KOH newb

Charlietuna

Reaction
Going to KOH for the first time in February and while I know where JV is, I was wondering if anybody had a Google Earth-type overview of the area, specifically where things are set up (pits, boundaries, hot spectator spots, etc). I know, I should just show up and look around, but wanted to take some of the crapshoot aspect out of it, if possible. Thanks in advance...

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
you pull of the highway and go a few miles and you come to this.

then you check in with those guys. I forget what the fee (donation is).

then you keep driving and you will see camping going on EVERYWHERE. (PRO TIP- pick a spot not right next to that road because it is havily traqveled and dusty. Your not gonna escape dust but a few hundred yards away from the main road is way nicer.)

If you keep going down the road you will arrive at "Hammertown"

It is fenced in and you can tell by the obvious boundaries in that pic. I believe it requires a wristband (available at the gate you drove through earlier). You will have to park outside there. No vehicles are allowed in there. Its crowded. If you wanna watch the race from hammetrtown on race day, bring chairs and get there early. the whole place is dog friendly and there are trash cans and recycle bins everywhere. Bring poop bags though.

FOOD- The food is awesome but expect to pay football game stadium prices. last year you could pay like 40 bucks for an all day food deal Breakfast lunch and dinner. (pro tip- Try the deep fried oreos)

Hammertown has few areas-
Race team pits (the whole upper square)
vendor area/food places (everything above the big white tent below the racer pits)
vendor/vip camping/RV area (everything below the big white tent)

Everywhere else is camping area basically.
there is a giant fire pit and jumbotron in the center of town. There is also one at "backdoor" and another at "chocolate thunder'. Any UTV or decent 4wd will get you to those places and they are only 15 min drive in the dark from Hammertown.

Backdoor is off to the top left of that pic.
chocolate thunder is at the top right.

Those are the "hot spots" and a little day time exploring will be helpful. They are easy to find.

I (SDHQ) have an elaborate set up in the vendor area. I invite all my RDC peeps to stop buy for a free beer or water. I even have a freshwater "doggie bowl" for your pups. I should have a map of the course and the vendor area on display and an event schedule. And, I throw a decent and free BBQ/Party also. I meet a lot of newbs out there and do my best to be a good liaison to/for KOH. If I can't help you, I usually know who can. You can get your motorhomes black water drained and the freshwater filled for about $110. There is a fuel station about 15 miles from hammers and maybe 20 minutes further and you have wallmart and fast food etc. Ice is available in Hammertown but its not as chaep as it is in town.

The wrist bands- People bitcch about paying because its America and its public land. They have a point. You geta lot withthe band though. Like access to all the pits, food vendors, and "PORT A POTTYS".

Its basically all open desert so on race days(s) you can get basically anywhere but the three places i mentioned are the best and easiest. They will be crowded though. BLM is out and about but they are always pretty cool. As long as you arent being a drunk a-hole or blatantly acting unsafe, they will usually leave you alone. Please self police yourself and you will be fine.

FUN FACT- 2018 KOH there was a beer shortage. Myself and the 50k ish others ran every store within 35 miles completely out of coors light by Wednesday.

Last edited:

Charlietuna

Reaction

then you keep driving and you will see camping going on EVERYWHERE. (PRO TIP- pick a spot not right next to that road because it is havily traqveled and dusty. Your not gonna escape dust but a few hundred yards away from the main road is way nicer.)

It is fenced in and you can tell by the obvious boundaries in that pic. I believe it requires a wristband (available at the gate you drove through earlier). You will have to park outside there. No vehicles are allowed in there. Its crowded. If you wanna watch the race from hammetrtown on race day, bring chairs and get there early. the whole place is dog friendly and there are trash cans and recycle bins everywhere. Bring poop bags though.

FOOD- The food is awesome but expect to pay football game stadium prices. last year you could pay like 40 bucks for an all day food deal Breakfast lunch and dinner. (pro tip- Try the deep fried oreos)

vendor area/food places (everything above the big white tent below the racer pits)

there is a giant fire pit and jumbotron in the center of town. There is also one at "backdoor" and another at "chocolate thunder'. Any UTV or decent 4wd will get you to those places and they are only 15 min drive in the dark from Hammertown.

Those are the "hot spots" and a little day time exploring will be helpful. They are easy to find.

I (SDHQ) have an elaborate set up in the vendor area. I invite all my RDC peeps to stop buy for a free beer or water. I even have a freshwater "doggie bowl" for your pups. I should have a map of the course and the vendor area on display and an event schedule. And, I throw a decent and free BBQ/Party also. I meet a lot of newbs out there and do my best to be a good liaison to/for KOH. If I can't help you, I usually know who can.

dan200. Very, very cool...thank you so much. I will make it point to stop by your spot.

