• Forum membership has its advantages....

LATEST NEWS - LOORRS MAKES SCHEDULE CHANGE WITH AN EYE TO THE FUTURE

Dirty*

170117_schedule_change_glenhelen.jpg

Corona, California (January 17, 2017)
– Officials of the Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series presented by GEICO have trimmed the 2017 championship schedule from 15 to 13 races as part of an ongoing process designed to ensure a strong future for the series.

The events at Sparks, Nevada, and Devore, California, will have one round of competition instead of the two originally scheduled at each venue. No dates have been changed, however. The series will be at Wild West Motorsports Park in Sparks for round 11 on August 26 and at Glen Helen Raceway in Devore for round 12 on September 16.

No other events are affected and the season will end with round 13 of the championship and the Challenge Cup races at Wild Horse Pass Motorsports Park in Chandler, Arizona, October 21-22.

"We're going to change things up a little this year and try out a few new ideas," Lucas Oil Executive Vice-President Bob Patison said.

"The single-day race format at Sparks and Glen Helen is an experiment. It should make for some very intense race action. We're also bringing in more grandstands and providing additional parking to accommodate more race fans."

Series director Ritchie Lewis said the format changes were among the suggestions made during the usual post-season meetings and conversations.

"We're taking every measure possible to ensure that we're around for many years to come," Lewis said. "We've looked at and tried a lot of the recommendations that were made and we'll continue to listen to suggestions from our teams and our great fans.

"The single-day events at Wild West Motorsports Park and Glen Helen Raceway will give us a chance to see how that works in both long haul and short haul situations. The overall experiences of the series personnel, the fans and the competitors will be noted and we'll compare past data to this year to help us going forward with regard to single-day events.

"We also welcome any constructive feedback during this trial period."

ryspilg

I have already commented on this on social media, but I just don't see this as a win for anyone. Fans, racers, vendors, all involved with each event. I have been following this sport for 20 years, and this is one of the worst ideas I have heard. From my standpoint, short course has always been a full weekend event (Fri-Sun) full of action regardless of it being Saturday's race or Sunday's. These drivers and crews give 110% no matter what day it is so narrowing it down to just one day seems silly to me and will not do much at all to change the on track action.

I travel back to Midwest 2-3 times a year (Bark River, Crandon) for the races from Salt Lake, UT. If these were to drop down to one day only events I would be very hesitant to do so. The races here in UT are excellent and it would be a real shame to see one of those days disappear. The action is so good day 1 it gets me even more excited for round 2. Due to the event being shortened down to 1 day in Reno has left me with the sad choice of cancelling my plans to drive there for the event. I'm afraid by doing this, it is only going to draw local fans, and will see less ppl willing to fly/drive to these events.

I have a feeling I'm not the only one that feels this way and it would be interesting to hear what some of the drivers/crews have to say (big and small). In the end I hope it works out as I too want to see this sport grow and get the attention it genuinely deserves.

mike337

Is it because it's saving teams money to race 2 less events? If that's what they want, ok, but otherwise as a spectator, I wouldn't waste my money on a one day event. As mentioned, there has to be a huge loss to vendors, from tee shirts to the hot dog stand, etc.

Dirty Harry

Is it because it's saving teams money to race 2 less events? If that's what they want, ok, but otherwise as a spectator, I wouldn't waste my money on a one day event. As mentioned, there has to be a huge loss to vendors, from tee shirts to the hot dog stand, etc.
I would think that travel costs are the big expense so I can't imagine the teams are saving that much by switching from a two day to a one day format. Maybe I am missing something though.

JEFF_DICKERSON

My opinion is Reno should stay as a 2 day event since the travel is so far for teams. Also, with it being late in the season and only being a 1 day event are teams not in the points at that time going to skip it?

Glen Helen is my favorite track but has never had a good 2 day spectator turnout.
Saturday is always packed, but Friday night and Sunday have never had as big of crowds.

I say make Elsinore a 1 day event (My least liked track..........)

450grl

When I was racing the truck, a major cost for me was the travel to the events.....hotels, fuel, paying my crew, feeding them, having spares on hand, prepping the truck for the weekend, etc. I liked the two-race format per weekend, especially for the farther races because I could essentially kill two birds with one stone.....plus, Reno is one of my favorite tracks.

Djwc406

I agree I think this will really hurt the Reno turn out. It's a long hall for a one day event. Also the some teams are paid by there sponsors for races raced not race weekends this will hurt some of the teams.

Tater

What if poor weather causes one of those rounds to be cancelled? The weekend would be a total loss.

450grl

That being said, I do appreciate the fact that LOORRS tries stuff.....the fact that they aren't afraid to take chances for the betterment of the series is a good thing! :)

J_T_CARTER

That being said, I do appreciate the fact that LOORRS tries stuff.....the fact that they aren't afraid to take chances for the betterment of the series is a good thing! :)
The only thing about that is yea they are willing to make changes to make it better which is good. But as it looks a lot of people aren't happy with it

vegasloki

From the promoter's standpoint that's an additional day of costs. It's better to get one mostly full house on one day than two half houses over two days. While the racers big cost (particularly the privateer type teams) are the three Ts, time, tires and travel. The promoter has direct costs for each day. Given attendance it may make more sense to have a shorter, more largely attended event rather than eliminating the event altogether. What they are saying is that they are testing this with a far event and a close event.

mike337

I would be bummed if a TORC did this to an event I planned on attending, but I'm no promoter and I don't pay the bills, lol.
Then again, Looking at some of TORCs "bull ring" events with 200 people in the stands, maybe there's a reason to go one day I guess?
I'm more interested in the DOT tire test results for now, and praying for a good car count in both series.

PDANK Racing

That's a long way to travel for some of these guys for only 30 minutes of racing.
Good point. With a single day event, the series should consider changing the format to heat race(s) with a lcq, and main for each class. Personally, I would probably skip a single day event with a long haul, unless it had more seat time. If I was a loors racer, I'd skip the single events and have enough cash and time to go race fall Crandon.

I can see the benefit for a short race program when its hot as balls out. I went to the Wild horse race last year, and it was 90*. I was kinda glad that the race day didn't last 8-9hrs. Honestly though, if the bleachers were covered, the temp wouldn't have been a big deal.

speedfun

Why not run a day race starting earlier like 10 or 11 -- and a night race in one day?
Have the qualifiers on friday --

vegasloki

Heat races are a good idea, pea pick the positions for the heats, use the finishes to set the main. The only class big enough for an LCQ is Pro Lite. Pro 4 is lucky to get more than a dozen. GRC runs a one day with a similar format. Action packed, though they don't have to groom whatever parking lot with lumps of dirt they are in that weekend.

AuzGrams

Disappointed to see Reno only be 1 day. I think it would make more sense to do two Reno races and one finale at Wild Horse Pass which already has 2 in the spring.