Jammminjay

RDC Crypto

Recently I had an opportunity to tag along with onX Offroad on an incredible off-road trip through the Rocky Mountains to test out new features of the off-road maps and take the long way to Overland Expo Mountain West. So what better way than to bring people together from all over the industry and test out new features of the onX Offroad app. Among the vehicles brought on the trip was a 1996 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ80 rolling on 40-inch tires owned by Go Fast Campers co-founder Graeme MacPherson. A 80 series on 40s is a combo that is undoubtedly magnificent, but what makes this Land Cruiser special is not just how it looks. But because not everything has to be a race truck or rock crawler with bypasses and that is the point. Simple is good.  ...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Cuban Mike

RDC Crypto
The Land Cruiser is still one of the most capable off-road vehicles you could buy. If anyone disagrees they are welcome to debate with me. I love my Toyotas.
I enjoy reading all your write ups. I do have to geek out and point out that your feature vehicle was born with an inline 6, 1FZ-FE with 212 hp not a V6 😉. Maybe a 4.0L V6 Toyota swap when the 4.5L lets go😂 he only needs to put another 1/2 million more miles on it😂Keep the stories coming, they are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Jammminjay

RDC Crypto
I enjoy reading all your write ups. I do have to geek out and point out that your feature vehicle was born with an inline 6, 1FZ-FE with 212 hp not a V6 😉. Maybe a 4.0L V6 Toyota swap when the 4.5L lets go😂 he only needs to put another 1/2 million more miles on it😂Keep the stories coming, they are greatly appreciated.
I am ashamed of myself haha. That inline-six was a dog but fairly reliable. Just have to do a head gasket every 200,000 miles haha. An oversight on my part! My bad! But I appreciate the feedback and am glad you are enjoying the stories. means a lot to me.

JDDurfey

RDC Crypto
In South America the Land Cruiser was available with a N/A diesel in the 80s and I believe they put a turbo on it in the 90s. We also never saw any auto transmissions. 5 speed transmissions were standard equipment.

My friend's dad had an 84 Land Cruiser diesel with a 5 speed. While it wasn't the fastest or quickest, it was extremely reliable on our horrible roads.