Charlietuna

Reaction
No Problem. FWIW The day after the race it takes 3 hours to go the three miles from Hammertown to the highway.

Yeah, been checking out the youtube vids and I can tell it's pretty crazy. I think we're going to get there early in the week and check out the preliminary stuff and probably slide out before it gets too crazy. But that's still up in the air. Thank you again. The info you provided is exactly what I was looking for.

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
Yeah, been checking out the youtube vids and I can tell it's pretty crazy. I think we're going to get there early in the week and check out the preliminary stuff and probably slide out before it gets too crazy. But that's still up in the air. Thank you again. The info you provided is exactly what I was looking for.
Happy to help. Ya dont have to slide out early, just wait til the next day or later that night. Missing the ultra 4 big race might be regrettable IMO.

So ya know, there is a thing- "Backdoor challenge". King Shocks sponsors it. Its like $10k winner take all single obstacle race. If I recall correctly, its on Monday night. And it is EPIC. Dudes in all kinda different rockcrawlers bashing their way up a dried up waterfall. Ive seen guys rent a race car for this, break it literally in half, and then keep trying with just front tires to make it. its a spectacle. There's even a guy with a 2 wheel drive dirt bike who falls all over the rocks trying.

b_bones

Reaction
Yea definitely would like to meet up with you guys down there! I went last year and the dust storms kinda made it a little limited to what you could do, but a ton a fun especially non the less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwistyItch

ADVERTISER
Reaction
Dan thank you! This is very helpful. Going for the first time and hope to have about 10 of us. Getting inside the fence for food, etc - many openings for that and easy to do? Can we drive our dirt bikes or UTVs into the fenced area to get food, etc? How far from this pop-up city is the race action?

I look forward to stopping in and saying hello.

b_bones

Reaction
Dan thank you! This is very helpful. Going for the first time and hope to have about 10 of us. Getting inside the fence for food, etc - many openings for that and easy to do? Can we drive our dirt bikes or UTVs into the fenced area to get food, etc? How far from this pop-up city is the race action?

I look forward to stopping in and saying hello.

Only about 2-3 spectator entrances, and no motor vehicles except koh staff, emergency staff, racers....etc. Hammer city is the starting line and finish line. But race action is on the big screen there, or at all the obstacles, but the race stretches all over the valley.

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
Yep, what he said. ^^^

You can't get a vehicle into the city. They are pretty strict about it for safety reasons. It gets crowded in there.

You can park just outside the gate though and walk in if you have a wristband. The wristband is totally worth it if only for the access to startline/finish line, podium, live announcers at the giant jumbo tron, the bonfire, all the parties, the porta pottys and the food places. Plus the Ice guy and all the vendors. There's a lot of cool stuff in there.

On a bike, quad, utv or in a 4wd or maybe even a 2wd you can get to all the obstacle I mentioned in 15 minutes or less. They are not hard to find. There's tons of trails and thousands of people who can point the way for you. Have fun exploring.

Last edited:

baja_racer

Reaction
Great advice........go....have a blast........it's a ton of fun!!!

AZBadseed

Reaction
I’m going for the 1st time this year with a few people. Bringing the RV wondering what to tow out? Stock rubicon JKU or rzr4? Parking outside hammertown for a few hours to check it all out. I’m a bit hesitant about slimeballs out there, might rather have a locking truck than a rzr with a bunch of fun parts on it. I’d rather have a good time than a bad story. Hopefully I’m just worrying too much. Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

b_bones

Reaction
I’m going for the 1st time this year with a few people. Bringing the RV wondering what to tow out? Stock rubicon JKU or rzr4? Parking outside hammertown for a few hours to check it all out. I’m a bit hesitant about slimeballs out there, might rather have a locking truck than a rzr with a bunch of fun parts on it. I’d rather have a good time than a bad story. Hopefully I’m just worrying too much. Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

I would say a little worried there are tons of rock crawlers with no doors and sxs, I’m sure you’re rzr has a key which would be fine but if you wanted to put a kill switch on it just for peace of mind.

Josh40601

Reaction

I (SDHQ) have an elaborate set up in the vendor area. I invite all my RDC peeps to stop buy for a free beer or water. I even have a freshwater "doggie bowl" for your pups. I should have a map of the course and the vendor area on display and an event schedule. And, I throw a decent and free BBQ/Party also. I meet a lot of newbs out there and do my best to be a good liaison to/for KOH. If I can't help you, I usually know who can. You can get your motorhomes black water drained and the freshwater filled for about $110. There is a fuel station about 15 miles from hammers and maybe 20 minutes further and you have wallmart and fast food etc. Ice is available in Hammertown but its not as chaep as it is in town.

