leafs w/ bypass VS 4 link w/ coilovers

geoff

Reaction
I finally have enough money to build the rear end. For now it will jsut be an 8" toyota rear, but ill worry about something else down the road.

The dilemma im at is this. It will cost basically the same amount to get either a set of 62" deavers and a 2.5x17 4 tube bypass w/ 2 comp tubes and 2 rebound tubes or to build a 4 link with some 2.5 x 16" coil overs. The truck will probably never be raced becuase it is turbo and standalone efi but i really like going fast.

this is the age old stupid debate, but if anyone has made the switch from long leafs to a 4 link or vice-versa id love to hear your input. Or if erik has anything to add... thanks.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." -- Willy Wonka

singlehanded

Reaction
Are you buildins the trailing arms? How do you figure it will cost the same? I wouldnt personally run a 4 link with just a 2.5 coilover, I would add a bypass. Why 4 tubes if its not a race truck?I would definitly go 4LINK.....and add a bypass

midnight landscaper working overtime and I'm full throttle I'm full throttle tonight

geoff

Reaction
i own a fab shop. we do zero off road stuff, just drag and road race stuff and the reason i didnt really want to add a bypass into the mix with the 4 link was simply becuase of costs. trying to keep this relatively low budget (even tho that is proving to be somewhat pointless)

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." -- Willy Wonka

michael

Reaction
I don't remember if you were involved in this thread or not, so here ya go. This should be page 5...go about half way down and see the post fro billymanfroy. He just put a 4-link on his Ranger and seems to love it.
mkparker.com/goose

geoff

Reaction
hey i appreciate that, i read thru the whole post twice, it definately took a long time =)

Im still thinking about the main point which makes the 4 link most desirable -- the anti lift eg squat. As fabricator put it, getting the front end light to wheelie over all the rough stuff is definately key, i love watching the trophy trucks front ends just float over everything.

anyway i found some 18" threaded coil overs in the classifieds for 650 and the other people i have emailed havent gotten back to me, so i may go the 4 link route, however ive read a number of chassis books and i think i wont totally know how the geometry is going to work out until i start mocking it up on the truck... i think more people need to start a lower links 202 =)

how many people on here actually fabricate 4 links, and how many actaully design them? Most of the guys on pirate 4x4 just weld some steam pipe and have at it...

the god of suspension thread is interesting tho and worth a read.

drtdevil93

Reaction
my opinions: on a trophy truck, a 3/4 link is necessary. leaf springs couldnt supply the travel and durability needed. (quarter elliptics could, but thats still a 3/4 link).

on a mini truck (say 4000 lbs and less): a leaf spring can work just as good, and i believe possibly better. if i though a 3 link would make my truck faster, i would have one on my truck, which i dont.

leaf springs DO have geometry involved. anti-squat and anti-rise do exist. the advantage leaf springs have are their progression. they have built into them what compares to an awesome motion ratio.

i built my truck with the intention of showing people what a leaf spring truck can do. i believe when everything i want is done to my truck, there wont be a mini truck that can keep up, 3 link or not.

erik

PS geoff: 3" 4 tube bypass? a 3" 3 tube should be more than enough. and a 3 link without a bypass is like a trophy truck with 26" tall tires, just aint right; USUALLY.

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
I have 62" leafs on my Tacoma and love them. They handle everything i throw at it like a champ. I don't think that a Tacoma with the exact same front end as me, and same engine mods, and a 4/3 Link will be any faster then my truck.

If you don't plan on racing it, like the others said the 4 tube may not be necessary. Also I would use a 18" stroke shocks if you go the 62" route.

Race-Dezert Anonymous - Step #1:
"Hello, my name is Jason. And I'm a Race-Dezertaholic."

geoff

Reaction
the only reason i was gonna go with those shocks is b/c i know of a killer deal on a set.. they are 2.5" 4 tube

hbprnstr

Reaction
I would suggest going with the 62's also. I'm putting a set up on my truck that will be very similar to what jason has. In the long run it will be alot cheeper then a 3 or 4 link plus it is alot easier to set up the geometry and plung.