KRX race cars

mtntoy

So I posted a couple pics in the Kawasaki UTV thread. I figured I'll post a few build pics and some info for anyone curious.

We're building three KRX 1000s to compete in Best in the Desert, our first race will be Vegas to Reno.

Attachments

slvrbullet

Any plans to beef up the spindles? I look forward to following this build as I have been keeping an eye on the KRX for my next build.

mtntoy

As far as the spindles, the only thing we've heard about them is they break do to the steering stops. Have you heard something different? We're running limit straps on the car and we're going to modify the two stage steering stops to stop the binding issue.

Olson04

Cant wait to see the final product. Pumped to see how the kawi does in a race. And for the spinldles I have also seen on a you tube video u just need to take a grinder and flatten the edge so at full lock the spindle doesnt hit. If you dont grind the 2 nubs flat when you get full lock the spindle just makes contact and then thats when the spindle will break. The video is in one of the kawi reviews.

Lucho

BRING THEM TO US...

We are getting closer to the date for our JULY 25, 2020 – PURE “240” Cal-City event.
It is an tremendous race course, that will give you a great variety of terrain.
Here is the visual link to fly over our proposed race course: -
The entire course is laid out on Kern County "unmaintained" roads, streets, Blvds., easements, and grandfathered "trails." - YOU MUST HAVE A GPS that will accept the course file. We use minimal course markings.
Also attached is the flyer and entry form & (FUTVI membership app. if you need it). Please send it in to get on the list.
Actual racecourse GPS files and map will be sent to all who have entered on Thursday, July 23, at 7 p.m.
So you still have time to sign up until Thursday at 6 p.m.
Pre-running: Saturday, July 25, from 6 a.m. to 12 Noon
Check-in & Tech, On race day from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. (Safety Tech only.)
Virtual Racers & Navigator meeting from 5 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Staging Opens at 5:40 p.m.
Staging closes at 5:50 p.m.
START OF THE RACE AT 6 P.M. – ONE CAR EVERY 30 SECONDS
Number of Laps required = 6 LAPS within the 240-MINUTE time table.
Racecourse is almost 30 miles long.
Course rating = 6.8 (10 = Freeway) – Yeah on the fast side.
Hope to see you soon.
Lois and Lou
P.S. - Oh, yes, you are welcomed to "share" this information with others. Thanks. LP
P.P.S - Required Social Distancing, face protection and other Co-vid-19 requirements, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED and used.
visit: www.averacing.com

Attachments

mtntoy

16530EF5-DD77-4A24-A237-19093BC5AB8C.jpeg
CEA86A6A-7576-455D-8C4B-55D14B6EA261.jpeg

The cars are coming along good. We have one car done and have put a few test miles on it. It’s impressive how well the stock suspension works on these cars. The other two cars should be driving next week.

sand shark

Very nice and glad to see someone building a desert racer for the pro production class that is not a RZR. What are you guys doing to get more top speed?

mtntoy

We're still testing the cars and working on the top speed issue. We can't give all our secrets away though......at least not yet.

mtntoy

So we were really on the fence with fuel cell placement, I'm sure they would have handled better with it under the seats. The cars do feel a little top heavy with a full tank but still really driveable. Our plan is to make kits to get the cars closer to the 80" width limit and we figured the $3500ish difference in the fuel cell cost would be better spent on the suspension.

mtntoy

Cant wait to see the final product. Pumped to see how the kawi does in a race. And for the spinldles I have also seen on a you tube video u just need to take a grinder and flatten the edge so at full lock the spindle doesnt hit. If you dont grind the 2 nubs flat when you get full lock the spindle just makes contact and then thats when the spindle will break. The video is in one of the kawi reviews.
Kawasaki is offering kits to correct the issue as well. We have all three cars on the list to get the replacement parts from them.

mtntoy

As of right now we have two cars ready to go with testing time on them and we'll have the third car ready to go the end of this week. And the wraps will be going on next week.
61612024603__9F5BB717-5EEA-4ECA-AD17-89856F75C356.JPG
IMG_1933.jpg
IMG_1934.jpg

Olson04

Nice. They look really good. Hope they do well. I cant wait to hear how they performed post race if u feel like letting us know. I really wanna buy a new kawi and cant wait to hear what parts lasted and what parts fail if any. Good luck

mtntoy

So far we've got over 300 miles on one of the cars testing and we're really impressed with them. The only thing We've seen so far is the rear radius rods have a tiny bit of play in them. But we have been running the car pretty hard out testing. They definitely aren't the fastest cars but they are one of the toughest cars, and the stock suspension is impressive.

novaman64

How much gas does the fuel cell hold? I am really on the fence about spending the $4k for the Speed cell on my XX or doing soemthing similar to what you did on this KRX.

It looks great!