The wrist bands- People bitcch about paying because its America and its public land. They have a point. You geta lot withthe band though. Like access to all the pits, food vendors, and "PORT A POTTYS".

Its basically all open desert so on race days(s) you can get basically anywhere but the three places i mentioned are the best and easiest. They will be crowded though. BLM is out and about but they are always pretty cool. As long as you arent being a drunk a-hole or blatantly acting unsafe, they will usually leave you alone. Please self police yourself and you will be fine.

FUN FACT- 2018 KOH there was a beer shortage. Myself and the 50k ish others ran every store within 35 miles completely out of coors light by Wednesday.

Thanks Dan, I'll swing by for sure to say hi and take you up on that coldy ;)

Just a couple updates on this, it isn't a donation anymore. Tent camping and registration is 20.00 bucks. If you're bringing a camper of any type, its an additional 25.00. While I'd say a significant amount goes to pay for the event, the "Profit" goes to pay for all the other events. haha You can purchase your tickets here: ULTRA4License

As for the SxS vs Rubicon, I'd probably bring the SxS as they have a better ability to get around the traffic. If it is not a registered vehicle with a plate, it will need an off highway sticker, even if it is out of state. They sell them there at the big entrance for like 40 bucks. You won't be able to miss Back door or Chocolate Thunder, as people setup canopies and there will be hundreds of spectators. Other places to view are Sledgehammer and Jackhammer. People stealing things happens out there, but very rare. The biggest problem is trash. People leave their trash everywhere. Its disgusting, so if you see some trash, pick it up and throw it in a bag. I'd be more worried about getting pulled over. You'll see the douchebags, don't be one of those. Have fun, be safe, be semi-responsible.

Hammertown is blocked off to vehicles as they mentioned above. you can't miss where to park as there will be hundreds of vehicles coming and going all day and night. The race course is closed during the day, but opens up at night, so there are parties that go until about 2 am at all the big spectator areas like backdoor and Chocolate Thunder. Like i said, you wont be able to miss them. The parking areas for those spots are accessible in a car (I took a ford focus up to the bottom of chocolate thunder and back door). Honestly though, the best spot to watch the race is right in front of the big jumbotron. They have such good equipment now, its amazing. And youre at the food, vendors, and bathrooms. I always leave my folding chair right there at the jumbotron. Someone may sit in it or fold it up if you're gone forever, but no one steals them. At least they haven't stolen mine yet. This will be my 4th year attending as a spectator.

Dust is EVERYWHERE. I highly recommend bringing a sleeve or something to help with breathing in the dust, a good jacket for the evenings, and a hat. You will see there are plenty of areas to park your trailer, and they even have a poop sucker truck that will run around for a fee and also refill your water tanks. Cell service does not exist in 95% of the area, so if you plan on meeting up with people, find a different way to communicate outside of cell phones. HAM radios work great, the little hand helds kinda suck. CB's are good too for the majority of hammertown. There is 1 bush out by chocolate thunder you can get cell service at to call your loved ones. You'll see it, it's literally like the only bush on the entire lakebed.

Last note, the wheeling is pretty non-existent the whole week of race week. This is why I recommend the SxS. the only rock crawling trail that is open is Turkey Claw, or at least that was the only one last year. We will see this year. The SxS's can get around and even get out to the remote areas like Outer Limits and Spooners where as it would take FOREVER to get there in a jeep or rock crawler like my pile of poop. Ok, one more note... Buy food and beer before you leave. I usually arrive on Wednesday, and Yucca Valley is pretty much sold out of everything. Dan said they ran out of beer last year, they also ran out of ice and many of the grocery stores were slim-pickins.

Charlietuna

Reaction
Are there any "sights" beyond the race activities to see in the area, in case we want to go cruising around one of the days? Old mining sites, cabins, sights to see?

I know, it's all about KOH, but I still want to put some dirt miles on the Jeep while I'm there.

Josh40601

Reaction
Are there any "sights" beyond the race activities to see in the area, in case we want to go cruising around one of the days? Old mining sites, cabins, sights to see?

I know, it's all about KOH, but I still want to put some dirt miles on the Jeep while I'm there.

I'm not too familiar with anything outside of the event itself. You can go to some of the obstacles away from Hammer Town like Spooners or Outer Limits. There would be a lot less spectators way out there, and it would definitely allow you to put some dirt miles in. Maybe someone else can chime in if there are any destinations out there beyond what I mentioned

LAZY-H

Large Member
Reaction

I’m no local but check out (google) Giant Rock and Lester Dale Mine. Both are accessible and have some history.
Anyone else have some cool spots to check out ?!

JMerc

Reaction
Hello everyone! This will be my first time with RV to KOH. Anyone know or recommend an RV Parks or campground close to the event. Planning on towing Jeep out and driving to event during the day. Thanks in advance