KOH is killing it again!!!!

sirhk100

Once again and year after year KOH is showing how desert racing coverage should be! Friggen picture in picture showing the rock sections while on a small inset view simultaneously showing the starting line as racers are taking off! I hope someone is taking some notes!

sirhk100

Seriously... Live chopper footage with picture in picture of the canyons also! Crap, next year we'll be able to pick what cameras we want to watch at the rate they're going!

This is like legit George Anthill next level type stuff! LOL

JaysinDesignz

KOH is setting to tone for how racing should be covered. This year is insane coverage & they way the average joe will stand watching what we love.They are doing this live & its great. BITD race coverage should take note on this format of a loop race.

Dont get me wrong I enjoy to MAVtv races but as a racer they dont seem like I'm watching a race.

johnnyweb

Agreed, If it can be done in Johnson Valley it can be done in any desert.

f1sleepy

I'm not sure this kind of coverage is viable in Baja. There is a significant difference in communications infrastructure between even remote areas of the U.S. and Baja, not to mention political policy. It certainly shows us what is possible stateside though.

Jack

Maybe BAJA would have sepporate issues, but all BITD races could be covered this way.

JaysinDesignz

This can be done in Baja don't let others tell you different. Its done by the ASP covering professional surfing all over the world with the same type of feed in really remote areas like Fiji. I have been cramming this down the throats of everyone in desert racing media for years. I worked with ASP in the early years marketing & planning web coverage. I have even personally offered my knowledge & contacts to others in desert racing media with no movement forward only bagging, ragging & banning.

I'm just glad to see it finally done & stoked on it. Can't wait for Roger & SCORE to follow up.. Hopefully BITD will start this with loop races.

johnnyweb

Obviously the loop races would be easier. Hope to see it soon my family and friends would love to watch as we are out on the race course.

J Prich

This is at least the second year, maybe third year in a row now KOH's outstanding coverage has been discussed. At this point it's not a fluke, what they've done with their media is incredible and should be the model for desert racing coverage as far as I'm concerned.

racer_dude

Back2Back TL Champ!
Keep in mind that KOH is once a year. The rest of the Ultra4 series does not see this type of coverage. Dave has this production planned for 11 months specifically for this event. He is on the lakebed for a month before, and sometimes up to still there 2 months later.

Yes it can be done, but $$$$$ dictates how well.

The Martelli group probably have the best chance at making this happen during the Mint, but they are more set on a post production type event. Where they can add drama into it for the average viewer.

steve0we

if Casey had 60K spectators and all those sponsor dollars we might have better video. KOH has more people in the porta-potty lines than Parker had all day!

facteryfmf

Sponsors have to seriously be liking the coverage and plugs they are getting at koh.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

facteryfmf

It's also amazing that viewing is good and simple enough to be seen on cell phones and mobile devices

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

J Prich

Have said it before many times, every time someone replies to a race coverage complaint thread alluding to people just being happy to get anything for free.....but I would pay a fair fee to watch race coverage and to be honest I don't think I'm alone.

Each year the number of people clamouring on the internet for race updates, etc seems to grow. I can't validate that with hit counts, views, etc, just what I think I've seen, but I honestly think there is a market for the kind of coverage that allows friends, family, fans, etc to be able to tune in and get at least remotely real time updates of what's happening on the race course.

johnnyweb

if Casey had 60K spectators and all those sponsor dollars we might have better video. KOH has more people in the porta-potty lines than Parker had all day!
Where did the 60K come from? I thought it was $20 per camper not per person? There was a lot of spectators out on course that you never see in the main pit or contingency (no where near KOH) however you would never know it because they are not condensed on the lake bed. There was hundereds of campers on Shea rd but you would not know it driving around town. If there were no hotels like KOH the main pit area would be 10 times the size.

I am all for the live feed stuff. However as a racer a lot of time large amounts of spectators just bring problems. Sorry

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Where did the 60K come from? I thought it was $20 per camper not per person?

Spectating: We are asking for a $20 donation per spectator. Hammertown promises to be bigger and better than ever in 2014. All racing action will begin and end in Hammertown. There will be two live jumbotrons. Vendors open during the day and one food vendor open 24 hours a day. There are port a potties in Hammertown. To fully appreciate everything that King of The Hammers has to offer, spectators should purchase a $20 writst band for access to hammer town. This cost is a donation, and if spectators simply wish to come out and watch the race, they are not required to pay. However, this money goes towards keeping Johnson Valley open to the public and the cost of putting on the event.
Johnson Valley OHV area is open to everyone. The race course and within 150 feet of the race course is closed to the public on race days. The spectator areas are set up to give spectators a chance to see the race at a safe distance from the action. Many of these spectator areas are the same as in prior years where people have enjoyed watching the race. The donation goes towards the cost of BLM, medical personnel, security, electricity and port a johns, and 10% of those costs go towards keeping Johnson Valley open.