Lack of some "Big Hitters" @ Parker = Lack of interest?

bobylax

Reaction
Just curious if anyone has an opinion as to why there was so little interest here on RDC for one of the bigger races of the season. In years past, there would have been at least 250 posts from Thursday qualifying to Sunday post race for the 425. For most big SCORE or BITD races there would be pages of posts from fans following the race, providing updates and stories from the race. I've noticed a trend recently that fewer and fewer people are following some or most of the races here on RDC. I was just curious what might be driving this trend. From Thursday qualifying to this morning, there were a grand total of 49 posts in reference to the Parker 425. Interest in a few races seems a bit low lately, but 49 posts for the 1st big race of the season? Was it the lack of some of the big names not showing up at Parker this year? I know the fact that KOH made some big news with adding the TT's to their line up was huge, but there is 471 posts regarding KOH to date, and the racing hasn't started yet. SNORE already has 74 posts for a race that is 2 weeks away. Does everyone follow races because of the roster of entries, or the prestige or challenge of the event, the need to get or share info or status on the event, or is getting or sharing on social media drawing fans away, or something I'm missing to create the latest lack of interest. I'm kind of baffled by this trend and was wondering why.

Fourstroker

Reaction
Fishgistics does a lot on FB and Instagram. Many follow there

Honda48X

Reaction
Most are going to the tracking web sites and watching that information or are racing and don't have time to post.

Yumaoffroad

Reaction
us old schoolers still rely on rdz its the social media where people source info now days, years back rdz was THE source from live races posting in the forum

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
There is a lot of people following the race on social media and the tracking website but that isn't anything new. We also had quick video clips and some photos posted on the RDC Facebook and Instagram accounts. For this race I think the KOH TT race could have something to do with the lack of interest since some of the big names weren't racing. For Dakar in the Rally Raid section of our forum it was very busy. And other races like the 1000 still get a good amount of posts here in the forum.

One problem with social media is the short attention span and posts get buried and forgotten about very quickly. Forums are better for long term and easier to come back and see photos, videos, reference what happened at a race, etc. if that's what you are looking for. Maybe more people will start realizing that one day and post more in here and other forums. I read more and more people getting fed up with social media but I know it won't go away completely. Just my opinion.

Here are some links for the RDC Parker coverage that's been posted so far. (I just posted this in another thread asking where the RDC coverage was....)

- Time Trials photos and story.
- Contingency video/interviews.
- Morning race video highlights
- Full list of race results

Jason is currently shooting the King of the Hammers UTV race and will be posting his coverage of the Parker races later tonight. I will also be posting a highlight video of the second race by tomorrow. Also, short video clips and some photos were posted on the RDC Facebook and Instagram accounts throughout the day yesterday.

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction
There is a lot of people following the race on social media and the tracking website but that isn't anything new. We also had quick video clips and some photos posted on the RDC Facebook and Instagram accounts. For this race I think the KOH TT race could have something to do with the lack of interest since some of the big names weren't racing. For Dakar in the Rally Raid section of our forum it was very busy. And other races like the 1000 still get a good amount of posts here in the forum.

One problem with social media is the short attention span and posts get buried and forgotten about very quickly. Forums are better for long term and easier to come back and see photos, videos, reference what happened at a race, etc. if that's what you are looking for. Maybe more people will start realizing that one day and post more in here and other forums. I read more and more people getting fed up with social media but I know it won't go away completely. Just my opinion.

Here are some links for the RDC Parker coverage that's been posted so far. (I just posted this in another thread asking where the RDC coverage was....)

- Time Trials photos and story.
- Contingency video/interviews.
- Morning race video highlights
- Full list of race results

Jason is currently shooting the King of the Hammers UTV race and will be posting his coverage of the Parker races later tonight. I will also be posting a highlight video of the second race by tomorrow. Also, short video clips and some photos were posted on the RDC Facebook and Instagram accounts throughout the day yesterday.

But can we get an expedition/trip forum section? ;):):)

Goober

Reaction
I think it's time for Score and BITD to combine their efforts. Could you imagine a series with 3 Baja races, Mint, Parker, and V2R. I don't see the BLM allowing a full Hammers race but a 7 race series would be outstanding. Unfortunately I don't see this happening until the next recession and money gets tight.

Pee Wee

Reaction
Perhaps people avoid posting about BITD races because some d bag will always reply that it’s not Baja, everything is graded, you can’t chase, or entries are too much. Just gets old.

Sent from my iPad using race-deZert

Tundranation

Reaction
some big names missing.....Fishgistics.....KOH........a lot going on in the next month and a half .....several reasons ..... but yea, very quiet on here.....

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Social media is where you get instant information now days. Forums are great like Curtis said to keep track of information in order and have discussions and come back to find stuff later. But during an event there is nothing like social media now days IMO.

BajaFand

Reaction
The Hammers race has so much hype right now and getting people really excited because it’s a brand new event, hence the big number of posts for its thread. Parker I guess is a little stale for the big names and people posting. I don’t think there’s much more to it than that. It will be interesting to see how the racers like this new KOH event and how they approach the beginning of the season next year.

Funny thing that i don’t think anyone who skipped Parker for KOH this year thought of... if the “fish scale” is going to be the points system for the future of the KOH event starting order, a lot of teams this year missed out on a big points opportunity for KOH next year by skipping Parker this year. While I’m sure the KOH points will count on the scale, Parker is a major race that is worth quite a bit of points for next year. So skipping Parker was a gamble, especially if someone doesn’t make the cut at the KOH prologue.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

AZ7000'

Reaction
Was a major race? The fishgistics is all trophy truck based. Does Parker even have trophy trucks? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

OFFRD-JNKIE

Reaction
Next year will be different also because they are moving Parker back one week to the last weekend in Jan to help make it easier for people that are competing in both events.

jon coleman

Reaction
naaaa, ' big hitters' looked at weather reports, excuse abort kicked in, besides, they had to stay home & support #12 on sunday

MTPyle

Reaction
Next year will also be a two day race. I don't really like to be there for an extra day but it will be nice to start early and not race at night. the bad weather at night really made it tough for pits and guys on course with issues.

Mike

OFFRD-JNKIE

Reaction
^^^^ Welcome to off road racing.... We've all been there done that with bad weather roll with it and make the best of it. ALWAYS put a jacket and some rations in the race car in case your broke on course with bad weather.....

jon coleman

Reaction
ooohhh yeah, best survival kit- start w- blue tarp( no. clairmont style), put 5 th of a strong spirt , beef jerky, thick ski gloves& beany hat, old ski jacket, power bars. then u can hunker down in those no chase races' thats what i did at henderson , throw tarp over car, drink , get bitter over broken clutch & miss 2 nd overall 1700 cls by 4 points. thats motorsport.luv it

MTPyle

Reaction
LOL I wasn't really complaining just saying it will be nice to finish in the day. If you complain about being cold you properly should not be racing off-road at all. Hehe. I am thick and made for the cold.

It was a fun race for sure. we learned a lot and will be even faster next race.

Mike