KOH already!

nimrod

KOOK!
RDC Crypto
Yep. That thing that brings these cars out.View attachment 235500View attachment 235501

I know 40 cars in one class in desert racing seems like a lot but that’s barely a third of the entries for the different rock race classes. This is like nothing you’ve ever seen before and it goes down like that every day for a week. It’s incredible what Dave has put together.

E.Hagle

RDC Crypto
I also would like to have this confirmed? I believe from listening a previous pod-cast Dave said we would be starting by our qualifying times, no matter the class. This is actually VITAL for us to know - no way would anyone want to race in any class but the one starting first if they seperated by class. It's all about getting to the rocks before the trail tampons, and if they don't start by qualifying times then having seperate class starts would be extremely unattractive to anyone but the first class leaving the line.
If you're racing the desert challenge side of things you don't have much to worry about.

jon coleman

in n out.double double w cheese
RDC Crypto
give every team one hour to do what ever to the car for qualification , adjust air, take off body panels/ spare tires, what ever, if you go over that hour your to the back<

Baja Bryan

RDC Crypto
It would be cool if Dave let us choose when we did what loop like the Ultra4 races. Would add another level of strategy. It will be a cluster F for desert guys as many could not even get their heads wrapped around the two loops as it was. LOL

Mike
Love the idea of a joker section or even two. Wish the mint had that because the dust was so bad. I guess corrected time would be a nightmare to track.

stephenrjking

RDC Crypto
Love the idea of a joker section or even two. Wish the mint had that because the dust was so bad. I guess corrected time would be a nightmare to track.
If everyone is required to take the same alternate lap, how would that affect corrected time? Everyone finishes the race covering identical distances. Tracking who is leading at any given moment would be difficult... but that seems like part of the fun to me.

J Prich

RDC Crypto
I know 40 cars in one class in desert racing seems like a lot but that’s barely a third of the entries for the different rock race classes. This is like nothing you’ve ever seen before and it goes down like that every day for a week. It’s incredible what Dave has put together.
I think this is one of the natural advantages the rock guys have...they have a national audience. For off road racing, we have a limited segment of the country in which the sport can even happen, meaning 3/4ths of the country cannot do it locally. But the rock guys can smash rocks all over. Sure the terrain is different in Oklahoma, Maryland, etc...but point being is Jeep and crawler guys can exist locally all over the country but desert racers are by and large confined to a small geographic area. This is one of the things that helps make KOH so cool IMO...they get to pull all those guys from everywhere to come tackle Hammers.

Dave Cole 4454

KING MAKER
RDC Crypto
I think this is one of the natural advantages the rock guys have...they have a national audience. For off road racing, we have a limited segment of the country in which the sport can even happen, meaning 3/4ths of the country cannot do it locally. But the rock guys can smash rocks all over. Sure the terrain is different in Oklahoma, Maryland, etc...but point being is Jeep and crawler guys can exist locally all over the country but desert racers are by and large confined to a small geographic area. This is one of the things that helps make KOH so cool IMO...they get to pull all those guys from everywhere to come tackle Hammers.
I agree...but there is dirt roads in Texas, Oklahoma, Wisconsin. North Dakota, Montana, Canada.

You just have to work harder. What you are taking for granted as existing everywhere, didnt exist anywhere 15 years ago.

Score should work with guys around the country. Grow the culture.

J Prich

RDC Crypto
I agree...but there is dirt roads in Texas, Oklahoma, Wisconsin. North Dakota, Montana, Canada.

You just have to work harder. What you are taking for granted as existing everywhere, didnt exist anywhere 15 years ago.

Score should work with guys around the country. Grow the culture.
Yeah get it. And I didn't mean to sound disrespectful to what has been built in KOH, just making the case that I can drive through middle Georgia and find dudes that have at least a rudimentary understanding of Jeep stuff, rock crawlers, etc...but far less of an understanding of what a "whoop" or a g out is. You know how it goes, try talking to anyone outside of NV/AZ/CA about setting up their leaf sprung rigs leaf under instead of leaf over, lol.

Agreed about growing the culture, but again point being you can run a KOH style race in all kinds of terrain but we can't run a real desert race in Kansas.

stephenrjking

RDC Crypto
Yeah get it. And I didn't mean to sound disrespectful to what has been built in KOH, just making the case that I can drive through middle Georgia and find dudes that have at least a rudimentary understanding of Jeep stuff, rock crawlers, etc...but far less of an understanding of what a "whoop" or a g out is. You know how it goes, try talking to anyone outside of NV/AZ/CA about setting up their leaf sprung rigs leaf under instead of leaf over, lol.

Agreed about growing the culture, but again point being you can run a KOH style race in all kinds of terrain but we can't run a real desert race in Kansas.
Desert-specific isn't available all over the country, but off-road driving certainly is. I may not be able to find desert silt in Northern Minnesota, but rough trails that need lots of shock travel? Yeah, we've got that.

I don't think it's accurate to think that what is considered desert racing, because it happens in deserts, is a narrowly-defined discipline that is opaque to other regions. Because when I watch desert racing, what I see is guys going off road really fast, and that's something that people can appreciate anywhere in the world.

J Prich

RDC Crypto
Desert-specific isn't available all over the country, but off-road driving certainly is. I may not be able to find desert silt in Northern Minnesota, but rough trails that need lots of shock travel? Yeah, we've got that.

