Kuster

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
I am sure someone out there knows what makes a kuster shock, a kuster. All I know is that some are modified sway away's and there are some originals running around on a couple of friends trucks. Can someone explain to me what they do to them or what is so special about them?

Anyone can escape into sleep, we are all geniuses when we dream.

Volcom1095

Reaction
kuster shocks were before sway a way and the original developers of kuster was king before KING shocks. sway away bought them out. and whats different about kusters is it has an adjuster built in at the hiem end that goes trough the shaft to the rebound valving that has a klicker so you can adjust the valving from the out side by turning that klicker. its pretty trick when taken a part but the dont make them any more so its hard to find those shocks with that klicker on them.

elcaprerunner

Reaction
What people are doing now is taking the Kuster ends off of the shocks and buying SAW ones and putting them on. So JDFAB, your shocks are probably Kusters with SAW ends on them. Not 100% sure on that though. You could be old school though and try and find some of the Rancho Lightning Rod bypass shocks. :) Those things are sweet.

DIRT'S FOR RACING, PRERUNNERS ARE FOR GETTING THERE!

H.O.R.E.
Hemet Off-Road Enthusiests

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
ALOT OF BUTCH DEANS CARS HAVE KUSTERS EVERY TIME I HAVE BEEN AROUND WHEN THEY ARE PUSHING THE CAR THROUGH TECH SWAY-A-WAY OFFERS TO CHANGE OUT THE TOPS AND BOTTOMS ON THE SHOCKS SO THEY MUST BE INTERCHANGIBLE IF ANYONE WANTS TO SEE COOL OLD RACE STUFF YOU HAVE TO GO TO VALLEY PERFORMANCE SOMETIME WHILE IN VEGAS

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
It can't be as easy as just changing the end to get an adjustable valving. It goes up through the shaft to the inside of the shock. So it would have to be a little more complicated than just swapping the end out. I think SAW did make them adjustable for awhile but then stopped, but I'm not 100% sure.

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
about a year ago a friend of mine purchased brand new from sway away 18" 3.0 that came with the adjuster in them. In an old issue of offroad there was a ranger i think built by dpr, any way it had what looked like sway aways, but on the caps they had a symbol and kuster engraved on them.

Anyone can escape into sleep, we are all geniuses when we dream.

Bomber52

Reaction
The aduster only controls the bleed of the shock, which determines when the valve plates open, you can not adjust the high speed portion.

We had a couple of damaged Kusters in and fitted SAW ends, no problem.

Glenn

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Yes, the parts are interchangable between kusters and sway-aways. Brett will also rebuild kusters still if you have a problem with sway-away.....

Wayne_Nosala

Reaction
Sway-A-Way bought out kuster shock company a few years ago (I heard Kuster
was in some deep trouble with the IRS). Sway-a-way attempted to make the
"klicker" shocks but decided they were too difficult to manufacture & make a
profit on them, so they phased them out. I also have a set of Klickers on the front
of my buggy,(with the Sway-a-way logo) some of the parts are still avalable(like valving)... some are not ( Like the hollow shafts). I recently had to buy seals for
from Brett King, He told me he helped design them.Sway-a-way didn't
have seals for them at the time

Nosala.com

JPDesertsports

Reaction
I thought Lance was the man with the plan as far as design and practiced theory went, and Bret was behind all sales, marketing, and general tech. Could be wrong, I have been before.

"You're not a bad driver, you just ran out of talent." - Mike Stapleton