel something is missing and I am not utilizing the shocks to its maximum potential. so on the truck I have the following

Front:
1) king dual rate 2.5" remote reservoir current setup 250psi
2) 2" bump stop

Rear
1) king 3" reservoir with 3 tube current setup 350psi
2) Deaver 182 springs leaf

some vid links

some mods have been done since uploaded these movies. the bump stop was not functioning and now its working.

on the road its very bumpy and offload tends to be fine at high speed but at low speed I feel the shocks are hard and if I was driving over several humps at mid range speed the car tends to rebound a lot

please advice

Steve_Sourapas

That's quite a bit of pressure in my opinion to start with. For example in the Coors Light #88 we start with 150 PSI as it will build up pressure as the shocks heat up. I would call the boys at King to get more information for your specific application. That amount of PSI will cause lots of harshness especially in the slow stuff.

Rory

Crayola Killer
I'd agree, those pressures sound really high from what I'm use to. I think we started at 150 psi and went up in 25 psi increments when trying to fine tune. Then again, I'm not a shock tuning guy either.....

*TRD*

I'd put the front down to 150 and only increase it if you have a good reason.

I'd drop that rear to 150 psi, and being a bypass I can almost guarantee you'll never need to increase it.

Lowering pressure will really help with friction and small bump compliance.
The next step is to look at valving, flutter stack front and where you are in the bypass adjustment rear.

MCM MOTORSPORTS

I have always been told 150 psi by the boys in the factory. Its what we charged every shock we rebuilt for the finke desert race. Unless the reservoir is small. Then maybe 120. If gas pressure is to high, as the shock gets hot you get a harsher ride.

Mark Newhan

Those pressures are way too high. With excessive pressure you will see the shaft seal clamp down on the shaft, creating pressure, heat and friction. Also, the floater o-ring gets deformed and the same excessive friction.

I'd imaging that for this application your not seeing extreme shaft speeds like a race truck, but like others have said, the added pressure creates some air spring effect, which will make it harsh.

I'd think 150# would be sufficient and remember running the pressure too low will cause cavitation and that will have an adverse effect on the ride as well.

Mikey villareal

yea those numbers are high! like everyone else 150psi seems to be the most common and adding 25psi increments if needed