Leadnav and NORRA

punchdrunk monkey

Reaction
This is going to be my first NORRA race (navigator). How many people use Leadnav? Does Leadnav provide a route for this race? I would like to download the satellite maps before the race but I don't want to download all of baja. I have paid for the "prerunner" package so that I can auto download along a course. But if I don't know the course prior to heading to Baja, how do I do it? Any tips? Thanks in advance!

Baja Dad

Reaction
They do not release the route until the day before you start,this is a Rally not a SCORE type event
You will get a ROADBOOK for each day with everything you need to know.

Have Fun and Be SAFE

Zambo

Reaction
This is going to be my first NORRA race (navigator). How many people use Leadnav? Does Leadnav provide a route for this race? I would like to download the satellite maps before the race but I don't want to download all of baja. I have paid for the "prerunner" package so that I can auto download along a course. But if I don't know the course prior to heading to Baja, how do I do it? Any tips? Thanks in advance!
Go to Murdock Nav and download last years course in .gpx format and import it into LeadNav. Then you can use that to see where the course goes and download whatever maps you want. This year may be somewhat different but I’d bet it’s 90% the same.

I personally don’t use a background map while racing. For chasing, the same file can be imported to Galileo pro or GAIA or other mapping apps if you’d rather use those. You may find they work better for general mapping.

The best thing about LeadNav is the audio waypoints. They are part of the advanced pack but I’m not clear on whether you need the advance pack to hear them on a downloaded course or if you just need the advance pack if you want to make your own audio waypoints.

punchdrunk monkey

Reaction
You are probably right on the maps. It's hard enough to see the Ipad while bouncing down the road. And during the race isn't the time to find creative lines.

BajaJT

Reaction
We used Lead Nav in last years NORRA, and like it, this year we will have a more currant I Pad, as it dropped Lead Nav a few times, especially liked to voice commands and how it told us about the speed zones.
Using again this year.

punchdrunk monkey

Reaction
We used Lead Nav in last years NORRA, and like it, this year we will have a more currant I Pad, as it dropped Lead Nav a few times, especially liked to voice commands and how it told us about the speed zones.
Using again this year.
Did Leadnav provide the route with voice commands?

jeff

Reaction
Did Leadnav provide the route with voice commands?
Yes, last year (2017) LeadNAV did provide the necessary files with voice commands. They did so only a few days before the race. LeadNAV was helpful when it worked but the ol' Fishfinder with basic waypoints and course notes was just as useful. I agree with BajaJT about the speed zones... with LeadNAV running you knew almost exactly where they were going to start and end. Between a fishfinder style GPS, LeadNav, Stella and the road books you really couldn't screw up the navigation side of things. Stella is out for 2018 but NORRA is using a similar tracker that should be a good replacement.

Aloha

BajaJT

Reaction
Jeff
Is right on!
We had trouble with our GPS, but with two other back ups (Lead Nav and the route book) it is pretty hard to screw up.

punchdrunk monkey

Reaction
Thanks guys! This is my first Norra race and I'm getting excited! I've got a few other "newbie" but I'll make another post for those. LOL