Latest issue of off-road mag

Chris

Reaction
Anyone check out the latest off-road? There is an article on a new long travel kit for the 98-01 two wheel drive rangers by the guys that used to work for MR. Larry Plank. The kit looks very clean, and sturdy. Their kit uses king coilovers on upper shock mounts that do not have a cross bar. Any thoughts on this holding up?

EQuin

Reaction
Hey Chris,

I read that same article. I was wondering the same thing. I don't have a Ranger and don't know much about them, but it looks like the 98 and up Rangers have rack and pinion steering racks judging from the pics in that article. I'm also wondering how the rack and tie rod ends hold up to the extra travel.

Ed

Chris

Reaction
I was wondering the same thing, I saw that they supply new extended tie rod ends that are probably a good deal stronger due to the extended track width. I was going to try to use the shock hoops from that kit on my '98 four wheel drive ranger but I have tosion bars (dooohhh!!) where the two wheel drive utilizes a coil spring setup. I've come to the realization that my trucks future as a desert blazing menace is hopeless due to the lack of parts available for my truck.

EQuin

Reaction
Hey Chris,

I didn't realize there was a lack of parts for 4wd Rangers. Is that just for the newer 98 and up 4wd Rangers? It may be because they're still relatively new. Or was there much change between the newer 98 and up Rangers and the older Rangers? Besides the front drivetrain and torsion bar versus coil springs, what other differences are there between the 4wd and 2wd Ranger? Have you checked with some of the shops, like Donahoe and Camburg, for instance? They might be able to give you some ideas for your 4wd. I realize the CV axles on your 4wd might limit front ravel, but there was an interesting discussion awhile back on one of the threads on this board concerning longer travel needs versus improved, quality shock dampening. By the way, do the 98 and up 4wd Rangers also come with rack and pinion steering? Or is that just for the 2wd 98 and up Rangers?

Take care,

Ed

Jack

Reaction
I think the 2 and 4 WD are torsion, so it sounds like they are just taking that out and making it coil.

DougM

Reaction
Yes BOTH the 2 & 4WD are torsion bars. I don't see any mention in the article about them taking them out. I e-mailed Randall Jachmann at OR mag about it 2 weeks ago and no answer.

I may call SI after the holiday. Im thinking this may work with my 2WD Explorer but with out the 4" extra width (you need glass fenders to cover that up)

WFODAN

Reaction
Actually the 2WD has coils in the front . The Baja Shops truck is also in this issue , with their new kit for the 2WD 98-01 Ranger . It's cool that people are finally making affordable , working suspension systems for these trucks .

Dan Vance

blind655

Reaction
Any thoughts about the Fabtech truck in the new Off-road? It says that it gets 19" front wheel trav. Is this true??

Chris

Reaction
I agree with you guys that the truck looked very nice. I think that the technical data was a little biased. Fabtech gets treated pretty well by Offroad magazine cause I think offroad gets a lot of parts comp'ed for their project trucks. Free parts=good press=soft stats. Of course I could just be blowin smoke out my arse! Thats not to say that if it was a total piece offroad would endorse it just because it was free. Realistically 29" ...I don't think so.

blind655

Reaction
the plot thickens....

DougM

Reaction
WFO Dan;
My eXplorer is 2WD and has torsions and coils.

Is the Ranger diffrent?

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
I dont think Off-Road favors Fabtech. You have to remember that 90% of there subscriptions are back east. Now that fabtech is a big distributor people back there know about it, it would be hard for Randall to feature local shops all the time because he would get a lot of complaints. As far as 19" out of that Fabtech truck it sounds a little fishy, I would guess 15 at the most, The truck would be nicer if the trusset on the rear end was not bolted on, that is kinda cheesy and the belts hanging from the ceiling, not to sure about that... All in all I think it could be a real bitchin truck with a few changes but you have to commend them for what they have done and are doing. They have made prerunner parts affordable to everyone. I guarantee 90% of the people on this board had something Fabtech at one time or another and have talked to Ivan Dan behind the counter. :)

Chris

Reaction
I was being partially facetious when I wrote that last post, however Offroad may be an east coast publication but they are aiming to their west coast audience when they promote prerunner topics. They are also bringing west coast product to east coast readers, so geography is not a valid argument. In a 50 square mile area of LA/Orange county you could literaly build the hotest offroad vehicle imaginable (money allowing of course) and never need to go "outside" for any parts. As for lots of people owning fabtech parts, sure they do, but lots of people bought Pintos too and look what happened. I am not trying to start an a love/hate argument with respect to fabtech. The more people know about and get involved with going fast in the desert the better quality the available parts become which is good for all of us, fabtech included.

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
Talk to the guys at Off-Road magazine. They are trying there hardest to get desert "west coast" stuff in the mag. We should be thankful. The last editor that did what Randall was doing now was let go a couple of years ago.. Plus the people backeast dont have much desert to go fast across. So be thankful for what we have to look out. It could go away real soon or get stronger. My vote is for stronger...

