LeadNav: What are your experiences? Any options similar for Android?

ATRacing

Reaction
Hi,
I have been hearing great things about LeadNav, and would be curious to hear what those of you whom use it think of it. What package are you using for your prerunning and racing.

Does anyone know of a similar option for windows or Android phones and tablets?

Thanks for your help as usual

All the best

Andrea

johndjmix

Reaction
The guy (sorry forgot your name from when we chatted at bwdc) puts his heart and soul into LeadNav. He has come out with custom mounts and even has an entire office dedicated to it. Staff and all.

He goes to all the races and sets up.

I've never seen this kind of commitment put into an app.

The app itself kicks ass too :). Run it in our chase trucks.

--John

Trophylite #6013
Dunarri LLC
WildPowerSports.com
coolermods.com

mwr352

Reaction
I have heard people are racing with it instead of a lowrance? Is this true? How does it work? Do we have co-drivers holding a Ipad? I used it for racing the bike last year in baja but didnt seem to be as accurate and fast as the lowrance. Comments?

pwerwagn

Reaction
I have heard people are racing with it instead of a lowrance? Is this true? How does it work? Do we have co-drivers holding a Ipad? I used it for racing the bike last year in baja but didnt seem to be as accurate and fast as the lowrance. Comments?

Both leadnav and mobarmor make pretty legit ipad/phone mounts. I have a mob armor one...and its awesome.

LeadNav Hardware Supply
Mob Armor

J Prich

Reaction
Dear @MADMEDIA ... maybe an RDC feature story on LeadNav? Lots of questions from a lot of people interested in "new technology"....maybe a GPS vs Leadnav/App kind of thing to weigh the pros and cons, etc. Probably would be a lot of people interested in that information.

Brandt_Anderson

"Rag Doll"
Reaction
I believe the update speed and accuracy is something you can increase with an external "puck" and a setting adjustment in the app. I never was able to figure it out when I tried, but that was a couple years ago, and I didn't try all that hard. I would love to get some instruction on this as well...the RDC feature story is definitely something I would read and share. I would love to have this setup for the NORRA Race.

racer_dude

Back2Back TL Champ!
Reaction
I have been using LeadNav for a year and a half? now. Both Iphone and Ipad.

I started with it on the bars of my dirtbike while prerunning, then transitioned to the Ipad (Air 2) in the race truck(s). The trucks are utilizing a MobArmor mount and a Dual Electronics GPS puck for 10mhz updates (same or faster than the high end Lowrance units).

I unfortunately switched to Apple products for their apps, this being one of them. Not sure if there is anything comparable in the android arena yet.

Nothing but awesome things to say so far, a few things could be a little more user friendly for the first few times you play with the app, but you can overcome them.

ATRacing

Reaction
Thanks to everyone for your comments and replies. Indeed, I think that it would be great to read a story on LeadNav, some more info on their uses and recommendations. Really nice to read that they are obviously investing a ton of attention and efforts into making our sport better and more user friendly!
Do those of you whom use it, use the Map Box package for racing and pre-running, or do you have to go for the Pro package?
Also, I see that LeadNav was in the process of making an Android version, however that seems to have fallen short. That is a shame as it would be nice, and probably a lot cheaper to be able to use an Android tablet, and I would think that it would be really useful to be able to use a tablet with removable SD memory card. Anyone know if LeadNav still have Android version in the works?

Thanks again :)

D-rek

Reaction
I have an Ipad mini in my RZR with the Dual GPS module. It is awesome I love it. I have the advanced map package. I have a lowrance in the racecar and if I was to keep racing I would be switching.

Zambo

Reaction
LeadNav works pretty good. Yes you can race with it. The voice alerts are very handy and would be a must have in a single seat car.

A few things I would change though to make it much better in my opinion:
Make the range scale MUCH easier to read. It shouldn't be a tiny legend but a big scale that goes all the way to the top of the screen and perhaps some range rings.
Move the vehicle symbol lower on the screen so you can see more trail in front of you.
Less text next to the waypoints on the screen. It is too cluttered. The big box at the top which clearly says what the next waypoint is works great.
Make the route line magenta, which is a navigation standard and also so that red icons pop out better. Or better yet make it so you can customize the route color.
Make it so when you select map: none, that the background is black rather than bright gray.

Kilian

_
Reaction
Can you download larger areas, say down to 18 zoom, all in one download?

For example, can I download the entire Mint 400 race course, at 18zoom, all at once?

Last time I used this for the Baja 1000 and if I wanted it detailed at different zooms I manually downloaded everything. Had literally hundreds and hundreds of downloads..

masleca

Reaction
If you go to the Lead-Nav site and join the Forum...(or even just ask Damian at the races), you will find answers to almost all of the questions above.
I believe that custom colors is in the works....the range rings is already in there...etc...
The Q&A section of the LeadNav site is pretty good and getting stronger. Join it and help it get there !!!

I am told that the Android problem is less with Lead-Nav than it is with Android (constant Android updates make it too unstable to program consistently for,,,,but I better let the Lead-Nav people answer this stuff).

I have Raced, Pre-run and just "played around" with this package and it's the strongest thing going.

For practice, I mark trail on the drive to work, on the fly, practice editing it at night at home and follow it again the next day going to work.

This is a cheap easy way to get your whole Team (Pits and Chasers) looking at the same data.