I don't think it's accurate to think that what is considered desert racing, because it happens in deserts, is a narrowly-defined discipline that is opaque to other regions. Because when I watch desert racing, what I see is guys going off road really fast, and that's something that people can appreciate anywhere in the world.
Yeah I'm not trying to argue or debate here. The nature of the internet dictates that the things people say have to get knit picked and twisted to foster counter arguments. I did not imply that there isn't off road driving all over the country. I've been fortunate to travel all over the country and 40+ countries. I'm telling you right now that if I park a Trophy Truck and a KOH rig in a parking lot at Home Depot in the middle of Georgia, or in Kansas, or in Minnesota...the rock krawler will be infinitely more recognizable and understandable to locals. Because in all of those places you might not find many full kill rock crawler rigs, but you'll find locals who run their jeeps around, etc. But that is apples to oranges from what desert racing is all about. It's a niche sport, period.

What I said was not a knock on KOH, it was actually a compliment. And a simple recognition that being able to hold events all over the country helps people connect to it far better than a sport that essentially only happens in 1/8th of the country.

Dave Cole 4454

KING MAKER
RDC Crypto
Im with you 100% JPrich. Not remotely taking it as a knock. All im saying is the only reason I dont do a desert race in Oklahoma or Texas is that socal racers wont travel. They dont travel for U4 and they wont travel for Desert Racing. I could make a 250 mile point to point race 2 hours from Dallas...for 17 trucks.

dan200

wholesome chickens
RDC Crypto
I'll say this about comparing the two-

I was all about trophy trucks and thought the rock donkeys were nowhere near as cool. I called them slow.

Then I went to KOH just to drop off parts for some dudes out there and hung out and watched one of the winner take all nighttime "shoot out" events.

Crawlers, Bouncers, even a 2wd motorcycle.

Spectators everywhere, drinking not 8 dollar beers from a vendor but cold ones from their own coolers.

Campfires right on the ground.

Lighting.

Jumbotron.

A working timing clock.

A announcer who knew what he was talking about.

Big Money Prize.

It was gladiator stuff. Intense. Crazy equipment vs crazy terrain.

And I didn't need a badge or a wristband.

That was the day Dave Cole messed up my life as an offroad fan, pit crew dude, industry guy, and vendor.

I was all in for Ultra 4 after that night and I have logged the miles to prove it..

I don't wanna hate on the Mint but after spending THOUSANDS to vend I was supposed to pay for the ability to buy a beer at start finish.

Nobody is gonna be able to hang with what Ultra 4 gives ya. The event is a big ol' freedom festival with gnarly Jeeps and rednecks and millionaires and rock stars. And if ya pay for your entry into "Hammertown" your "IN". There's no upcharge for a VIP tent. You can hang with Shannon Campbell at the fire pit at no additional charge. Ya get to be front row while Sublime plays. Your pit/camp aren't temporary. There are barely any fences and ya don't need 5 wristbands to buy a t-shirt from King or Fox. This is why there are tens of thousands of people there.

(Besides Dakar and Crandon) I've been to just about every off road event worth going to and NOTHING holds a candle to what Dave has. NO THING. NONE.

Comparing KOH to anything is silly. It is the greatest off road event in the world. Anyone who doesn't think so is wrong.

Last edited:

LAZY-H

Large Member
RDC Crypto
I'll say this about comparing the two-

I was all about trophy trucks and thought the rock donkeys were nowhere near as cool. I called them slow.

Then I went to KOH just to drop off parts for some dudes out there and hung out and watched one of the winner take all nighttime "shoot out" events.

Crawlers, Bouncers, even a 2wd motorcycle.

Spectators everywhere, drinking not 8 dollar beers from a vendor but cold ones from their own coolers.

Campfires right on the ground.

Lighting.

Jumbotron.

A working timing clock.

A announcer who knew what he was talking about.

Big Money Prize.

It was gladiator stuff. Intense. Crazy equipment vs crazy terrain.

And I didn't need a badge or a wristband.

That was the day Dave Cole messed up my life as an offroad fan, pit crew dude, industry guy, and vendor.

I was all in for Ultra 4 after that night and I have logged the miles to prove it..

I don't wanna hate on the Mint but after spending THOUSANDS to vend I was supposed to pay for the ability to buy a beer at start finish.

Nobody is gonna be able to hang with what Ultra 4 gives ya. The event is a big ol' freedom festival with gnarly Jeeps and rednecks and millionaires and rock stars. And if ya pay for your entry into "Hammertown" your "IN". There's no upcharge for a VIP tent. You can hang with Shannon Campbell at the fire pit at no additional charge. Ya get to be front row while Sublime plays. Your pit/camp aren't temporary. There are barely any fences and ya don't need 5 wristbands to buy a t-shirt from King or Fox. This is why there are tens of thousands of people there.

(Besides Dakar and Crandon) I've been to just about every off road event worth going to and NOTHING holds a candle to what Dave has. NO THING. NONE.

Comparing KOH to anything is silly. It id the greatest off road event in the world.
97E8B7D4-4113-4396-A712-FEA9FD253DFE.gif

J Prich

RDC Crypto
To frame my comment a different way, I'm exited about KOH and hope I can find an excuse to make it out there this year!

dan200

wholesome chickens
RDC Crypto
To frame my comment a different way, I'm exited about KOH and hope I can find an excuse to make it out there this year!

I didn’t give you enough reasons?

JDDurfey

RDC Crypto
Im with you 100% JPrich. Not remotely taking it as a knock. All im saying is the only reason I dont do a desert race in Oklahoma or Texas is that socal racers wont travel. They dont travel for U4 and they wont travel for Desert Racing. I could make a 250 mile point to point race 2 hours from Dallas...for 17 trucks.
There are a lot of wide open spaces in Texas, but it is on private land and land owners want to get paid. I have no idea what it costs to put on a race and pay landowners enough to get them to agree to letting a bunch of people rip up and down their ranch roads.

I live 2 hours from Dallas, and I know several ranches in my area that could hold a "desert" race. But I don't think the ranchers in my area would be too keen to it.