Latch vs Cam restraints

MTPyle

Reaction
We are looking to upgrade our restraints. I want to get the style that has the ratchet in the lap so we can get super tight after we are in. I have seen too many back injuries due to loose belts.

The question is Latch VS Cam? We have latch now and its OK, seems to take awhile to get in. Another team told me they weld the shoulder and lap buckles together so you dont have to try and put them together.

Is that better or the Cam?

has anyone gone from Latch to Cam?

Mike

Last edited:

Phoenix0783

Reaction
Wasn't the whole point of not allowing cam belts because they get dirty and jam? Has that problem been solved?

MTPyle

Reaction
Wasn't the whole point of not allowing cam belts because they get dirty and jam? Has that problem been solved?
I thought that was for the push button release? I thought the twist cam lock does not get clogged like the button did? I dont know this for fact, just thought I heard that.

Who is running Cam Lock and is it better than Latch?

Mike

Charlietuna

Reaction
Another team told me they weld the shoulder and lap buckles together so you dont have to try and put them together.
Whatever racing organization you run with doesn't abide by SFI specs or something similar? Because the second they welded them, they rendered any certification from the manufacturer virtually worthless...

MTPyle

Reaction
Charlie, Good point. Thanks

Wonder how they got around that? I think BITD and SCORE both require 16.5 SFI for restraints. I don't need to run the risk of not passing tech. We are always busy enough those days. So another reason cam locks might be better.

Both of my sons and myself are larger. We are all 6'5" and 225, 245, & 270lbs. So it can be pretty tight to get all strapped in. Its been taking way to long for our crew changes and tire changes so another reason we are looking for a change.

Mike

Charlietuna

Reaction
It seems I remember seeing somewhere one time that the harnesses with one-piece shoulder/lap belts were not for "competition use", but I don't recall exactly where I saw it.

Zambo

Reaction
I've had camlock belts in a couple different cars and never had one "jam." The problem I think is with them coming unlatched while bouncing around. I have had many instances of myself or the other driver with regular latch and link belts coming undone while going down the trail. Most of the time it was probably because the latch didn't seat all the way into the ball detent that holds it closed, or there was some dirt or whatever in there that let it spring open.

As for camlocks, I think they are plenty safe. They are certainly SFI rated. Some of them have a sort of handle built into the turning portion that I don't really like because I think its too easy to hit it and spring the belt open. I prefer the plain round handle that you actually have to grip and turn a full 90 in order to make the belts release.

Besides being able to get strapped in much easier, especially while wearing all your gear, what I really like about camlocks are that the cam is on the sub strap, so you can't wear the belt without the sub strap even if you wanted to.

Jeff Furrier

ADVERTISER
Reaction
Coincidentally, we had a IG post today on Cam Locks.

Ratchet belts are fine if set up correctly, but a proper set up on a standard system should get you as tight as you need to be. I see ratchets being used as Band-Aids to a poor set up. The mounts are usually in the wrong spot or the adjusters are hard to get to, so ratchets cover those mistakes.

If you’re “crank it till your about to pass out lap belt guy”, don’t be” loose shoulder harness guy”. If your 3” lap is super tight and your shoulders are lose, in a strong hit where you go forward in your belts the lap belts can act as a fulcrum and greatly increase the chances of a lower back injury. When you go forward in your belts, you’d be better off having your lower back be able to bend some rather than break where it’s restrained.

We're pretty good a harness set up, we usually have a set at the races with adjustable harnesses to show the difference. I can honestly say that many off road guys don't know what right feels like becasue they've always been in cars with bad set ups. I'll try to add some pictures with better explanations later.

Advantage West

Reaction
"The mounts are usually in the wrong spot or the adjusters are hard to get to, so ratchets cover those mistakes" UPR. The mounts being wrong is the problem MOST of the time. We bought an Ivan Stewart Protruck a few months back. I would not even drive around the block with the way the mounts were set up from. This truck had been raced like this for years...scary, last owner did break his back and we could see how it could happen. We made all new mount points, where they are supposed to be. New PRP Belts and Sparco Hard Shell seats. Won Parker and Mint without my co rider or myself ever readjusting or feeling loose. The Jeep we raced was the same way when i got it, redid all mounts, cut the seats, all good. Really study the degree angles recommended for belts and follow those as your guide, making everything else work around them. We cut the crap out of our new seats because the crotch strap would not follow the correct plane. We took a whole day with just belt set up. All of the angle details matter way more then most think. You will never be sore from correctly set up belts either. My 2 cents.

Zambo

Reaction
SFI 16.1 vs 16.5 Harness: Which One Do I Need? | PRP Seats

This link is just from PRP seats but it sounds like nothing has changed and cam loks are still illegal for BITD SCORE or SNORE. Just go to the link and scroll down a bit. It lists rules for all the racing orgs
Not true, plenty of cars just ran them at the Mint. Here is a link to this year's addendum to the SCORE rule book. Also, I emailed NORRA and they are allowing cam locks as well. I already have them in my car.

Rule Book Addendum – SCORE Race Info

notime

NTR Films media guy
Reaction
We brought a set of Cam restraints for the class 11 we raced the mint, and worked good, felt more easy and quick to buckle up, actually asked my codriver to get in and out before the race start, to get used to, and yes this car I raced had different mounts points as the other car I used to race and we talked about need to fix it to make it better, sore shoulders next day confirmed that the harness weren’t in the correct angle

Wendell #527

Reaction
Makes sense to finally allow them. I never liked the score mounting requirement either. I’m not sure if it’s still the case but they used to want the shoulder straps mounted below your shoulder line by a couple of inches. So every whoop as your body moved forward the belts would effectively push down on your shoulders compressing your spine. I don’t have a score rulebook anymore. Is that still the case?

jon coleman

Reaction
cams need to be kept clean!, they are great for clean ,stearl road racing, but grit can make'm finniky.also sinch lap belts Tight, that holds u in seat, counting on shoulder harness to hold u down, esspecially in woops is bad for back.im not sure how tight they have to be for hans device, never used one.just missed there mandate.always take care of safty equip.it seems to always be low on prep list, until u have to count on it....

y2kbaja

Reaction
Score rule book still says shoulder belts mounting 4" below top of shoulder.