Leaf spring question

PatrickG

Reaction
Today my little brother told me to go look at his truck, to which I noticed his leaf had broken before the front hanger. His truck is lowered with a mono leaf, and he said he noticed when it broke because it threw him in the dirt. He's wondering could he flip that leaf around to make a trailing arm type setup (which would be only temporary) until he could link it, or does he need to go get a new leaf.
Thanks
Patrick

Tyson

Reaction
I would think that a mono leaf for a trailing arm wouldn't be strong enough. I'd say have him goto a junk yard and pick up a leaf spring for like 40 bucks.

Look at me, I can fly

MY WEB SITE</font color=red>

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
I got a brand new pair of Downey Leafs for my Toyota for $100 for the pair! Thats regular price too! They have lasted for 7 months so far.

Go Big Or Go Home
*UBCS 4 Life*

TDORSloppy

Reaction
If his truck is lowered tell him to get A) A lift. B) Sell the truck. or C) Try using the main leafs off a 96 or newer Toyota 4WD. Ecology Auto Wrecking had a pair for $75. The Tacoma leafs have a negative arch which are good for lowering. All you have to do is take out the rest of the leafs and I even think it's military wraped.

PatrickG

Reaction
Well lifting and selling the truck is out of the question, especially since he's hard on his truck on the street. If it was lifted he'd really break it. I will have him try ecology since its in the garage and not moving right now.

PatrickG

Reaction
Well he ended up fliping the leaf around and drilling a new pin hole. I rode in it yesterday and It
worked ok. I unattached leaf in the back hits the frame on corners or bumps when there is no air in
the rear but It felt like before.
thanks
Patrick

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
May wan to keep an eye on the hole you drilled, It most likely will spiderweb and break again, right Greg?

<font color=red>PAT KAPKO</font color=red>
<font color=yellow>Self appointed King of ghetto fab/Rally rookie</font color=yellow>

PatrickG

Reaction
Thats only temporary until we 4 link it or put a supra independent rear in it. But I'll have him keep an eye on that spring.
Patrick

Greg

Reaction
Wha, wah, what are you talking about??? That leaf pack was doomed from the get go (it was soo bad someone was throwing it away) but I "freshened" it up and it lasted almost a whole year. It was a good lesson about stress risers.

Greg