Leaf Spring Bushings and Shackles

ChromolyKid

It never used to be such a big problem, but the deavers on my truck have gotten really annoying lately. All KINDS of popping, squeaking, and tinging noises coming from the leafs. From some of the other topics I've read on here, I'm beginning to suspect the bushings. It's a spring over, shackle under kit. I'm curious as to what I can do to either find or eliminate the problem??

I know it's not a great picture of the topic, but it's all I've got at the moment.

If it IS the bushings, should I buy Delrins or Deaver's Baja Bushings? And what should I use for the lower bushings on the shackles? Delrins as well?

I've been trying to track down what's making these noises forever, and I know it's not the frame, the cage, the axle, the driveshaft, or the shocks. I'm 90% sure it's the leafs. Anybody have any experience with what can be done to help quiet down the rear end? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Giant Geoff

Squirt the bushings with spray lube (not WD-40) and you’ll know if it is the springs or not?

ChromolyKid

Squirt the bushings with spray lube (not WD-40) and you’ll know if it is the springs or not?
I tried that with Silicon Lube and it didn't help much. I'm not sure if it's just not soaking in far enough, or if maybe the bushings are just too worn or cracked?

ChromolyKid

your leaves could have rocks and dirt in them...
That's very likely... But would it make THAT much noise?

Either way, I'm just going to take it down to Deaver and let them work their magic. I can't seem to eliminate any noise from the rear end no matter how many zip ties, JB welds, or lubricants I use.

Hopefully Deaver won't be too expensive to freshen everything up! :confused:

soncho 1

check your spring mounts where the bolt goes through may be oblonged. My 97 chevy did this so i just plated the mounts with 3/8'' plate and no more m80 under the bed popping.

ChromolyKid

check your spring mounts where the bolt goes through may be oblonged. My 97 chevy did this so i just plated the mounts with 3/8'' plate and no more m80 under the bed popping.
Are you talking about where the spring mounts to the axle or to the frame? And which bolt? I recently checked all the mounts and they were all tight, straight, and in good condition. Nothing cracked or warped. I'm not sure what you're describing though.

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
I think he's referring to where the lower shackle bolt passes through the frame mount. The holes in the frame mount will wear and start to oval out. It couldn't hurt to check the front spring mounts for the same type of wear. I used your photo and circled the areas to look at.

ChromolyKid

I think he's referring to where the lower shackle bolt passes through the frame mount. The holes in the frame mount will wear and start to oval out. It couldn't hurt to check the front spring mounts for the same type of wear. I used your photo and circled the areas to look at.

Oh ok, thanks for the explanation. I'll check that out as soon as I can.

gr8dane

FCORR

Hopefully Deaver won't be too expensive to freshen everything up! :confused:
FYI Deaver charges about $150 to "race prep" a set of springs, new bushings would cost you extra. However you can pop out your old bushings and regrease them...

Wahl_7s

Those springs look pretty haggered I think a prep is in order!:D

retroblazer

No real mystery involved, just labor. Pull everything apart, clean and reassemble with fresh grease. Pulling the leaf packs apart, cleaning,then a light coat of grease can't hurt either. We do it almost after every race. If you have the cash, Deaver is more than fair for the work that they perform.

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
FYI Deaver charges about $150 to "race prep" a set of springs, new bushings would cost you extra. However you can pop out your old bushings and regrease them...
They make you pay for the bushings?

ChromolyKid

So it would be roughly $300 total? $150 for "race prep" and about $150 for the bushings? Do you think they have the bushings to replace the ones on the bottom of the shackle? I think those are making most of the noise...

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Two months ago I paid Deaver $150 to race prep my leaf springs, that included new rubber bushings pressed into the leaf packs. The last time I bought the red urethane shackle bushings, I paid $12 for a set of two. If you go with Delrin bushings, they will cost more though I'm not positive on how much.

Wahl_7s

I just run the urethane bushings, cheap and I don't have any problems! But I think the double shear is huge. It's hard to tell if they squeak with the shock tube valves clackin' and every thing else back there.