Chris

Reaction
I agree I'm just in an argumentative mood cause I'm still at work while the rest of the united states has gone home to plan their bb-q's for tommorrow. Hope everyone enjoys independance day!!! I plan on having some good eats, a few cold one's and then watch the fireworks on the beach in a happy (beer induced) daze :)

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
We sold a Fabtech long travel kit to a friend. He said after he installed the bump stops he got around 5 1/2" of travel. That is right only 5.5" of travel. I was able to take a look at the Fabtech Super crew at the sema show and it looked to have the same kit on it. The only difference is that it had a bolt on coil-over kit. Greg Soaper from Fabtech told us at the Sema show that the truck had about 6" of travel. Maybe they changed the ball joints??? As for the rear, They still have the full useable bed in the truck. My guess would be that the truck has around 12" in the rear. Although I could be wrong but who knows.

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
I did the install on the kit that Jerry from Camburg sold to my friend he's right it only cycled 5.5" of travel. It should be called a wide track kit not a long travel kit. Its a nice kit just doesnt have the money to wheel travel ratio that it should have $1200= 9" to 11" of wheel travel.

michael_loomis

Reaction
i always thought that travel was measured at the center of the hub that the wheel bolts to. is this wrong ? i mean the difference between 5" and 15" should be rather obvious. a stock truck should have almost 5.5"

gary

Reaction
my friend was one of the photographers for the shoot, so i got the scoop on that truck before the mag came out. the highlight was when the truck nosed in hard after the last jump, and the bottom brackets/bolts on the skidplate poked two big holes in the radiator. it drained out nice and quick.

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
I THINK THIS MONTHS OFF ROAD WAS THE BEST THING FOR THE NEWER RANGER OWNERS. I MYSELF HAVE HAD 2 OF THE NEWER RANGERS A 98 4CYL AND NOW A 00 3.0. IN THE LAST FOUR YEARS THE ONLY TRUE LONGTRAVEL(KIT) WAS CAMBURGS. BUT THE NEW SI KIT IS VERY THOUGHT OUT BUT, THOSE HOOPS WILL BEND MY FRIEND KEVIN FROM KS MOTORSPORTS OF EL CAJON HE RAN SIMILAR HOOPS TO THE SI KIT AND ENDED UP DOING A ENGINE CAGE BECAUSE THE HOOPS KEPT BENDING. THE BAJA SHOP ON THE OTHER HAND IS ONE OF THE SICKEST KITS I HAVE SEEN EVEN THOUGH THE COILOVERS ARE A SMALLER STROKE THE WAY THEY MOUNT IS A ALOT LOWER TO THE SPINDAL WITH A LITTLE HOOP RATHER THAN THE BIG O SI HOOPS. I BELIEVE IT WILL BE WAY STRONGER THEN THE SI KIT AND IT JUST HAS A MORE CUSTOM LIGHTWEIGHT DESIGN. THE FABTECH ON THE OTHER HAND IS ONE OF THE WEAKEST PIECES OF CRAP I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED. ON MY 98 RANGER I HAD FABTECH FOR 2 MONTHS AND HAD TO CHANGE MY UPPERS BACK TO STOCK UPPERS 3 TIMES ON THE TRAIL THEN SWITCHED TO THE CAMBURGS AND NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. I THINK THAT UNTIL THEY CHANGE TO UNIBALL RATHER THAN BALL JOINT THEIR KIT IS GOING TO BE A STRICKLY ALL SHOW NO GO KIT. I DONT MEAN TO TALK [censored] BUT I HAVE HEARD OF AT LEAST 6 INSTANCES OF PEOPLE HAVING THE SAME PROBLEMS. FABTECH IS A CHEAP INEXPENSIVE **LIFT** AND LIKE THEY SAY YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. AS FOR THE TRUCK IN OFF ROAD IF YOU WERE TO SPEND AS MUCH MONEY AS THEY DID ON THAT THING AND SHOPPED AROUND YOU COULD HAVE ONE NICE MACHINE THAT DOESNT LOOK LIKE A SMURF WAGON. I UNDERSTAND THAT OFF ROAD HAS TO THINK ABOUT THE EAST COAST PEOPLE BUT FROM WHAT IVE SEEN, MOST THINK THAT BODY LIFTS AND DROP BRACKETS ARE WHERE ITS AT AND THINK THAT PRERUNNERS ARE DUMB AND UGLY. SOME HAVE ACTUALLY TOLD ME THAT MY TRUCK WAS STUPID BECAUSE IT WAS HIGHER IN THE FRONT. IN MY OPINION OFF ROAD SHOULD PUT MORE INTO THE REASON FOR SUSP TRAVEL TO EDUCATE SOME OF ARE FRIENDS FROM THE EAST. RATHER THAN JUST SHOWING COOL LOOKING TRUCKS WITH A BUNCH OF OVER PRICED NONSENSE WITH NO TRAVEL. I HOPE THIS HELPS A LITTLE. SORRY FOR BEING SO LONG. ISAAC