Kreg, Paige, Bob & others in Road & Track

toddz

Reaction
The April issue of Road and Track arrived today and on page 156 begins an article on the Groff Motorsports car in last year's 1000. Mentioned frequently are Kreg Donahoe, Paige Donahoe, and Bob Bower. Always interesting reading the Baja articles in the pavement pounder magazines.

Todd Z.

Donahoe

Reaction
thats groovy...

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

Donahoe

Reaction
Was the artical writtin By Dan Neal?

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

MrBaja

Reaction
Let me clarify this a little.

There is an article in Car and Driver about our Groff Motorsports team at the Baja 1000. We were also involved in placing the article in this month's Road & Track about Bruce Meyers and the Meyer's Manxter and another article in Motor Trend on the Wide Open/Yokohama Geolandar Ultimate Baja Challenge.

A good month for off-road racing in the mainstream media. Those magazine's alone reach nearly 3 million subscribers.

Best,

Marty Fiolka
The Rennsport Group

toddz

Reaction
Oops-yes, you are right, Marty. I meant Car and Driver! I also saw the article in Motor Trend yesterday. What's the latest on your Baja 1000 book?

Todd Z.

MrBaja

Reaction
Hi all,

Thanks for the interest in 1000 Miles to Glory. While a formal announcement about the final book, its size, format and availability date will be coming within the next 2-3 weeks, I can say that with all the stars in alignment it will be available by this year's 1000.

Appreciate the interest in the Car and Driver story. I just got it last night. If anyone thinks that getting media to come a race and write a positive story is easy -- even with a program like ours and with Jimmy Vasser -- you might want to read it and think again. Dan's story is very entertaining, well written and there are great photographs, but you don't get the sense he enjoyed it at all. In fact, he did very much, and is trying to come back to the race again this year as a driver. For what I understand, the editors thought it best to leave that part out...

In contrast, the Motor Trend piece with Wide Open Baja just rocks and Chris Walton's story is nearly perfect in putting our sport in the right light. The Road & Track piece is well done, but shortened due to poor Bruce Meyer's having his mild 1776 expire because of running too lean.

Marty Fiolka
The Rennsport Group

Donahoe

Reaction
Marty,
I just have to say from my Experience with The Groff Motorsports Baja1000 Team You Did an Incredible Job. At the Time I thought you were NUTS. For those of you reading this post wondering what I am talking about. Marty Almost Single handedly got all the press In most of the MAJOR non-dirt Automotive Mags For the Baja 1000. Bruce Myers, Wide open Baja, And Groff Motorsports all have a Media Crew following them. Writers, 2 different Film crews shooting Documenters, And Marty also had to sleep enough to drive the last leg in the Groff Toyota/Jimco. .Marty arranged it all, pulled it all off, And Drove the Wheels off the Car in the final Legs. It’s Hard Enough Just Getting one team down to La Paz Let alone 3 teams with Rookie Media people in tow. If I didn’t say it then I will now. Thanks Marty for all you hard work pushing this sport to another level. You did a Great Job and should be proud of what you pulled off. Oh and Trust me Dan Neal had a Great Time at the Race. His Last words he said to me was “This is the Coolest most F****d up Thing I have ever done. When do we do it again?”

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

MrBaja

Reaction
Kreg,

Thanks for the kind words. In retrospect, it is good for the sport but I'll have to find even more help to pull off anything like that again.

Marty Fiolka
The Rennsport Group