Go to Parker and look inside some of the Top Vehicles and you will see a lot of Ipads !!!
We're not there yet, but I know of a couple cars that are using Lead-Nav only, with no Lowrance as Back-up.
This is in it's early stages, but save your Lowrance for Fishing :)

racer_dude

Back2Back TL Champ!
Reaction
Range rings are already in LeadNav, and have been for some time.

Yes, changing color for each "trail" like we have been doing for years on Lowrance was something I bugged them about. It would be nice to know and separate each time I prerun a section, which line we took if we liked one better for race day.

Kilian - Yes you can download the whole course at once at a set zoom level. You must purchase the Pro Pack, and then it has an option to "save along route". Works great for long races. No more saving individual tiles for hours before a Baja 1000

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
LeadNav is an awesome app for sure. Great for more than just racing and your small investment in the app and the relatively small investment into an iPad that can be used in more than just your race truck makes this combo very hard to beat.

J Prich

Reaction
LeadNav is an awesome app for sure. Great for more than just racing and your small investment in the app and the relatively small investment into an iPad that can be used in more than just your race truck makes this combo very hard to beat.
This is one of the big pluses to me...portability. Being able to pull it from one vehicle to another...and use the iPad for other things like you said.

GBRACER

Reaction
How is reading an Ipad in the sun, I try to look at mine in the out doors and cannot see anything do not have the app.

LantanaTX

Reaction
The NORRA race director spoke to me about using leadNav and he was pretty insistent that I use it as he thinks it is a safety issue for single seat cars like I drive to not have. NORRA does not allow pre-running and does not mark the course. The dangers do not show up on the GPS file when zoomed to .8 NORRA provides a road book with all information but you really can't use that and drive.

LeadNav can replace both the Lowrance and co-driver. Getting the course into leadNav is not that hard but getting all the turn by turn instructions in takes a lot of work which I believe LeadNav has been doing. For NORRA I know that the entire road book is being programed in.

It only works on Apple as of now. It is speed sensitive so that you are notified of a turn or danger with enough time slowdown.

PCI sells a special cable for single seat cars for $99 to work with a Kenwood radio. PCI told me that the system works well with earbuds but if you are using speaker in your helmet you need to go on Ebay buy a Busteero amplifier. If you have a PCI type intercom you need nothing. PCI did say they made the special cable for a current Class 1 single seat racer (I wonder who that might be? ;)

We haven't decided 100% if we will use it. If we did we will keep the Lowrance as a back up. For a single seat racer, NORRA really teaches you to read the course and check the GPS. I have gotten pretty good at doing this. The only time I could use more help is the !!! dangers and narrow forks in the course. Often each choice of forks is burned in from other going the wrong way. I am not sure I want all the chatter since I am used to quiet while racing.

pciscott

Reaction
Lowrance or Leadnav is a question I get all the time,

My answer is Hybrid.

Hybrid with both is the way to go. The brightness of the Lowrance screen is hard to beat as far as seeing and reading the line of the race course and the Lowrance units are solid and proven in a race environment. With that said the Leadnav guys offer up some pretty sweet features that you will not get on the Lowrance system. We make cables to integrate Leadnav audio into our intercom systems, and the Bluetooth upgrade on a Com 10 Elite allows you to link your phone with Leadnav notes into your intercom Audio stream. A Ipad will link to Com 10 Elite Bluetooth as well or cables work if you do not have a Bluetooth intercom. If charging your Ipad you will need a Special 9pin Isolator (part number 378) in line so you do not add noise from Ipad charging into your intercom if you are going with a wired connection. The Wired Aux in cable for Ipad is part number 2368 to put audio into your Ipad.

I used the Leadnav system last year at Norra and was very impressed with the added features and voice call outs of the road book in my intercom. For the average guy prerunning and putting his own notes in it is a little more work and somewhat technical. For those that have the time the Virtual Co-Driver Leadnav has introduced is very impressive and I am sure the Leadnav technology does help get you to the finish line faster!

EMS702

Rescue 1
Reaction
Lowrance or Leadnav is a question I get all the time,

My answer is Hybrid.

Hybrid with both is the way to go. The brightness of the Lowrance screen is hard to beat as far as seeing and reading the line of the race course and the Lowrance units are solid and proven in a race environment. With that said the Leadnav guys offer up some pretty sweet features that you will not get on the Lowrance system. We make cables to integrate Leadnav audio into our intercom systems, and the Bluetooth upgrade on a Com 10 Elite allows you to link your phone with Leadnav notes into your intercom Audio stream. A Ipad will link to Com 10 Elite Bluetooth as well or cables work if you do not have a Bluetooth intercom. If charging your Ipad you will need a Special 9pin Isolator (part number 378) in line so you do not add noise from Ipad charging into your intercom if you are going with a wired connection. The Wired Aux in cable for Ipad is part number 2368 to put audio into your Ipad.

I used the Leadnav system last year at Norra and was very impressed with the added features and voice call outs of the road book in my intercom. For the average guy prerunning and putting his own notes in it is a little more work and somewhat technical. For those that have the time the Virtual Co-Driver Leadnav has introduced is very impressive and I am sure the Leadnav technology does help get you to the finish line faster!
If I wanted it just for local trails and doing rescue at the races is this a better option that buying Lowrance?