KTM Domination

erikh

Reaction
Can someone give some insight as to why KTM is so dominant in the Dakar Rally while not being involved in desert racing here and in Mexico?

Just wondering. Thanks.

erik

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
They race those big a$$ V-Twin motors (I think that is what they call them) in the Dakar and I think that people feel they are too heavy and big for Baja.

See ya in the dirt!

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Winning Dakar for a company is like conquering the world. KTM is so succesful at Dakar becasue of the support they have. If another team stepped up and gave the support KTM does then I think they would be just as comptetitive. I have only caught a few stages of this years Dakar and I only noticed 1 XR, I am sure there are more, but at the same time I saw a dozen KTM.

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late"

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
I haven't watched enough this year, but in past years it looked like BMW gave just as much support as KTM. Remeber when Jimmy Lewis (I think that was his name, he was the journalist from the U.S) ran it, BMW had a lot of support.

See ya in the dirt!

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
I forgot about BMW...they have the same kinda support KTM does. I want to see some Red Riders out there on the 650's given hell. I know Honda can afford it.

Kris

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
KTM has been adding support in the off-road respects here. They just aren't in the dez out here. They have only a small contingency for the desert events. Mostly BITD and the AMA H&H/Enduro areas. They are supporters of Supercross (especially 125's), Arenacross, GNCC, and even FMX.

Look at the expsoure they have received on Speed TV, not to mention the tv time in Europe. Most all of the bikes running Dakar are KTM (twins or singles). They are bound to be the winners.

Jimmy Lewis is still a contributing editor at Dirt Rider Mag and also has a riding school.

Check him out at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.jimmylewisoffroad.com/frames1.html>http://www.jimmylewisoffroad.com/frames1.html</A>

Confucius Say - "Every man who do Flying-W, come down with nuts in mouth."

mustafa

Reaction
KTM is also campaining singles too! The only XR650 I saw was ridden by a woman from the UK (Patsy Quick) and she went out with a ruptured spleen.

He who lives by the sword, gets shot by those who don't.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
I watched her dump the 650 in front of a camera man and then yelled at him for being a d!ck and watching instead of helping!!

Kris

SJP12

Reaction
Because HONDA is to busy with supercross and outdoor nationals or it would be a different story.

I LIVE MY LIFE 1 SET OF WHOOPS AT A TIME!!!

desertratt

Reaction
the rumer i am hearing about honda is that they my be cutting back on there off raod racing this year. they are to busy with there car racing. the motorcycles are just an after thought to the big wigs.

drive fast and take chances!!

DesertCreations

Reaction
Honda did do Dakar a couple of years back they sent Campbell with his XR650. If I rember right he finished pretty good in his class. It's just a hole different ballpark racing over their.

martininsocal

Reaction
It is mostly a matter of target audiences...Dalar os big news in Europe and Africa, so the Manufacturers who target those sales markets put more emphasis on the competitions that those buyers watch on tele. Here, folks are into Supercross and MotoX and some desert and the primary sellers(the Japanese) target those markets because that is their biggest selling base. KTM is starting to enter these Markets here and it is evident in the Canadian motorcross Television coverage. In the mid 80's, KTM started to push its desert bikes here when there was more TV coverage of deser racing, but they went away when the TV coverage did...just like most Truck manufacturers.

If your gonna go, go BIG