Kyle Leduc

GBRACER

Was curious how Kyle did in the baja against some seasoned "Baja drivers", What were the split times like
Anybody have any insight to how he did at the front of the pack, i know he did better than Robby lol, .......

BrentB

Riviera #3 race report.

First off, our thoughts and prayers are with Cody and Mark, such an unfortunate incident, we all know the highways are the most dangerous part of racing in Baja.

Kyle and I starting first off the line in the "Black Diamond" of the Baja 1000 was a very special experience. We know how much love there is for the Team and the Truck in Baja by the locals. A 24 year old race car with a history and reputation that goes without saying, but the fact is there is a ton of new technology and new trucks that this truck shouldn't be able to be as competitive as it was. Kyle LeDuc has such raw talent he blew my mind so many times, obviously by putting us on the pole, but by doing it in the exact setup we race the B1k with. Fuel, spares, tools, everything, (except my 165lbs). I have raced with so many talented drivers over the years, but I was blown away how INCH perfect Kyle was on his first and only time prerunning, due to many circumstances Kyle wasn't able to come down until Monday afternoon. Leaving us only two days to prerun his 475 miles together, fortunately Mark let us use his Prerunner, sister to the Diamond, Kyle got to see the course in as similar seat as there could be to the race car. I had spent three weeks prerunning/making my notes, then doing final runs with Mark and Ed the weekend before.

We were confident in our race plan, try to hold first on the road going into the night then we could control the race. First on the road has such an advantage but also holds so many risks, traffic, booby traps, etc. We left the line with a clear plan who we were really racing behind us and not take risk where unnecessary. But we also knew one mistake/flat/missed turn would would take the magical clean air away from us. Leaving Ensenada we were excited to see little wind so could take it easy to the Pepsi stand, get a split and grind our way down to Urapan. We had put 20 seconds on Ricky but Robby had gained 15, the dust was clearing in many areas faster than I'd hoped. We knew they wouldn't get by us going to Uranpan if we didn't make a mistake, but also knew we needed so time so we could conserve tires heading to the coast where Ricky would have an an advantage. Plan executed, but Ricky shrunk the gap at the winery/B500 qually course. Dust wasn't hanging and the 4x went corner to corner quick. Leaving Santo Thomas we had 45 on Ricky and 2:45 on Robby. Let the fun begin, I knew Ricky would have to pit short of us at around 150 so we planned to push hard to build a pitting gap at that point, Robby's multi splash pitting was also in our mind but our gap on him was safe.

Then it happened, every race in Baja you have issues to deal with that will dictate your race, ours just showed up. Leaving Erindia we lost the front brakes, this really handicapped Kyle's ability to make the Diamond dance in the techy stuff and sketchy on anything downhill. Adapting driving style some we still pushed hard to build the gap for our stop, and we did. Herbst Pit one, in for tires and fuel and try to diagnose brake issue, but not give up first on the road. Failed, while looking for the issue Ricky just goes by. Now it got really exciting trying to retake control of the race without front brakes and in Rick's dust we are pushing hard on the cliffs of Vicente Guerrero, with all he just added VCPs I was very busy keeping Kyle from cutting to pass at places we couldn't. Eye opener, over the rise where Alan Ampudia would eventually crash we have a BIG moment, big big moment. In Ricky's dust, we misjudged top of the rise and lack of front brakes we fly off the rise at i believe a much faster speed than Alan. "Oh" I've been in this situation so many times in my navigating career; silence, time slowes, and you process in milliseconds. Fortunately Kyle still committed to the Rt 20 0ver call, he turns we go airborn, slam embankment left front tire just as he straightens the wheel. Big hit, big big hit and big time moment coming, we pitch to my side at least 45 degrees, embankment right coming Kyle steers Lt 10, we impact, big explosion of rock and dust blows through the cab, now airborne pitching towards Kyle's side, he wraps the throttle two times while steering near full lock right. Dust clears from cab as we touch down, Kyle mats the gas the throws it into the Rt 30 @ bottom. "Good truck" he calmly says over the intercom , steering now has a hard spot to steer through but she is still alive.(as are we) We press on to the beach at the VG wash still in Ricky's dust, jump onto the wet sand clean air then exit beach through the sand mounds. Dust again as we weave along the inland side of the sand mounds, I call Exit Rt 20 @ Y and the dust clears. "Ricky went left, we went the wrong way" Kyle says over the intercom, "no he is missing the VCP I'm steering us to", there it flashes on Stella. Now Ricky has around a half mile lead on us, Kyle is on full burn and the Diamond just loves the area just north of San Q. We want to get back to the front but now I know we are really nine minutes in front of Ricky because of the missed vcp. We run to San Quintien get into the speed zone and talk about our situation with the truck, strategy coming and when or if we should stop to deal with our issues.

I'll finish recap later.

Dirty Harry

Do you have a photographic memory Brent? Or did you write this while watching the in car footage. That was the most detailed race report I have ever seen, thank you for taking the time to share!

Chaplain

God Dude
At the edge of my seat....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Baja Bryan

Nice write up. Felt like I was in the car with you guys. You should write action drams for a living haha..

Chaplain

God Dude
Brent. Seriously how long are you going to make us wait for the rest of the story....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

TecateRay

Well written start to the story. Your description of that one particular "wild ride" adventure is great. I love Kyle's response "Good Truck".
I pitted (Baja Fools) the Riviera truck when Kyle's dad was driving along with Mark Post. Always exciting when that black Ford came screaming into view.