KOH is killing it again!!!!

PAB

40's rock!
Dave is all in for sure

KOH is going for it and the Hammertown crowd is stoked and the numbers of people watching is really impressive. The production has a live TV type switching producing truck and a solid jumbo tron streaming the coverage also

the Parker 2 day and regular Parker as well as PC and mint could pretty easily be done this way.

Also not a coincidence that the main race is Friday when people are on their work computers

9 hours is a long time to talk.... Chads no puss

Pacololo

Pab,
You guys did a great Job on the mic all day.
They picked the right guys for the job.

JaysinDesignz

Well PAB you can attest to it being able to be done. You know how the ASP does surf contest all over the world int he most remote places with unreal quality on the internet. This same can be done as KOH has proven. Hope you can help fuel the fire for desert racing to follow Dave's lead..

BTW-Great job out there today even admitting to never knowing what was really out in Johnson Valley all this time. LOL

InDaShop

Dave is all in for sure

KOH is going for it and the Hammertown crowd is stoked and the numbers of people watching is really impressive. The production has a live TV type switching producing truck and a solid jumbo tron streaming the coverage also

the Parker 2 day and regular Parker as well as PC and mint could pretty easily be done this way.

Also not a coincidence that the main race is Friday when people are on their work computers

Good thing Miles is carrying a majority of the load then.

We watched coverage all day while cruising back to Texas on I-10. Thats legit!!!
Glad and sad at the same time to have left Hammertown before the Ultra race. But after two weeks for Parker and KOH I was ready to be home.

pwerwagn

Dave is all in for sure

You guys did a great job. :)

OFFRD-JNKIE

If Casey had 20 bucks each like KOH gets, imagine the coverage that could be obtained......
No $20 charge this year.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Johnson Valley is a small compact area, which made this possible. The more remote parts of the course were not covered. As PAB said, this could be done at Primm, Parker BWDC, and some similar race locations.

KOH is a great event, we had a really good time there yesterday as we have every year and we never saw any of the coverage - not available anywhere in Johnson Valley that I wanted to be.

If it made economic sense - someone would be doing it in desert racing. SCORE did at Laughlin every year.

JaysinDesignz

Um Ramsay there was a HUGE Jumbotron in Hammertown with tons of people in lawn chairs watching it. Like there has been for the last 3yrs. :eek:
And there was coverage out in the remote areas this year by helicopter replay footage ALL DAY & week.

I know that, did you miss this "not available anywhere in Johnson Valley that I wanted to be."? I don't want to sit in a dust bowl and watch TV in the overcrowded areas where Jumbotrons were. I was out on the course in great locations watching some awesome racing with no cell coverage so I couldn't get any feed.

B. Everett

Koh was awesome as always. I like how they get the blm permit for the week. The other race orgs could learn from this. Emc is the day before the big unlimited race. I like that they take the time and spread it out over the week. Instead of cramming a desert race in one day and limiting the laps because of permit limitations.

PAB

40's rock!
The multiple day permit for racing and such blows the excuses made by promoters who say there can't be an organized pre run day or lap

JaysinDesignz

To many people open their mouth with CAN'T to fast & WAY to many others follow like cows. It can happen & its happening everywhere else in other sports.

BajaFand

The multiple day permit for racing and such blows the excuses made by promoters who say there can't be an organized pre run day or lap
Agreed 100%. However even though it is federal land and BLM is a federal agency the states of CA/AZ/NV seem have different rules from eachother, which I'll never understand. CA has always allowed open prerunning, chasing, and spectating to this day, even after the CA200 things changed but it still didn't turn into NV where there is no chasing, virtually no prerunning anymore, and designated spectator areas. AZ is pretty much the same as NV when it comes to those things but NV still seems to be the most strict. NV doesn't allow racing from April to September because of the desert tortoise whereas CA allows racing year round. CA doesn't make the promoter blade the course before and after each race either.

I will also never understand why a race can't cross state lines if it is BLM land being raced on in both of those states.

clyde6196

I was at koh on Thursday. What a fun event. These guys know how to put on an event. What I found interesting was the lack of 200 blm , sheriff , etc looking to give tickets for anything possible. Every other desert race I've attended it seemed like cops were swarming the place. On Thursday, I literally saw one blm truck. I wonder why blm and sheriffs seem to let them do as they please.

And for us, it was $20 to enter the gated area and an additional $30 for pit bands to be in the remote pits, of which we were never checked and I felt like a sucker for paying the extra $30. So the 2 of us in my truck paid $100. Kinda pricey. Not complaining, I think it was a great event.

JaysinDesignz

I think the pit band was more for the main pit & tent area. Where you have food vendors & the party at night.

BeyondInsanity

You guys overpaid. It was 20 dollars for access to everything but the remote pit. If you were involved with a team and wanted to be in the remote pit you were supposed to have the 25 dollar pit band. If you had the 25 dollar band you didn't also need the 20 dollar band. If you had already paid the 20 you could upgrade for 5 and they would switch out your bands. Nobody ever checks out at remote pit but if you are actually pitting for someone you could get them disqualified if you don't get the band.
Great week for sure. The coverage was pretty good. I had family and friends calling all weekend saying they saw my interviews, qualifying run, as well as a lot of people watching me compete in the backdoor challenge. I would love to have that kind of coverage at the BITD races.

BajaDale

I think desert racing has more million dollar teams racing in it than KOH? Why don't some of the big dollar teams maybe step up to the plate and pitch in for some sweet desert racing coverage? lol!:)

baja619

I was at koh on Thursday. What a fun event. These guys know how to put on an event. What I found interesting was the lack of 200 blm , sheriff , etc looking to give tickets for anything possible. Every other desert race I've attended it seemed like cops were swarming the place. On Thursday, I literally saw one blm truck. I wonder why blm and sheriffs seem to let them do as they please.

KOH Event organizers employ security staff which was likely designed for crowd control and what not.
At a desert race the law enforcement is playing that role.... SO it becomes a pain in the arse, for us and them, and also an opportunity to generate revenue.

baja619

I think desert racing has more million dollar teams racing in it than KOH? Why don't some of the big dollar teams maybe step up to the plate and pitch in for some sweet desert racing coverage? lol!:)

TIME, EFFORT, ENERGY, ORGANIZATION, DEDICATED MAN POWER......

Those principles of million dollars race teams have that kind of capital for a reason. "If if dont make dollars, it dont make sense."

At this point in time, the off road desert racing format does not appeal to the masses, so there is no need for a major sponsor to fund the coverage. The race team owners are not making any type of return from their "hobby" so why would they sink more money to invest in some media coverage so that someone who is already likely watching / caring will have a more better coverage to enjoy.

They race for their pleasure, not your enjoyment.

Same goes for the event and series sponsors. Simply put the customer base is already a fan / potential customer. To step up the level of coverage requires a bigger interest from an outside audience.